• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    As far as big brands that are readily available, I have fed the Diamond naturals for years with good success. Purina One also has good results for most dogs.

You mentioned that the dogs work pretty hard, and if that is the case you might consider a higher fat and protein. I have been feeding Kinetic 30K to my Malinois for his whole life, and he does really well on it. It is not cheap however.
    Yes they have full run of the pasture, used to close it off at night, but after having them out for a few nights, I discovered they kept the deer from eating the corn out back, which is a huge plus.

They run in shifts, one will run the front fence line, the other one will run the back 40 and they will often meet in the middle, and to come up front to get water.
    it’s pretty amazing to watch them work as a team.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I’ll throw in a vote for Sam’s club brand Lamb and Rice, chicken and rice also available. I’ve read a lot of ingredient tags where they are trying to make you think it’s not grain, but it is. This seems to be legitimate. We’ve fed this for many years, to Labs, a mastiff, and a Dane, and the difference in grain vs not is amazing.
    Costco has their version as well and it’s fine, the Dane now prefers Sam’s.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    We used grain free Blue natural with out last dog who developed a cardiomyopathy at 10 years old. Blue is one of the grain free foods that has been implicated in possibly causing a cardiomyopathy in breeds not prone to it. I would double check with your vet.
    This problem appears to be caused by chemicals in the legumes (beans, peas etc) substituted for the grains to go grain-free. The theory is that they interfere with the dog's production of Taurine from precursor chemicals and Taurine deficiency is implicated in the canine cardiomyopathy

Also beware of ingredient stacking, where a manufacturer will list all the legumes and pulses (seeds of legumes) individually which will have them well down on the list of ingredients so they seem like the quantities are minimal, but since it is total legumes that is the concern they add up to asignificant portion of the food

I know some foods have begun to add taurine but have not been able to tell whether that is effective or whether the same chemistry might interfere with taurine uptake. The best solution seems to be to go back to grain containing formulas with minimal legumes (there is still usually some because they increase the protein assay as they are 25% protein). Grain free is a needless fad for most humans and appears to be downright dangerous for dogs. Just also beware of too much corn because of excess sugar

I'll come back to this later, I need to look it up but I can eventually cite an FDA (I believe) paper detailing that many kinds of food exhibited the problem (it lists the ones tied to the most problems, but that might be related to popularity of a brand) and a site I've used before to research quality ratings for dog foods

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    Purina pro plan is what our vet recommends. They have different blends some are prescription only like EN, that's what was prescribed to my diabetic Rottweiler. It kept him alive for 3 more years and made managing his blood sugar easier. Our new dog is a beagle he's on Pro plan sport.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    We have been using IAMS for our Aussie. He does well on it. He regulates his intake himself, food is always available and he doesn't over eat. It is supplemented with some real protein, chicken or beef in small amounts. Like all Aussies he is very high energy.

Don

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Just wondering what everyone is feeding their dogs? It appears we may not be feeding the best pet food for our gang.

For the longest time we have been feeding Purina Dog chow, but it looks like their is a lot of grain filler, which might explain why the goats devour it. Looks like the Canine officers over at Metro are fed Diamond brand, but I am not sure if that is due to cost or If it is proven to meet their needs. For simplicity I would like feed on brand to both the pets and the LGD’s.

With Purina Pushing $30.00 a bag it seems like a good time to check to see if their are better alternatives?

Thanks
    Before our Lab passed 5 years ago, he was fed Purina One (typically lamb) for his entire 12 year life. Was healthy right up to the end. It was recommended by the puppy trainer for K9 Companions, who train labs to be handicapped assistance dogs.
    --Rick

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Its not cheap but Royal Canin. Breed specific. When talking to a professor at the Purdue school of veterinary medicine it was highly recommended. I changed for awhile to a cheaper brand and could see the difference in a week. More shedding. Scratching less energy.
    I'm sold on it.

Attachments

• 16277528290631995775011351123161.jpg
      16277528290631995775011351123161.jpg
      747.4 KB · Views: 4

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Lots of good choices given. I will add in Victor, American Journey and Fromms. I have to rotate food because my dog seems to get bored with his food. I rotate the three mentioned as well as Purina One and Diamond Naturals.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Its not cheap but Royal Canin. Breed specific. When talking to a professor at the Purdue school of veterinary medicine it was highly recommended. I changed for awhile to a cheaper brand and could see the difference in a week. More shedding. Scratching less energy.
    I'm sold on it.
    That is made here locally, plant right off 40 in Lebanon.

Top Bottom