• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Dry Fire Training...who uses what and why did you select or settle on that form of dry-fire training?
    I'm considering one of two forms of dry-fire training set up for home-based + trigger training...
    1. Mantis Laser Acadamy Training System
    2. SIRT Training System

Anything else anyone else can suggest or uses...and why?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I literally just ordered the Mantis Academy system. I have been dry training pretty regularly the last 5 years and pretty heavy in the winter. Not sure if any of these systems will be much of a benefit over regular dry training, but I am willing to give it a shot.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    No need for that fancy tech. A target is all you need. You dry fire enough times you will know when your sights are not aligned when the hammer falls. Good tech may accelerate that process but it will not compensate for bad technique. As a rule before a match, I will dry fire the entire course of fire. My focus when dry firing is 1st sight alignment when the hammer falls, keeping sight picture as best as I can. Disclaimer I have never used any of the mentioned techs because I am cheap.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    No need for that fancy tech. A target is all you need. You dry fire enough times you will know when your sights are not aligned when the hammer falls. Good tech may accelerate that process but it will not compensate for bad technique. As a rule before a match, I will dry fire the entire course of fire. My focus when dry firing is 1st sight alignment when the hammer falls, keeping sight picture as best as I can. Disclaimer I have never used any of the mentioned techs because I am cheap.
    What kind of matches do you shoot that allow you to dry fire the whole thing? I do have banners so that I can dry fire Steel Challenge stages

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I shoot NRA Precision Pistol, formerly known as NRA Conventional Pistol. Also known as Bullseye. The course of fire is from the same firing point. I have to simulate the rapid and timed firing portion, because of the need to reset the hammer it is not a true timed simulation but that's not the point of dry firing, at least for me.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I just use my pistol without ammo. I think one of those systems would be cool, but I'm not yet dedicated enough to warrant the investment.

I chose this system due to cost; $10 or so for snap caps.
    I've used snap caps in the past...but played with a buddy's laser (bore sighter laser) over Thanksgiving and decided I wanted to get a little 'fancier' at home...utilizing the 'Christmas Gift List' process of acquisition!

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I use all three methods. I use my daily carry pistol and snap caps. (I also dryfire and practice reloads with my AK, AR and 870)
    I use the SIRT gun and have for about 4 years. Combining it with the laptop and software is really a great tool.
    I use the Mantis for fine tuning and drilling into my trigger break, smoothness etc. It really helps get my groups into the poker chip size, and faster from the draw.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg

I believe that is true. You don't need something like the mantis but what I am finding is that the mantis products keep me interested in dry firing and make it a whole lot more fun.

For anyone that does use mantis, don't forget to join the 'ingo' group. I see we got a couple joins but could use more!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That Mantis system does look pretty cool. I am somewhat of a data junkie and the X3 looks enticing.

I'm not going to take the plunge since I'm still on the fence whether I will continue shooting as a sport into the coming years.

But it is neat tech.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I understand not using the tech, but I do find measuring my improvement with tech helps me get better. The tech helped me find my weaknesses and work on them. I do actually dryfire the most without tech now, but still use the tech to make sure I'm not getting worse.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I purchased a G-sight laser cartridge in late 2019 to work on dry fire. I found it to be extremely helpful as a diagnostic aid and saw measurable improvement. Over 2021 as my ammo issue became severe, I found myself only shooting live fire during matches and spending LOTS of time dry firing.

I was somewhat dissapointed that my local match standings began to get worse. One of our usual match participants even asked me what was going on, as he noted I was suddenly shooting low left consistently with larger groups.

After some reflection I realized what I had done. I had been focusing on speed to first shot, and had allowed my grip to become sloppy. In the real world, with recoil, that quickly manifested itself in all manner of ills.

I am now spending much more effort on making sure my grip, trigger press, and sight alignment are correct over pushing for speed during dry fire, and seeing a return to my prior level of competence.

I would like to try the Mantis system, as I believe it would show grip deficiencies that a laser cartridge alone cannot.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I purchased a G-sight laser cartridge in late 2019 to work on dry fire. I found it to be extremely helpful as a diagnostic aid and saw measurable improvement. Over 2021 as my ammo issue became severe, I found myself only shooting live fire during matches and spending LOTS of time dry firing.

I was somewhat dissapointed that my local match standings began to get worse. One of our usual match participants even asked me what was going on, as he noted I was suddenly shooting low left consistently with larger groups.

After some reflection I realized what I had done. I had been focusing on speed to first shot, and had allowed my grip to become sloppy. In the real world, with recoil, that quickly manifested itself in all manner of ills.

I am now spending much more effort on making sure my grip, trigger press, and sight alignment are correct over pushing for speed during dry fire, and seeing a return to my prior level of competence.

I would like to try the Mantis system, as I believe it would show grip deficiencies that a laser cartridge alone cannot.
    I think it would help point out to me how my grip gets looser while firing strings rapidly. Though I suppose I already know that.:n00b:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    My Mantis Laser Academy system came today. I got it set up and running tonight. It is pretty cool. Definitely fun. I think it will be valuable for some things, not so much for others. It is going to take me a while to figure out how to exploit all of its features. It is probably more useful with a double action gun instead of striker fired as you have to reset your trigger for every shot. On things like draw and accelerated press it was definitely keeping me honest. I am not a techy guy but it is pretty easy to use which I appreciate. I am going to give it a honest try. Bonus is that my wife and daughter both wanted to try it.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    My Mantis Laser Academy system came today. I got it set up and running tonight. It is pretty cool. Definitely fun. I think it will be valuable for some things, not so much for others. It is going to take me a while to figure out how to exploit all of its features. It is probably more useful with a double action gun instead of striker fired as you have to reset your trigger for every shot. On things like draw and accelerated press it was definitely keeping me honest. I am not a techy guy but it is pretty easy to use which I appreciate. I am going to give it a honest try. Bonus is that my wife and daughter both wanted to try it.

Start working through the courses. They are fun plus they send you a patch for each one you complete.

Top Bottom