• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    39 to 43 percent? Geez! I know when you look at it, it seems like only the wealthy will have to pay, but not necessarily. For instance, we (my mother) own property in Texas worth in excess of $1.5 million. If I inherit, do I have to give 40% of that away? Because I can't pay $400K in taxes, nor can my siblings.

Stock market will probably continue to decline as those million dollar earners will want to get out at 20% as it is now, and not have to pay 40% later. I think this is where the meltdown begins.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/stocks-tumble-biden-capital-gains-tax-plan

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Lets take for instance, I'm a millionaire (which I'm not) but I hold stock in several companies that I got on the cheap many years ago. Am I going to keep that stock until later, and sell and have to pay 40+ percent capital gains? Or am I going to dump it now to only have to pay 20%? Once the dump begins, market will drop hugely.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    39 to 43 percent? Geez! I know when you look at it, it seems like only the wealthy will have to pay, but not necessarily. For instance, we (my mother) own property in Texas worth in excess of $1.5 million. If I inherit, do I have to give 40% of that away? Because I can't pay $400K in taxes, nor can my siblings.

Stock market will probably continue to decline as those million dollar earners will want to get out at 20% as it is now, and not have to pay 40% later. I think this is where the meltdown begins.

We are parting with 140 acres for just this same reason.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central

If you voted for even just ONE demon-crat, you`re a traitor to the United States, AND a blithering idiot.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Lets take for instance, I'm a millionaire (which I'm not) but I hold stock in several companies that I got on the cheap many years ago. Am I going to keep that stock until later, and sell and have to pay 40+ percent capital gains? Or am I going to dump it now to only have to pay 20%? Once the dump begins, market will drop hugely.
    Democrats: "Maths are hard!"

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Today was thinking about the 1976 thread.
    That's the year I started paper patching for a 8x57 so it wasn't all bad. :)

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

We're still building back from covid and they want to announce this now, are they purposely trying to damage the economy even more?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would imagine middle class retired people who say bought a home in the 60s for 20K that's now worth 300K aren't going to be happy about this. I'm not surprised these days when politicians say they are only going to tax the rich and so many middle class folks find out they meet the definition used to calculate the tax.

I'm not a tax lawyer so maybe there are ways around this.

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    I would imagine middle class retired people who say bought a home in the 60s for 20K that's now worth 300K aren't going to be happy about this. I'm not surprised these days when politicians say they are only going to tax the rich and so many middle class folks find out they meet the definition used to calculate the tax.

I bought a house for $90K back in '03 and now is worth $180K, so I'm worried.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Pass a law that applies the changes only to people that voted for Biden?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I rememeber "bracket creep" from the 70s, another thing that's coming assuming wages keep up with prices in this economic cycle. A lot of things are in place that weren't there in the 70s that will supress wages and just let people get pounded by inflationary price increases.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Well, if the market takes a hit, anyone with a retirement plan is probably going to take a hit.
    I think what Yellen has proposed would work just the opposite. Her proposal is you would be taxed upon the difference between say the paper value of your account on December 31, [some year] and December 31, [some year - 1]

If the market tanked 35% just before it was implemented, and the tax applied to the steeper valuation increases of a recovery, it is a bonus situation for tax and spend

Top Bottom