• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    20210227_003838.jpg At 5 hours it's starting to dim quite a bit. So I think the useful life for these inexpensive glow sticks is 4 hours maybe 4.5 hours maximum. It's still glowing but not as bright. A good night vision scope could probably still use it to pick up targets I would think in total darkness.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I don't know about that brand, but i used to get those for scouts and about half of them broke. They leaked all the liquid all over the place.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I'm testing out glow sticks I seen at Dollar tree. So far it's lasted 4 hours and you can still read a map in total darkness if needed.
    View attachment 127905
    View attachment 127908
    My camera on my cellphone is horrible in the dark. But you can read with this 33 cent glow stick for 4 hours so far. Will let you know how long it last total.
    Gonna get some....do they come with the scope? :laugh:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Picked up 4 packs of each color. I will exhaust several packs for some tests. Great find/post OP.

I intend on leaving the remainder in the 4-pack sealed in the event of long-term storage leaking. The med kits, shooting/hunting packs, vehicles, etc. will all get one. For $1 a pop you can't come up with a reason not to.
    0f8234ef96e9c9c84d799982ac91fcd8.jpg

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I'm testing out glow sticks I seen at Dollar tree. So far it's lasted 4 hours and you can still read a map in total darkness if needed.
    View attachment 127905
    View attachment 127908
    My camera on my cellphone is horrible in the dark. But you can read with this 33 cent glow stick for 4 hours so far. Will let you know how long it last total.

Picked some up the day after you posted this. Yellow and green thinking they would be the brightest but think I'll stock up on all flavors now that your review is out and there's prolly gonna be a rush on them.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Picked up 4 packs of each color. I will exhaust several packs for some tests. Great find/post OP.

I intend on leaving the remainder in the 4-pack sealed in the event of long-term storage leaking. The med kits, shooting/hunting packs, vehicles, etc. will all get one. For $1 a pop you can't come up with a reason not to.
    0f8234ef96e9c9c84d799982ac91fcd8.jpg
    Give us a report would like to know of they are consistent from pack to pack, store to store.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    when i was a kid id stick them in the freezer to make them last longer. I dont know the science behind it but it seemed to work.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Give us a report would like to know of they are consistent from pack to pack, store to store.
    This was at the new store in Columbus.

+1 for durability. I gave 1 of each color to the kids and all survived their torture overnight.

The green is definitely the brightest. 3x more then the orange, which is only slightly better than red. Honestly the red was very dim. Not that the chem was dull, but it's natural luminescence comparably. They were stone dead after 8 hrs.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    This was at the new store in Columbus.

+1 for durability. I gave 1 of each color to the kids and all survived their torture overnight.

The green is definitely the brightest. 3x more then the orange, which is only slightly better than red. Honestly the red was very dim. Not that the chem was dull, but it's natural luminescence comparably. They were stone dead after 8 hrs.
    Yep green was what I got the best light from also. So I think green is the one to get since two of us have tested them and both have same results. I tested Yellow and Green both lasted about the same time but green was definitely brighter.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Yep green was what I got the best light from also. So I think green is the one to get since two of us have tested them and both have same results. I tested Yellow and Green both lasted about the same time but green was definitely brighter.
    Green if I need to see without reserve. I could see orange being useful for lower light map reading or location mark. Red is useless to me.

MattCook

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2021
    Fishers
    I attach these to my dogs collars during camping. Orange, blue, green all have worked well. They light up inside of tent pretty well too. I've gotten a couple duds tho at dollar tree

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I get these for my kids to play with. 1 in 10 maybe 1 in 15 won't glow when cracked. Have spares if you're using them in your prep

Top Bottom