• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Taking a break from changing out my water heater. Was thinking how doing my own repairs is both a blessing and a curse. Yes, I save money and know the job is done right. However, the time it takes in doing the work sometimes gets old.

BTW - Anyone want a 13 year old Richmond 50 gallon electric water heater? Nothing was wrong with it other than age. Was flushed every year. Just decided to put in a new one. It sits in our laundry closet next to the dining room of our single story house. It was not sitting in a drain pan. Did not want to wake up to a possible leak in the middle of winter.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If I can do it, and have the time, I do it myself. Been burnt too many times by hiring it out, and then spending additional $$$ and time re-doing it.

Bought a new washer/dryer several years ago. Went ahead and paid for the install, as I really didn't have time to mess with it, and how hard can it be? During the install they broke the hot water valve CLEAN OFF the supply pipe - in the wall. GALLONS of hot water pouring into the laundry room until I could run to the garage shut the supply off at the water heater. Got to clean up the mess myself (no help from them), braze on a new valve (no help from them), and then install my new washer/drier myself (no help from them) - all starting at 6PM on a weekday. Sure, they refunded the install. Yippee.

I really do wish I could pay someone for quality work. It is just SO HARD to get reasonable quality.

Some things I simply can't do, so I pay and pray. Still get burnt too often.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I grew up on a farm watching dad or grandpa fix anything and everything. It rubbed off. I can't stand to think about paying someone to fix something I know I can do myself. Especially when nowadays there is guaranteed to be a YouTube video floating around of somebody showing you exactly how to do it.

Lawnmower ate an oil pump gear? No big deal...

APekkq3l.jpg

Wife's minivan's intake gasket goes bad and destroys the motor? Get a new motor...

a82qHD6l.jpg

Your Audi eats a water pump and shreds the timing belt? We can fix that...

URPTBGnl.jpg

Your Audi's clutch explodes? No problem...

WECDMGfl.jpg

Your new Audi needs a wheel bearing? BTW, don't buy an Audi unless you like working on them...;)

6ECef87l.jpg

I wish I could tell you I had all the $$$ I've saved by DIYing all this over the years, but I can't. IDK where it went. Wife prolly just spent it on shoes.:rolleyes:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I grew up on a farm watching dad or grandpa fix anything and everything. It rubbed off. I can't stand to think about paying someone to fix something I know I can do myself. Especially when nowadays there is guaranteed to be a YouTube video floating around of somebody showing you exactly how to do it.

APekkq3l.jpg

Wife's minivan's intake gasket goes bad and destroys the motor? Get a new motor...

a82qHD6l.jpg

URPTBGnl.jpg

WECDMGfl.jpg

Your new Audi needs a wheel bearing? BTW, don't buy an Audi unless you like working on them...;)

6ECef87l.jpg

I wish I could tell you I had all the $$$ I've saved by DIYing all this over the years, but I can't. IDK where it went. Wife prolly just spent it on shoes.:rolleyes:
    At least she bought something you don't have to fix!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Brother I think your problem is spelled A-U-D-I. :scratch:
    I know. But I still love 'em.

I did get smart several years ago and started buying the wife Lexus' to drive. That way I only have one car that ever needs worked on.

In the last 10+ years and around 400K miles on her two Lexus RX350s, a '07 and a '15, I have done exactly 2 repairs beyond regular maintenance. They were both on the '07 and both happened around 200K; replaced both rear wheel bearings cause one was making noise and replaced a faulty rubber oil line with a new and improved steel one, common problem to many 3.5L Toyota motors of that vintage. Probably the ONLY common problem.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I know. But I still love 'em.

I did get smart several years ago and started buying the wife Lexus' to drive. That way I only have one car that ever needs worked on.

In the last 10+ years and around 400K miles on her two Lexus RX350s, a '07 and a '15, I have done exactly 2 repairs beyond regular maintenance. They were both on the '07 and both happened around 200K; replaced both rear wheel bearings cause one was making noise and replaced a faulty rubber oil line with a new and improved steel one, common problem to many 3.5L Toyota motors of that vintage. Probably the ONLY common problem.
    German engineers have been making mechanics out of owners since 1937. I have 4 Volkswagens and a toolbox full of tools that I will only use on my VWs. Seems like every weekend I’m working on someone’s car.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I try to do as much as I possibly can on my own. Sometimes time just won't allow. When we bought our house, it was in sad shape. Many late evenings getting it back in shape. I can hold my own on vehicles/mowers so that's saved a lot of money and hassle.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

APekkq3l.jpg

a82qHD6l.jpg

URPTBGnl.jpg

WECDMGfl.jpg

6ECef87l.jpg

I find that mechanical things like cars and mower motors, It pays me to work while I pay someone else to work on my stuff. It takes them less time and It doesn't steal my joy. I can and have worked on my own stuff occasionally. I CAN do it. Most of the time I shouldn't.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I enjoy not having to shell out big bucks. I can do most things like sweating simple connections, PVC work, Minor electrical, minor construction, etc.

I just wish I could get the kids interested in learning. I just cant get it through their heads that if they dont learn, they'll pay dearly when they grow up.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I have worked on my own stuff all my life (60+ years). Told my wife I have saved us about a million dollars, so now I can afford to pay someone else to fix that which I do not wish to work on.;)

Top Bottom