• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Duck a little faster, and you could miss the point entirely next time.

This is NOT the message of the article, which you obviously didn't read.
    My sarcasm was in reference to some of the comments made about the article not the article itself.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Everything we "know" about drug sniffing dogs is apparently poppycock.

The Mind of a Police Dog - Reason Magazine

TL;DR version: The dogs are more interested in pleasing their handlers than finding drugs, so they tend to cue on the handler's body language. If the handler thinks there might be drugs, the dog is likely to ignore its own nose and signal anyway. Researchers have done some pretty solid experiments to back this up.

I would have to imagine that this article isn't "news" too most everyone who has ever owned a dog before.

Ive never liked the fact that they can bring out dogs and just throw out your rights based off of an animals response. I would bet a full paycheck on it, that somewhere in the country theres at least one department who teaches their dogs to hit on every car, or atleast has a signal to tell the dog which one they wanna search (probly one of those speed trap towns in GA). no way i will ever support ONLY a dog indicating on a car as reason to search.

Only 1 full paycheck? I'd bet everything I own on it.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I would have to imagine that this article isn't "news" too most everyone who has ever owned a dog before.
    The reason it's important though, is that as we're all well aware, reality and common sense as they exist in everyday life are often not clearly reflected in the courtroom.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    The reason it's important though, is that as we're all well aware, reality and common sense as they exist in everyday life are often not clearly reflected in the courtroom.

Balko was on Fox's Freedom Watch last night talking about this article. It's interesting how it was presented relative to science making it into the courtroom. What passes as science sometimes, may not work another.

It's currently on the front page so I will just link that.

Freedom Watch - FoxBusiness.com

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    sicke'm .... balls (not the throwing kind) :):

hahahahahaha...classic...

I wonder how many drug-sniffing dog handler/LEO arrests have gone to court where the LEO worked the dog, and they didn't find anything? It sure is hard to arrest somebody without EVIDENCE. Not to mention that the dogs indicate and the driver/vehicle owner either just used or transported narcotics recently. That odor sticks around. Yep - the dogs are that good. :yesway: ;)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I wonder how many drug-sniffing dog handler/LEO arrests have gone to court where the LEO worked the dog, and they didn't find anything?

Many. It works like this: the dog always alerts, the search is conducted and then something that cannot be smelled, stolen laptop computer, pills, inter alia is found. The police come in and say that Officer Chompy did smell something, it's not there, we don't know if anything was there, but, gosh, your honor, we really need to go on another doggie seminar with War on Drugs money.

How many times has the LEO worked the dog and found nothing? We don't know as the police refuse to keep stats. There is a 100% success rate for the dogs. There is no down side to a false alert as nothing happens to the motorists and it does not hurt Officer Chompy's batting average as it is not kept, or the police justify the false positive as "the smell was there, but the marijuana was there in 1995 or later!"

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    hahahahahaha...classic...

I wonder how many drug-sniffing dog handler/LEO arrests have gone to court where the LEO worked the dog, and they didn't find anything? It sure is hard to arrest somebody without EVIDENCE. Not to mention that the dogs indicate and the driver/vehicle owner either just used or transported narcotics recently. That odor sticks around. Yep - the dogs are that good. :yesway: ;)

i almost left an odor in your popo car the other night. it would have definitely stuck around :):
    i figured you'd give me the boot if I started grunting so I held it :laugh:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Many. It works like this: the dog always alerts, the search is conducted and then something that cannot be smelled, stolen laptop computer, pills, inter alia is found.

How many times has the LEO worked the dog and found nothing? We don't know as the police refuse to keep stats. There is a 100% success rate for the dogs.

I was going to post the same question but figured no stats were kept. If only 1 state out of 50 can be tasked with recording SWAT deployments, I figured the likelihood that such stats existed with regards to dog would be slim to none.

Seems as if the dog comes out, your car in going to overturned.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    The reason there are no numbers is because the officers don't arrest if there's no evidence... Odor is odor - it was there.

BTW - a handler can't cue a dog that's eyeball deep in between the cushions of the front seat and the handler is standing outside the car...jes sayin'...

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The dog is an officer and should not be allowed to search a vehicle.
    That makes me wonder... if I shoot a police dog, have I just "assaulted an officer"? If so, the dog should be bound by the rules of officers, as you suggest.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Office of the court would be my guess, but his oath is to make his handler happy. I think these dogs have their place but it is not in a traffic stop or anything else that requires consent.

How long before they walk up to your house and take the dog for a walk and say "FIDO smelled something, we are coming in and having a look around"

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    No one has even brought up the fact that "smell" is something that may or not be related to the actual presence of contraband. Particularly with the canine nose, else, tracking wouldn't be possible. Yes, I understand PC. I simply don't think, "I might have smelled something" is a legitimate excuse. This pops up from time to time in the used car/rental car markets.

Top Bottom