• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade1978

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Porter
    I just read a July 11, 2004 Indy Star newspaper article, and it said that, if you have a permit, you do not need to conceal your weapon. While I have no intention of brandishing it or anything like that, it would be nice to know that, if I'm wearing a jacket or coat, I can carry open on my hip for speed of access. Does anyone know if Indiana Law allows us to carry our weapons in the open? Sorry, but I have a fundamental distrust of the media. :draw:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The statute reads carry. It does not mandate any method of carrying.

Get the license.

Concealed may be better tactically for you--crowds, coffeehouses in Broad Ripple, inter alia--but the decision is yours.

Get the license.

Renegade1978

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Porter
    I've had my license for over 6 years, but I guess I never knew about the open carry. I've carried concealed the whole time, which is often quite necessary for me, since I'm a pastor.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, Indiana is an Open-carry state

You have to be careful. When some individuals hear that they believe that they can open carry without a license as some states (especially out West) permit.

In Indiana you need to . . . *wait for it* . . . GET THE LICENSE.

Have I mentioned the necessity of getting the license?:D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Correct...in Indiana, your permit is for a License to Carry Handgun. It does not mean that it has to be concealed, but why draw the attention? Also, if I am somewhere, such as a restaurant and I have my weapon openly displayed, I would think the bad guy is gonna head straight for me first and shoot, so as to eliminate his threat. Then he can go about his business of robbing patrons.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Correct...in Indiana, your permit is for a License to Carry Handgun. It does not mean that it has to be concealed, but why draw the attention? Also, if I am somewhere, such as a restaurant and I have my weapon openly displayed, I would think the bad guy is gonna head straight for me first and shoot, so as to eliminate his threat. Then he can go about his business of robbing patrons.

Can you cite any examples of civilians who have been targeted during a robbery of a bank/store/restaurant/etc because they openly carried?

Is there any factual evidence to back up what you think or are you perpetuating a myth?

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    For the record...you can carry a firearm openly in Indiana...However comma...
    You are asking for people to freak out, they may call the police because uninformed individuals consider it brandishing a firearm, you may be questioned, they may cause a scene, and I do not guarantee that the office will know the law about this.

IMHO...I don't want someone to know I have a firearm until I choose to let them know (unless I am working of course), or go through the hassle. Open carry at your own risk.

bdj357

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    DaRegion NWI Crown Point
    Can you cite any examples of civilians who have been targeted during a robbery of a bank/store/restaurant/etc because they openly carried?

Is there any factual evidence to back up what you think or are you perpetuating a myth?

It is tactically sound...If I was a criminal (and a murderer)...that's what I would do! Eliminate the greatest threat first.

sianbrimons

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Elkhart
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    LOL....melensdad and ATM....I did not state anything, supply any stats, nor am I perpetuating a myth. Rather, if you read what I put down, it is only my own thought as to why I would not openly carry. IMHO, I would rather not tell anyone that I am carrying a weapon by openly displaying it.

But I look at the link and it makes for good reading...thanks for posting.

Top Bottom