• ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I'll update the subject to a more realistic title: "Dont carry a trauma kit if you are health care professional because you could be sued for malpractice."

At least here, you are protected by the good Samaritan law. But that doesnt apply if you are health care pro. If you screw up as a pro, you can be on the hook. At least as I understand it.
    My guess is that you don't understand something. It seems like you are suggesting that healthcare professionals should just keep on driving if they come upon YOU, YOUR WIFE, YOUR CHILDREN lying on the side of the road bleeding or gasping for air. Indiana most certainly has 'Good Samritan' laws in place to protect someone/anyone who is making a good-faith effort to help. That is as it should be. We train school teachers, fire(wo)men, EMTs, police(wo)men, doctors, nurses, therapists, nurse's aides, cooks, restaurant workers, and countless others HOW TO SAVE A LIFE IN AN EMERGENCY. Are you somehow suggesting all these trained professionals just leave folks to die in the street? I am struggling to comprehend that. Why train them, and tell them to go lights and siren to the scene just to watch people die? Their entire purpose is to do SOMETHING.

How those laws apply to healthcare professionals is of absolutely no interest to me, nor should it be. I carry a gun, and a 'Stop-the-Bleed' kit. Always. If you, or anyone else is in need of emergency medical treatment, I will make every effort to provide said treatment within the limitations of my knowledge, skills, and abilities. Each and every other healthcare worker I know would do the same. I am a registered nurse working peri-operative care in the Cardiovascular center at Elkhart General Hospital, most likely the best unit of its kind in the state. I am here to do this job, in no small degree, because I had a heart attack 12/31/2018, and others were willing and able to help me. God help us all if people stop helping other people.

PS: Red Cross Basic Life Support should be required every year, in every high school in Indiana.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My guess is that you don't understand something.

PS: Red Cross Basic Life Support should be required every year, in every high school in Indiana.
    No. You read way too much into it.
    The law is simple, at least in IN:

As a "civilian" (non-healthcare pro) you can make a good faith effort to help. If you screw up you will not be sued for wrongdoing because you were trying to be a good Samaritan.

A healthcare pro like you however is expected to know your stuff and if you do the same stupid thing I might do in error, you are not shielded from lawsuits as your training should have taught you not to make the mistake.

As an example. There is a bad auto accident. The driver is in bad shape and unresponsive. The car is not on fire and there is no urgent need to move the driver. He's actually perfectly safe where he is at. If its me and I think the driver should be out of the car on the ground in the rescue position, and In doing so I sever his spinal cord where his spine is already damaged, I am covered by the law. If you did the same thing, you should have known better because you were trained not to move the victim in that circumstance, and if you did the same bonehead move, you could be sued.

I never said you should keep driving and let them bleed out. Stop being melodramatic.

Welcome to INGO, BTW.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    popcorn-interested.gif

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561

As a "civilian" (non-healthcare pro) you can make a good faith effort to help. If you screw up you will not be sued for wrongdoing because you were trying to be a good Samaritan.

A healthcare pro like you however is expected to know your stuff and if you do the same stupid thing I might do in error, you are not shielded from lawsuits as your training should have taught you not to make the mistake.

As an example. There is a bad auto accident. The driver is in bad shape and unresponsive. The car is not on fire and there is no urgent need to move the driver. He's actually perfectly safe where he is at. If its me and I think the driver should be out of the car on the ground in the rescue position, and In doing so I sever his spinal cord where his spine is already damaged, I am covered by the law. If you did the same thing, you should have known better because you were trained not to move the victim in that circumstance, and if you did the same bonehead move, you could be sued.

I never said you should keep driving and let them bleed out. Stop being melodramatic.

Welcome to INGO, BTW.
    Indiana's good samaritan laws are essentially: If ANYONE stops to offer needed aid, they are held not liable for any injuries caused in the rendering of reasonable aid. Period. Applies to EVERYONE. And anyone can be sued for grossly, negligently causing harm by doing something stupid. Period. Applies to EVERYONE, medical professional or otherwise. Of course malpractice suits can't be filed against non-medical persons: they are not practicing.

Good samaritan laws apply to everyone. Being stupid, no matter your vocation, can get you sued.

I am not sure what would happen in this situation. I have an RN license plate on my car. I see an accident where someone is ejected from a vehicle. I drive past without slowing down. I do not stop. I do not render aid. The person dies. If someone can verify that I was there, and did not render aid, I believe the State Nursing board can suspend/pull my license to practice. That too, is as it should be.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Healthcare pro or not doesn't matter in Indiana, as long as the aid is being rendered gratis.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I'll update the subject to a more realistic title: "Dont carry a trauma kit if you are health care professional because you could be sued for malpractice."

At least here, you are protected by the good Samaritan law. But that doesnt apply if you are health care pro. If you screw up as a pro, you can be on the hook. At least as I understand it.
    And if you do nothing and they find out you were a pro, you may be liable also.

Tbell7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Aug 21, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I remember when Mr. Correia was so adamant about being right for choosing NOT to carry a backup magazine for his pistol. He suggested carrying a TQ instead of the backup mag. :)

A back up mag would make me feel a little better I think...hopefully at that point the treat is neutralized as he says...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ****ing lawyers... :n00b:

These lawyers are generally reasonable, but this strikes me as clickbait. Made up problems.

Hypothetical nonsense.

I would have absolutely no issue with anyone carrying a trauma kit with the caveat that a person should know how to do any treatment they offer.

Combat Engineer

One of the three percent.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2022
    Mauckport In.
    The kit I carry is for me or a civilian that got shot...the theoretical guy I just shot if I left him alive..thats a big if ...can roll around and bleed out till the cops and EMS show up.Render aid...lmao yea I'll be all over that.

Top Bottom