• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...It's too ingrained in the culture, too widely flouted, and too widely tolerated for laws to be effective. With significantly harsh penalties and wide cultural buy in you can tamp it down pretty effectively, but we don't have either of those. Confusing the arguments against drug laws vs drug use often gets people where you are at the moment with respect to other posters. ...
    ...I routinely see the murders over the 'victimless crime' of the drug trade...
    ...an underlying culture shift.

Maybe the needless fentinyl deaths of our children and others will open some eyes to the need for this cultural shift?

Our entire lives, we have been advertised the cool "adult" behavior of chemical intoxication for recreation. We need a lot more promotion that using poisons to change mental attitudes isn't cool at all.

Forget about the whole rehab industry and the exploding drug addled "transient, unhoused, homeless" that overun all of our big citys, the prisons are full of people mostly related to some form of mental problem tied to drugs or alcohol.

We need more promotion of being "high on life." That intoxicating chemicals are not necesary or even cool to put in one's body.

:twocents:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Maybe the needless fentinyl deaths of our children and others will open some eyes to the need for this cultural shift?

Our entire lives, we have been advertised the cool "adult" behavior of chemical intoxication for recreation. We need a lot more promotion that using poisons to change mental attitudes isn't cool at all.

Forget about the whole rehab industry and the exploding drug addled "transient, unhoused, homeless" that overun all of our big citys, the prisons are full of people mostly related to some form of mental problem tied to drugs or alcohol.

We need more promotion of being "high on life." That intoxicating chemicals are not necessary or even cool to put in one's body.

I can't really disagree with you there. I'm against drugs being illegal, but I'm not necessarily pro-drug.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

We need more promotion of being "high on life." That intoxicating chemicals are not necesary or even cool to put in one's body.

The world has been medicated since medication was found. We have know drugs are bad for awhile now in America. When was the first Fed drug laws here... 1848 with drug importation as I recall.
    We are still medicated, a portion of our population will always be medicated..
    Its not going to change.
    Some just choose to live life in a frying pan.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The world has been medicated since medication was found. We have know drugs are bad for awhile now in America. When was the first Fed drug laws here... 1848 with drug importation as I recall.
    Its not going to change.

I remember that commercial. It stuck with me all these years.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Its not going to change.

It CAN change for a lot of folks. We just have to want to change the culture from the accepted negatives. Maybe the fentanyl scurge of death will wake enough people up?

We need more respected people speaking out against the intoxication nation mindset. People speaking out and PSA's over the years, (along with a lot of lung cancer :xmad:,) changed minds and attitudes towards smoking. Smoking cigarettes is rare these days. We can do this with drugs and alcohol also.

BTW - This was my favorite anti-drug commercial from the 80's/90's...

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yep. I watched a girl od and die doing qualudes in 1972 while a few of us were skipping class in 8th grade. It left an indelible mark on me I will never forget. I carry no sads with addicts and poor personal choices.
    Addicts are pretty much done making choices. Compassion is looking at someone at their lowest possible point and offering them help. The most successful addiction program is AA, who builds their treatment on people admitting they can't do it alone and then providing structure and support.

So whether you have sads to give or not, our society will be better if we support and try to treat addicts, with appropriate boundaries in place.

Last edited:

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Same here. I'd rather see money spent on campaigns to convince people not to do drugs than money to arrest people for doing it.
    Dare programs just made kids think that the cool kids were doing drugs and gave everyone an education on what kind to try first. You say gateway drug and kids hear “try this one first”.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Its not going to change.

As an adult, I always thought "Just say no" would have been more effective if rephrased as "...because that's been up some dude's ass." Think of the commercials.

Anti-smoking campaigns worked pretty well, but they didn't have the entire music industry pushing back against the message. And it took decades. I don't think we saw similar success with anti-alcohol campaigns, either.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Just learned students in our district must consent to drug testing if they wish to attend homecoming dance. WTH?

How is this not a 4th amendment issue for a public school to do this?
    South Ripley about 10 years ago or so sent a letter home asking if it would be okay to search students and their lockers and test for drugs.
    I sent back a letter and told them sure right after they searched teachers desks, and personal belongings on school property and drug test the teachers.
    I think many parents must have felt the same way because they dropped it.
    I called and talked to the principal about drug testing teachers and he got irate.
    IIRC South Ripley had at least one teacher using oxy and was caught IIRC in Florida with it.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    When my kids were in school, any athlete that tested positive was not allowed to play sports. No counseling, no attempt to correct their decision, just no sports. Of course, the kid's response was do more drugs since there's nothing else to do.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    And parents.
    Are we getting anywhere with that #rolleyes emoji?

So you want to just randomly drug test the parents of children who are going to public schools? This train has gone WAY off the tracks....

We should probably do random GSR testing as well. If you test positive, live within the city limits and have not checked in with a shooting range in the last 24 hours you should immediately be arrested for discharging a firearm within city limits.

Last edited:

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean

You are never going to elicit a cultural shift. This is a delusional idea. Humans have been altering their reality since we climbed down outta trees.

Many of our hardline Christian/Catholic members would be surprised to learn that the origins of many of their religious "miracle" stories, traditions and practices started with the use of hallucinogens/mind altering natural chemical substances.

Catholic wine.....had ergot in it(think LSD) along with many other substances. That swinging metal thing with incense burning.....used to have marijuana in it. The burning bush.....may have contained DMT(Moses might have been stoned off his ass when that bush talked to him....shocker)

Stop trying to control the behavior of others.....you may find it has absolutely no impact on your life.

Top Bottom