• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    I have a spanish made double 20 ga imported and re-branded as Richland arms. It has a monte carlo stock w/cheek piece and beaver tail for arm plus quite a bit of ingraving. It was sold by Central Hardware in Indy in the late 60's for $69. I had a friend who worked there part time and got 10% discount so I bought it for $63 +/-. I still have it and do shoot on occasion. Lots of great memories of hunts and friends.
    Pics when you get a chance! Sounds cool.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Have a lot of fun stories like that. I spent 20+yrs flying freight around the US so I did a lot of gun related travelling. In this case I just finished up my week of flying and hopped on the Newark bound flight, rented a car and spent the day at Navy Arms. Dropped the car off later that day and jumpseated my way back home. Also did a lot of that running back and forth to some stock wood suppliers out on the west coast. I had three different guys I did a lot of business with and I was constantly flying back home with a belly full of stock blanks. At that time things were loose enough security-wise that I'd bid my schedule to coincide with the better collector shows across the US and often bring half a dozen guns home in the belly. Different world back before 9/11. It scares me to think of the crazy stuff I got away with back then.
    Amazing pics man, thanks for posting.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Have a lot of fun stories like that. I spent 20+yrs flying freight around the US so I did a lot of gun related travelling. In this case I just finished up my week of flying and hopped on the Newark bound flight, rented a car and spent the day at Navy Arms. Dropped the car off later that day and jumpseated my way back home. Also did a lot of that running back and forth to some stock wood suppliers out on the west coast. I had three different guys I did a lot of business with and I was constantly flying back home with a belly full of stock blanks. At that time things were loose enough security-wise that I'd bid my schedule to coincide with the better collector shows across the US and often bring half a dozen guns home in the belly. Different world back before 9/11. It scares me to think of the crazy stuff I got away with back then.
    Fantastic pics of beautiful firearms. Enjoy!!!

Hulberr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Angola
    I only have one double, its a Fox Model B that my wife got me for Christmas a few years ago. I've never been a super fan of double barrels, but I like shooting it a lot more than I thought I would.
    Fox Model B.JPG

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Only a couple double guns - Savage model 24, 222 Remington over 20 gauge. Never shot it much. And a Browning Citori 20 gauge O/U that I found at Cabela's, of all places. I believe it's a youth model, and only has a 24" barrel, but it was just too pretty to pass up for the price Cabela's had on it. Will post pics when time permits.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Wellll,.....I'd like to say I do but I haven't finished one yet. It's been back-burnered since the 90's along with a few others that are more simply converted with pistol caliber sleeves in the original shot barrels. I can take some pics of those if anyone's interested. They got pulled out of storage couple of yrs back and I've been tripping over them lately.

I got interested in the DB PCC thing after attending an NRA Gunsmithing course back around '95. The basic course dealt with converting DB shotguns to rifle calibers but the action strength requirements for most rifle calibers are pretty stringent and you generally need to start off with pretty nice quality shotguns in good condition and usually in the smaller bores, which means expensive. Cutting up guns worth a few thousand dollars isn't something I wanted to get into and aside from enjoying firing some of the instructors DB rifles(7x57R, .470NE), the one I really had the most fun with was a tiny .410 double converted to .22LR. Man was that thing sweet. The best thing about it was that you could stand and fire a hundred rds and not even think about it. Firing more than a couple of 7x57R or .470NE starts to hurt,....at least in the wallet. Figured that common pistol calibers would be even more fun than the .22 so I started this .38 and sleeved up a couple of .45LC and .44Special doubles. Test fired them but haven't continued past that. Sight regulation is a problem I'm still working out.

Ellis Brown was the gunsmith/instructor and the class was based on the book he was about to publish at the time. Hard to find, EXPENSIVE on Amazon, I guess it's been through a couple of revisions and he's working on a third. Good description of the book/course at the website,....

Looks like there's a DVD set as well but out of stock.

Oh, he's got a website and still does conversions. Probably talking a bunch of thousands of dollars on your gun though. I'm sure this type of work isn't cheap.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    So what's the consensus on old 12ga with Damascus barrels and modern trap loads?

I've heard many say that it's not safe to shoot modern ammo in them.

My dad has an old external SxS that he bought at a gun show in about 1990 for $50 that we shot trap with for several years. But this was before we had heard it wasn't safe, supposedly.

Is it safe?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    So what's the consensus on old 12ga with Damascus barrels and modern trap loads?

I've heard many say that it's not safe to shoot modern ammo in them.

My dad has an old external SxS that he bought at a gun show in about 1990 for $50 that we shot trap with for several years. But this was before we had heard it wasn't safe, supposedly.

Is it safe?

Beautiful guns....no go with modern loads.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Damascus, twist or laminated barrels will mostly say what they are somewhere on the barrel. They will never say anything like 'high pressure' or 'forged'. The high end Damascus barrel manufacturers will exaggerate the lamination lines for a visual effect. In the end I would tell you 'if in doubt, don't...'

Top Bottom