• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Definitely stay away from the majority of cheap dog food like Walmart brand and local grocery store brands. I went through about 30 different brands before I came across Diamond throughout the years. She likes it she fills up on it she doesn't over eat I leave a self feeder it lasts for a week or more depending on how much she is exercising aka running down rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels, coon, and pretty much anything that runs or fights.

20210707_155954.jpg
    She is 94lbs in this picture.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Lots of good choices given. I will add in Victor, American Journey and Fromms. I have to rotate food because my dog seems to get bored with his food. I rotate the three mentioned as well as Purina One and Diamond Naturals.
    Victor used to be good food, but I think it was about the end of 2018 that they were bought out by a major manufacturer that has since cut a few corners to save manufacturing costs. We fed it for a while up until that time frame, when we started to notice the lower quality (mainly in the coat).

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    Purina Pro Plan here. We have 7 Newfoundlands, a Bernese Mountain Dog and an Australian Cattle Dog at a show this week and all 7 are on that. A lot of breeders and show dogs are on that food.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Both dogs get Blue Buffalo just different varieties

For the Boxer/Chihuahua/Everything Bagel
    144073_MAIN._AC_SL1500_V1562359321_.jpg

For the Corgi pup

download (9).jpeg

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I’ve been buying Purina, either beef or chicken flavor from Sam’s for many years. It’s a 57lb bag for about $22. I’ve never noticed any problems with my current Shepard/lab mix or my previous black lab. Neither of them were very fond of it though. They’d only eat if they were hungry. I’ve asked a couple different vets but they were all non-commital on food choices. Pretty much said if he eats it, it’s okay.
    I may start a thread later on dog behavioral issues. My current dog and previous best friend both had some difficult issues. Not sure if it’s part of their personality or something I’m inadvertently teaching them.
    Matt

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Just wondering what everyone is feeding their dogs? It appears we may not be feeding the best pet food for our gang.

For the longest time we have been feeding Purina Dog chow, but it looks like their is a lot of grain filler, which might explain why the goats devour it. Looks like the Canine officers over at Metro are fed Diamond brand, but I am not sure if that is due to cost or If it is proven to meet their needs. For simplicity I would like feed on brand to both the pets and the LGD’s.

With Purina Pushing $30.00 a bag it seems like a good time to check to see if their are better alternatives?

Thanks
    I’ve fed my Akita Iams Large Breed since she was old enough to eat adult food. My vet told me it’s what he feeds his big dogs. Good enough for him, good enough for me.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Just wondering what everyone is feeding their dogs? It appears we may not be feeding the best pet food for our gang.

For the longest time we have been feeding Purina Dog chow, but it looks like their is a lot of grain filler, which might explain why the goats devour it. Looks like the Canine officers over at Metro are fed Diamond brand, but I am not sure if that is due to cost or If it is proven to meet their needs. For simplicity I would like feed on brand to both the pets and the LGD’s.

With Purina Pushing $30.00 a bag it seems like a good time to check to see if their are better alternatives?

Thanks
    Our LGDs also eat Dog Chow, only it is the Tender and Crunchy version. My male is VERY picky. We tried a number of other foods, but he would barely eat them unless I added a can of wet food to them. We actually stumbled upon it when we had puppies and my son accidently bought the Tender Crunchy Puppy Chow. the adults loved it, so we tried the adult version once the puppies were gone.

The Goats ate every one of them. The Grain content had nothing to do with it. Goats like to eat. :):

The dogs used to just let them. Thankfully they stopped that once we started feeding them this food.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    4health brand. Sold at Tractor Supply. On par w/ Science Diet but ~$30-45/40 lbs.
    My wife & I have been with a couple of rescues for about 20 yrs. This is what we recommend to all of our adopters.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    I've been feeding my 6 month old GSP Purina Pro Plan, but will move to Diamond Naturals after she's full grown. I used diamond for several years with my last GSP, and she did great with it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Nutrisource large breed lamb and rice here. Chicken products bother his gut, and this was recommended by our vet and a few other large breed owners. Made in the USA.

He also eats like a KING. He prefers some sort of soft food or gravy mixed in, so... my wife cooks a cheap pork roast once per week and mixes in a few large spoonfuls with each meal. He licks the bowl clean.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    Usually Old Yeller, mixed w/on sale/reduced dog food, rice, and veggies.

Lolita, my late Australian Shepherd(lived 16 years) and Puddles, my Black Lab/Husky(currently3) have been fed this as well as meat scraps and bones.

Both never had an issue so far, and would run themselves ragged.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Update:

Well after extensive research, looks like our LGD’S are going to be getting home cooked dog food, combined with a BARF diet, yeah I know, great acronyms!

Figured it out looks like we can spend about the same amount of money doing home prepared dog food, and raw diet consisting of beef, chicken and other proteins. Giving them a superior food versus one consisting mainly of fillers.

looks like I will be going after a deer this year, seems like a pretty good way to provide for them.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    When we got our GSP last winter we never thought much about dog food... Always gave Ol' Roy from Wally to our Labs and they loved it... Well, the GSP had dull fur when we got her. At family Christmas, an in-law was going on about how Gentle Giants help their old golden retriever have more energy. We tried it and within a couple weeks the GSP's coat was shiny and silky smooth. Even the 12 year old lab seemed to be getting around better. So, we are a Gentle Giants buyer now. You can get it at Wally. Its not cheap but not the most expensive. YMMV. Do your research.

Top Bottom