• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ashton1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I have a mantisX and a laser cartridge and try to do dry fire multiple times a week. I worry that I am training myself to rack the slide between every shot, and frankly don't enjoy racking the slide as much as I enjoy pulling the trigger. I am looking at getting a SA/DA pistol that I can train with so I can get more trigger pull reps in. Thinking about a m9, or a cz75 or variant/clone of either. are there other SA/DA pistols which I should consider to train my trigger finger, with a rail, preferably without spending more than 500?
    Thanks in advance

erasure

komm süßer tod
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2020
    merrrerrrmrerrerverre
    So hear me out, for around $600 you could get a 40 S&W SIG P229 or P226 and have a legitimately nice gun. Since 40 is not popular any more the guns are dirt cheap.
    My first thought was also 'classic Sig' and that seems like a nice deal. Also there are barrels/mags available to convert both those to 9mm, if I remember right.

Ashton1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    the walther p99 should also be a reasonable option if I can find it for a nice low price?
    I loath to get a pistol I have no interest in having any ammunition for.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    So don't rack the slide. If you're training for practical/tactical shooting (ie, non-precision-bullseye type stuff), just mash the trigger. You're just training to see a good sight picture and mash with the amount of force needed to drop the firing pin, without jacking sight alignment. You don't need a "click" to get quality reps in for that.

You don't need a Mantis system, either, but I'll leave that alone.

Cycling a double action trigger over and over again, if you don't intend to use that type of gun for your purposes, is over-valuing the "click" of the firing pin. It's not that important. I used to hunt and hunt for a SIG 250 for this very reason, until I figured out it's just not important.

Incidentally, if you want clicks, and can find a SIG 320 that hasn't had the "voluntary recall" mods done to it, it will click away all day, with about the same amount of force needed to drop the striker, without racking the slide or the striker actually being cocked.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    There are a LOT of options for $500.
    -CZs are awesome but some models will wear through a roll pin with excessive dry fire (<$10 for upgraded replacement or use a snap cap) along with any number of clones.
    -Taurus G2, G3, G4
    -Walther P99 but make sure you get the right one, there was a DAO, SAO, and DA/SA

Just walk into any gun store and ask what they have.

The Mantis should have come with adapters for a barrel (IE using a cheap old revolver) and a pic rail section to attach to a mag baseplate. unless that was only the premium package?

Edit: What do you normally shoot? There are plusses & minuses about going to DAO or D/S. You'll build finger strength, you'll be practicing a more difficult movement and therefore be better at it overall (meaning everything else is easier) but if you're practicing something atypical to your carry gun it may or may not be great, as others have mentioned. That being said, light, short trick triggers cover up a lot of really bad habits that a DA won't tolerate. I carry a DA/SA and >90% of my dry fire is just DA though.

Last edited:

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    There’s also something called a DryFire mag that resets the trigger on Glocks (maybe for other platforms as well, I’m not sure). I got one as a Christmas present a while back and it works pretty well, actually.

But for DA/SA, I’m a big fan of Beretta, Class Sig P-series, and CZs. HK puts out several good options but they’re generally more expensive and I find they don’t feel as good to me (and mags are awful expensive).

Then there are the classic Gen3 Smith & Wesson autos, but as nice as they are, I find I’m only interested in decocker-only pistols if they have a slide-mounted safety. That drops you down to only a handful of harder-to-find and thus more collectible/expensive options like the 4006TSW (which I REALLY want, despite it being in .40). The standard models can be had for around your budget sometimes though, and they really are very nicely built little tanks!

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Big if here, but IF...you can find an older P320 that has not had the recall upgrade, you do not have rack the slide between trigger pulls.

It is the reason I have not sent mine in yet.

Also, Sig Guy on YouTube recently posted a video that he is creating P320 reset part that drops in with no permanent mods required.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I have a mantisX and a laser cartridge and try to do dry fire multiple times a week. I worry that I am training myself to rack the slide between every shot, and frankly don't enjoy racking the slide as much as I enjoy pulling the trigger. I am looking at getting a SA/DA pistol that I can train with so I can get more trigger pull reps in. Thinking about a m9, or a cz75 or variant/clone of either. are there other SA/DA pistols which I should consider to train my trigger finger, with a rail, preferably without spending more than 500?
    Thanks in advance
    Ruger P series- no longer made, but I got a laser target setup for Christmas, should work great with my P90 .45 acp. Haven't gotten it out of the box yet, though

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Cz's get smoother with each pull, as do most sa/da guns. But there's something about the 75's which make it really appealing to dry fire.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, so you don't have a SA/DA handgun now, but are thinking of switching over to facilitate dry firing - is that right?

Seems like it would be easier/simpler to just get a SIRT for training rather than change your whole system over.

https://nextleveltraining.com/

Love mine.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I forgot to mention: to save the roll pin on a CZ, put an o-ring over the firing pin so the hammer hits it instead of the actual firing pin. Saves the roll pin from taking a beating. ;)

Top Bottom