• ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    thems-fightin-words-3xqu7v.jpg

Both of my kids' stock 10/22s shoot well. I can ring 10" steel at 150 yards consistently.

My tricked out heavy barrel 10/22 is a tack driver.

Savages are good as well. Just not as customizable.
    With my stock 10/22 and Eley force mine shoots sub moa. You just have to find the ammunition the barrel likes.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    CONTEXT: My father explained to me long ago how versatile the 30.06 cartridge can be. How 30.06 can be configured to take rabbits if necessary. :D Extreme, yes? He also taught me to shoot at six-years-old by way of the family Ruger 10-22. I've always wanted one of my own, but not right now.

QUESTION
    Is it possible to load 55gr 5.56x45 (or 223) cartridges for use in an AR rifle suitable for taking rabbits, squirrels and other small game?

It would be a lot more expensive than shooting 22LR, but it would save me investing in a 10-22 (for now) and I wouldn't expect to shoot it a lot. Just for those occassions when I might have to hunt to eat...LET'S GO, BRANDON! :wallbash:.
    Buy some cast lead bullets.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    CONTEXT: My father explained to me long ago how versatile the 30.06 cartridge can be. How 30.06 can be configured to take rabbits if necessary. :D Extreme, yes? He also taught me to shoot at six-years-old by way of the family Ruger 10-22. I've always wanted one of my own, but not right now.

QUESTION
    Is it possible to load 55gr 5.56x45 (or 223) cartridges for use in an AR rifle suitable for taking rabbits, squirrels and other small game?

It would be a lot more expensive than shooting 22LR, but it would save me investing in a 10-22 (for now) and I wouldn't expect to shoot it a lot. Just for those occassions when I might have to hunt to eat...LET'S GO, BRANDON! :wallbash:.

Purchasing a 22 makes more sense.

Figure it out.... it's not like it requires a genius.

Is this really the kind of **** we're supposed to care about these days?

****** atf ***holes.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Anytime I hear the words "reduced load", my thoughts go straight to Trailboss.
    Have you looked into load data for .223/5.56 using Trailboss?
    Trailboss is great for reduced loads, but i doubt you can get it to cycle the action.

Also, with regard to reduced rifle reloads, please be aware of Secondary Explosion Effect. This a seperate dangerous possibility beyond stacking bullets in the barrel.

Edited to add: using Trailboss would likely greatly reduce the chances of S.E.E. happening.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Trailboss is great for reduced loads, but i doubt you can get it to cycle the action.

Also, with regard to reduced rifle reloads, please be aware of Secondary Explosion Effect. This a seperate dangerous possibility beyond stacking bullets in the barrel.
    He didn't ask about it cycling.
    He just asked for suitable powder/load

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Ok, I'm just adding relevant details, in case they help someone else.
    I can appreciate that.
    I had not heard of secondary explosion effect so I googled it.
    I would hope using Trailboss would mitigate the chance of S.E.E. because of the nature of the powder.
    It was designed with reduced loads in mind.
    It is very fluffy and fills a case nicely, even under most reduced load situations.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point

From what I've read, using fast burning pistol powders helps eliminate this. If you must use "slow" powders, use over-powder wads or some equivalent filler so the powder gets ignited more progressively.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I can appreciate that.
    I had not heard of secondary explosion effect so I googled it.
    I would hope using Trailboss would mitigate the chance of S.E.E. because of the nature of the powder.
    It was designed with reduced loads in mind.
    It is very fluffy and fills a case nicely, even under most reduced load situations.
    I didn't mean to imply S.E.E. was a concern with Trailboss, I agree with you that Trailboss should all but eliminate that possibility.

But it could be a problem with other powders with lots of excess case volume.

I edited my 1st post to clarify that.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    From what I've read, using fast burning pistol powders helps eliminate this. If you must use "slow" powders, use over-powder wads or some equivalent filler so the powder gets ignited more progressively.
    That will help a lot with consistency too. Powder moving around a bunch inside the case can cause inconsistent burns from shot to shot, resulting in lousy accuracy.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Happy to help anyway I know how, but I'm not a AR 22 conversion kit user, unfortunately.

All that said, the cheap Rossi are available for approximately the same price as the conversion kit. I'm not a user of those, either, but at least one person has ran it to acceptable accuracy at 25yd.
    Agreed. Henry is a great choice, but Budget is king these days.
    I like SOOTCH00 reviews. In response to your comments, I found this review of the Rossi RS22 from several years ago. All good, and I see them available now for $99 after rebate. Wish I could find them locally for that (transfer fee + delivery adds up). And I wish I could find one in OD like in the review.

I have four unused clear rotary magazines (10rnd) for the Ruger 10-22. I like the flush fitment, but if I could get $18 a piece for them I might switch to a Rossi rifle...

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Buy an old single shot .22 if you can't afford better. It will almost always be more accurate at greater distance than an AR converted to rimfire. And it won't make your AR filthy or cause it to have lead build-up issues in the bbl. Cheap, fast, good. You can have 2 out of 3.
    Thank you, patience0830. Your advice and similar advice from other contributors here, in combination with the ongoing conversation regarding the inadviseability of converting 5.56x45 (via AR15) has refocused the issue, for me anyway. A dedicated, inexpensive 22LR—semi-auto or bolt action—is the better choice.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Agreed. Henry is a great choice, but Budget is king these days.
    I like SOOTCH00 reviews. In response to your comments, I found this review of the Rossi RS22 from several years ago. All good, and I see them available now for $99 after rebate. Wish I could find them locally for that (transfer fee + delivery adds up). And I wish I could find one in OD like in the review.

I have four unused clear rotary magazines (10rnd) for the Ruger 10-22. I like the flush fitment, but if I could get $18 a piece for them I might switch to a Rossi rifle...
    thats almost full retail ($19) for a new mag. Good luck with that.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    thats almost full retail for a new mag. Good luck with that.
    Best price I see for CLEAR rotary mags is $23ish on Ebay.

$26-$28 and up at regular chain retailers, and those are out of stock.

$18 is a 22% discount off the low Ebay price, and a 30%+ discount off those higher prices.

No worries. Not hot to sell while I weigh Rossi, Savage, Mossberg vs. Ruger.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom