• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    CONTEXT: My father explained to me long ago how versatile the 30.06 cartridge can be. How 30.06 can be configured to take rabbits if necessary. :D Extreme, yes? He also taught me to shoot at six-years-old by way of the family Ruger 10-22. I've always wanted one of my own, but not right now.

QUESTION
    Is it possible to load 55gr 5.56x45 (or 223) cartridges for use in an AR rifle suitable for taking rabbits, squirrels and other small game?

It would be a lot more expensive than shooting 22LR, but it would save me investing in a 10-22 (for now) and I wouldn't expect to shoot it a lot. Just for those occassions when I might have to hunt to eat...LET'S GO, BRANDON! :wallbash:.

Last edited:

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I have load data that shows Accurate 5744 for a reduced load. 45 grain bullet at 1958 fps isn't far from some 22 lr loads. 55 grain bullets at 1892 fps also is comparable. 11 grains of 5744 is what my manual says for the 55 grain bullet. 1680 or 4198 may also work. Be careful, those low charges can dangerous. Also be aware that your rifle may not cycle properly.

Last edited:

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    I have load data that shows Accurate 5744 for a reduced load. 45 grain bullet at 1958 fps isn't far from some 22 lr loads. 55 grain bullets at 1892 fps also is comparable. 11 grains of 5744 is what my manual says for the 55 grain bullet. 1680 or 4198 may also work. Be careful, those low charges can dangerous. Also be aware that your rifle may not cycle properly.
    Thank you for the warning. I did a quick search online and it appears the primer ignition can expel the bullet from the casing, lodging it in the barrel. And an instant later the powder ignites behind the blockage.

Is that the basis of your warning?

Can I assume that same warning applies to all calibers, including 30.06? The book my Dad referenced is buried in a box somewhere (after a recent move) so I'll have to dig it out and see if it makes the same warning. I'll bet we overlooked it.

In light of this, I think finding a Ruger 10-22 on sale might be the wiser approach.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    In light of this, I think finding a Ruger 10-22 on sale might be the wiser approach.
    Probably true.
    I got a Ruger American Rimfire in the classified here. Nice and light. Stock rear sight is as wide as a barn, though. I imagine the semi-auto cousin handles nicely.

For the CMMG kit, there are plenty of shops with them on sale at the moment. 55Fairlaine posted one, Battlehawk Armory has a kit for their Black Friday sales, too:
    (Note, 10 rd vs. 25, number of magazines, etc, when comparing prices)

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    You may want to look at something like what Palmetto has on their website

I haven't used one myself.
    Thank you, Scoutmom.

I appreciate the link, and the IDEA.

The two kits for sale at $150 get 5-star reviews, and $150 is half the average current price for a basic 10-22. So the math makes sense, and for basic defensive AR shooting drills it'd be a lot less expensive to shoot 22LR.

In combination with the reloading warning provided by edwea above, I think your idea is worth researching. Thanks again.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Probably true.
    I got a Ruger American Rimfire in the classified here. Nice and light. Stock rear sight is as wide as a barn, though. I imagine the semi-auto cousin handles nicely.

For the CMMG kit, there are plenty of shops with them on sale at the moment. 55Fairlaine posted one, Battlehawk Armory has a kit for their Black Friday sales, too:
    (Note, 10 rd vs. 25, number of magazines, etc, when comparing prices)
    Thanks, JEBland.
    A Ruger 10-22 is always worth having, but is not a top priority (just yet). Now that Scoutmom raised the idea of a 22LR boltcarrier kit, that would kill two birds with one stone IF I can find one suitable for small game.

I'll take your advice and research for the best combination of quality, features , price and accuracy. Do YOU know of a 22LR kit for AR that provides accuracy beyond 25 yards?

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Thanks, JEBland.
    A Ruger 10-22 is always worth having, but is not a top priority (just yet). Now that Scoutmom raised the idea of a 22LR boltcarrier kit, that would kill two birds with one stone IF I can find one suitable for small game.

I'll take your advice and research for the best combination of quality, features , price and accuracy. Do YOU know of a 22LR kit for AR that provides accuracy beyond 25 yards?
    Happy to help anyway I know how, but I'm not a AR 22 conversion kit user, unfortunately.

All that said, the cheap Rossi are available for approximately the same price as the conversion kit. I'm not a user of those, either, but at least one person has ran it to acceptable accuracy at 25yd.
    For example, $112 + shipping & transfer (can see if your local shop has it for $150ish):
    https://battlehawkarmory.com/produc...e-carlo-stock-blued-right-hand#product_detail
    And there's even a $25 rebate on them:

Again, no first hand experience, but if I were extremely budget-minded, I'd consider it. If I had time, patience, and a slightly larger budget... I'd get a Henry - my Henry 22 is as accurate as I can point it freehand at 20-25 yd even with cheap green Remington Thunderbolt. Needed a drop of oil around the lever when I first got it, and has been smooth like butter ever since.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Thanks, 55fairlane. Every dime helps. :D
    Can you recommend a 22LR kit that would be accurate beyond 25 yards? Or is that just a pipe dream?
    No kit using the stock 223/5.56 barrel is accurate (with a 22lr) past 25 yards, you can buy or assemble a dedicated AR22 upper, the dedicated uppers are running about the same as a 10-22. I love my AR22, and I hate my 10-22

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    No kit using the stock 223/5.56 barrel is accurate (with a 22lr) past 25 yards, you can buy or assemble a dedicated AR22 upper, the dedicated uppers are running about the same as a 10-22. I love my AR22, and I hate my 10-22

What if he stuck an 80 SMK in the casing backwards, to take up a lot of the space he doesn't need, and use a suitable powder to get it to about 1,000 fps?

Speed is the problem with "overkill" on small game, not bullet weight. I bet a subsonic 80 SMK would do less damage to a squirrel than a .22 WMR.

What say you, @55fairlane ?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Make OP a deal. Two birds with one stone. You get rid of a rifle you hate, OP gets a 10-22. LOL

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    What if he stuck an 80 SMK in the casing backwards, to take up a lot of the space he doesn't need, and use a suitable powder to get it to about 1,000 fps?

Speed is the problem with "overkill" on small game, not bullet weight. I bet a subsonic 80 SMK would do less damage to a squirrel than a .22 WMR.

What say you, @55fairlane ?
    While I'm not 100% certain, I do know a big heavy projectile (like an 80SMK) moving slow (like 1000 FPS) will pack some serious stopping power (on small game) anyway.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    my understanding on the accuracy issue is that 22lr is slightly smaller diameter and doesnt fully engage the rifling. Not to mention the twist rate isnt compatible with such a light projectile.

The conversion kits are nothing more than range toys.
    Correct, either build a dedicated upper, or buy a good bolt gun from the beginning.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Can't..... A) my kids bought it for me B) I have way to much in it , to make it shoot worth a hoot, aftermarket barrel, trigger, stock, .....buy a savage .....rugers are junk
    thems-fightin-words-3xqu7v.jpg

Both of my kids' stock 10/22s shoot well. I can ring 10" steel at 150 yards consistently.

My tricked out heavy barrel 10/22 is a tack driver.

Savages are good as well. Just not as customizable.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    While I'm not 100% certain, I do know a big heavy projectile (like an 80SMK) moving slow (like 1000 FPS) will pack some serious stopping power (on small game) anyway.
    Foot pounds would be roughly double that of a CCI 0035, but it wouldn't frag at all. NO expansion.

Not even .22 round nose can claim that.

But I can't think of a lot better way to try to get an AR to do what he's asking.

Caveat: it probably wouldn't cycle.

Caveat 2: I have no idea what powder, or in what amount. There is one, I am sure, whose bulk ratio is correct to avoid detonation concerns, and will not give pressure issues with that long an ogive sticking down into the case.

Could be neato.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Buy an old single shot .22 if you can't afford better. It will almost always be more accurate at greater distance than an AR converted to rimfire. And it won't make your AR filthy or cause it to have lead build-up issues in the bbl. Cheap, fast, good. You can have 2 out of 3.

Top Bottom