• ...and so much more!
  • recentlyadded

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2017
    Osgood
    Maybe I'm being unreasonable but this incident just torqued me off too much to continue to use their products. I have a 605 Poly Protector chambered in .357 magnum that I used as my EDC. I routinely put around 300 rounds a month through for close to three years. Except for about 200 of those rounds they have all be my own reloads loaded for .38 SPL +P pressures. This is with the intent to save money as well as save wear and tear on the pistol AND my wrists. About three weeks ago I noticed I was getting some lead blow back on my cheeks while shooting it. Upon closer inspection it appeared as if there were some lead chunks around the forcing cone. I also checked the tightness of the cylinder lock up and sure enough it appeared as if the cylinder mechanism was getting out of time. I opened up a service request with Taurus USA and sent the pistol in for repair/service under their limited lifetime warranty. Just this morning I was informed that because I had shot reloads/hand loads out of the pistol there would be a $50 "bench fee" to address the issue. I chatted with one of their reps and no dice. That charge was non-negotiable! Well, I told to just ship it back. That if I decided to continue to use the pistol I would have it repaired by my local gunsmith. I'd prefer to give them business. They said "fine" and they would contact me in a couple of days to arrange the return.
    How'd they know I used reloads/hand loads out of pistol? I told them in the service request form. In order to give them as much information as possible so they could diagnose and address the issue I put the following in my service request:
    I was shooting my reloads. They are 38 SPL +P loads. The recipe is 5.0gr of Unique behind a 158 grain lead semi-wadcutter. I cast the bullets myself and they have a BHL of 12 - 13.
    This pistol is my everyday carry and I routinely shoot about 100 rounds a week at a local range. Hence the reloads and home casted bullets. I am approaching about 10K rounds through this pistol.
    I hope that this repair falls under your lifetime product warranty.
    Anyway, a long post I know.
    But TL;DR - I'm done with Taurus!

recentlyadded

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2017
    Osgood
    Oh, no. I'd seen that! I had sent the pistol in once before back when I first got it. The point of aim vs. the point of impact were off and I spoke with them before sending it in. They wanted a run down on the types of ammo I was shooting through it in order to determine if the issue was with the pistol or the shooter. Just like this time I was completely forthcoming with my use of the pistol. They didn't have a problem and adjusted the sights on it for me under their warranty. That's why I included the recipe I used so that their smiths knew what they were dealing with.

recentlyadded

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2017
    Osgood
    To be honest you're probably right but it just surprised and ticked me off. So, no dice. Anyway, I AM a little impressed that I got almost 10K through it before experiencing any serious issues.

recentlyadded

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2017
    Osgood
    Over 10,000 rounds and you want a wear item repaired under a limited warranty?

C'mon Man!
    Their warranty DOES cover wear items like this so yes I do expect them to address it. Especially since the type of ammo I was using had nothing to do with the issue. The loads are intentionally softer than factory 357 magnum. I'd be less aggravated with them if I was pushing hot overpressure loads but I am most definitely not doing that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Over 10,000 rounds and you want a wear item repaired under a limited warranty?

C'mon Man!
    That’s my take on this. Guns cars and people. We wear out with use. It is inevitable. Your expected life span is a bit optimistic especially on a Taurus and if you had paid the $50 they most likely would have fixed it.
    Just replace it. Just know any new Taurus offerings will most likely not give you 10K worth of use.
    Limited Warr. Not lifetime unlimited.
    JMHO and not worth what you paid for it.

recentlyadded

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2017
    Osgood
    That’s my take on this. Guns cars and people. We wear out with use. It is inevitable. Your expected life span is a bit optimistic especially on a Taurus and if you had paid the $50 they most likely would have fixed it.
    Just replace it. Just know any new Taurus offerings will most likely not give you 10K worth of use.
    Limited Warr. Not lifetime unlimited.
    JMHO and not worth what you paid for it.
    The "replace it" course of action is the exact right thing! Any suggestions? I intend to stick with the double action snubbie as my EDC.

recentlyadded

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2017
    Osgood
    If you EDC it, they might have done you a favor.
    I was hoping the same thing. The dollar amount wasn't even the real issue. If they had come back and said "hey, that's a lot of use and not all of that is covered under the warranty. $50 and we'll square it away and get it back to you" I would have been fine. It was the hooey about the ammo being used absolving them from having to stand by their product. I take great pains in my casting/reloading efforts to ensure what goes into my guns isn't crap. They essentially told me my ammo was crap.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I was hoping the same thing. The dollar amount wasn't even the real issue. If they had come back and said "hey, that's a lot of use and not all of that is covered under the warranty. $50 and we'll square it away and get it back to you" I would have been fine. It was the hooey about the ammo being used absolving them from having to stand by their product. I take great pains in my casting/reloading efforts to ensure what goes into my guns isn't crap. They essentially told me my ammo was crap.
    I agree, I don't think your ammo was the problem., especially 38+ ammo in a magnum rated revolver. If it makes you feel better, when a $10,000 Kreighoff shotgun splits the barrels, they will not warranty it with reloads, and if you are using new factory ammo, they claim it is the ammo companies fault. When Model 66 Smith & Wesson were issued duty revolvers, constant heavy use with heavy magnums loosened them up a little, and that was just accepted as normal.

10,000 rounds in a lower cost handgun is excellent service. I think I would mount it to a Plaque and hang it on the wall for having survived so much use. Smile at it every time you walk by. Start a new savings account with the $50 for a new handgun. I hope the next one gives you that kind of service.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I was done with Taurus a few years back.

I purchased (against better judgement) a 709 Slim. It was cheap gun to shoot/keep in the vehicle/boat etc. Anyways, first time it went to the range, the extractor BROKE. IN HALF. First time shooting it, within a few rounds. I contacted Taurus and asked for the new part. They declined, stating they didn't have any extractors. I asked for a new gun, they declined, stating this one could be repaired. After 18 months of back and forth, I advised the nice lady at Taurus that I would be cutting said pistol in half the end of the week and live streaming it on YouTube, and my business page. I further explained how any opportunity I got, I would tell anyone I came in contact with, to NOT purchase from Taurus.

I got an extractor from FedEx the next day, much to my surprise.

I put the extractor in, and promptly sold the weapon.

Since then, I am pretty sure I have told this story to anyone who ever brings up Taurus firearms.

Top Bottom