• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I'm finding that using an electronic version of dry-fire practice helps me to better identify issues regarding a steady grip and trigger press control.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    My Mantis Laser Academy system came today. I got it set up and running tonight. It is pretty cool. Definitely fun. I think it will be valuable for some things, not so much for others. It is going to take me a while to figure out how to exploit all of its features. It is probably more useful with a double action gun instead of striker fired as you have to reset your trigger for every shot. On things like draw and accelerated press it was definitely keeping me honest. I am not a techy guy but it is pretty easy to use which I appreciate. I am going to give it a honest try. Bonus is that my wife and daughter both wanted to try it.
    Did you get the standard or portable kit?

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I bought a laser cartridge some time ago, but haven't used as much as I should. It works well.

I just started using a shot timer app called "Splits" (free on Play Store and probably iPhone App Store). This may sound kind of "ghetto," but, if you say "Bang!" (or probably any word you want to use) when you pull the trigger, it will pick up the sound and register the time. I was using it to work on my draw from concealment.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not really dry firing, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

I went to range today which will be the last time this year. I made it 38 times, not including shooting a couple conceal carry events and one Steel Challenge this year.

Based on an average of 125 rounds per visit, I expended around 5000 rounds if I include the events I did.

I will set a goal to make it more next year. Based on that I will have plenty of ammo for next year. Not quite enough reloads to run those exclusively but close. And I have enough factory to fill in the difference.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Not really dry firing, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

I went to range today which will be the last time this year. I made it 38 times, not including shooting a couple conceal carry events and one Steel Challenge this year.

Based on an average of 125 rounds per visit, I expended around 5000 rounds if I include the events I did.

I will set a goal to make it more next year. Based on that I will have plenty of ammo for next year. Not quite enough reloads to run those exclusively but close. And I have enough factory to fill in the difference.
    Thanks for the reminder to total my range book up. It was a low round year for sure.

Practice; 84 trips to range totaling 11,201 rds of 9mm. (not sure how much .22)
    IDPA matches; 18, shooting approximately 1,800 rds.
    Classes: Just one I think, the Dave Spaulding one. 200 rds.
    Dry fire; Maybe 200ish sessions. Thankfully no ammo expended!

I hope to increase dry fire next year and if the ammo availability continues to improve double my live fire.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the reminder to total my range book up. It was a low round year for sure.

Practice; 84 trips to range totaling 11,201 rds of 9mm. (not sure how much .22)
    IDPA matches; 18, shooting approximately 1,800 rds.
    Classes: Just one I think, the Dave Spaulding one. 200 rds.
    Dry fire; Maybe 200ish sessions. Thankfully no ammo expended!

I hope to increase dry fire next year and if the ammo availability continues to improve double my live fire.
    Wow, that's pretty good. I may as well give up, lol.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Unfortunately I am one of those people that need to practice a lot to get better. I would like to think I am getting smarter with both my dry and live fire and will be able to see more improvements with less volume.
    I would like to think if I put your kind of practice time in, I'd actually get somewhat competent at this.

Maybe I need to lower my expectations based on how little I shoot. Being a classic overthinker, I have to do thousands and thousands of reps to get something down.

So I suppose if I base my progress 10,000 reps to become competent, by the end of 2022 I should be fairly competent.

Maybe 2023 will be the year I start shooting USPSA or IDPA...

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    @cedartop and @nucular how do you rate your Laser Academy experience a few years on?

I'm looking at it specifically to practice draw to first shot for time and accuracy as I'm looking to switch to a DA/SA hammer fired gun and AIWB. A whole lot of muscle memory to learn/re-learn/un-learn... plus the long DA first shot... well you get the point, lol!

Looks like in the time since this thread opened, they've add IDPA/USPA/FBI_QUAL targets.

A lot of talk in here about something called a hammer. What's that? :scratch:
    It's this new thing that helps keep you from shooting your **** off in AIWB! :lmfao:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    @cedartop and @nucular how do you rate your Laser Academy experience a few years on?

I'm looking at it specifically to practice draw to first shot for time and accuracy as I'm looking to switch to a DA/SA hammer fired gun and AIWB. A whole lot of muscle memory to learn/re-learn/un-learn... plus the long DA first shot... well you get the point, lol!

Looks like in the time since this thread opened, they've add IDPA/USPA/FBI_QUAL targets.

It's this new thing that helps keep you from shooting your **** off in AIWB! :lmfao:
    Well, I find it helpful but not necessary. Currently I dry fire 2 times a day but haven't used the Laser Academy since it got warm enough to go outside. I set up stages and scenarios in the back yard. Probably my favorite thing on the LA is the one where it is shapes and numbers and it calls it out so it is a surprise. If you are honest with yourself when dry firing you really don't need any tools, however things like this can help keep you honest with shot calling and keep things interesting.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I still like using the LA. They provide new drills occasionally and it helps me with draw to first shot timing/accuracy which non-laser dry fire doesn't do. It was well worth the money IMO.

Top Bottom