• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    If you do carry in the open, be prepared to get harrassed by the police. You'll be an easy "contact" for them. They need so many "contacts" a day.

I open carry with some regularity and this has never happened to me. The only "contact" I have was another "carry license" individual (been carrying for 20 years, he said) who wanted to suggest that I cover up to avoid scaring the sheep.

Never an encounter with police. Ever.

Some have, of course, but it's not as common as the fearmongers would have you believe.

rwbrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    I open carry with some regularity and this has never happened to me. The only "contact" I have was another "carry license" individual (been carrying for 20 years, he said) who wanted to suggest that I cover up to avoid scaring the sheep.

Never an encounter with police. Ever.

Some have, of course, but it's not as common as the fearmongers would have you believe.
    some guys make sheep nervous without a gun

musclecarr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Owen County
    I've never been harassed either, but I only OC when it is sensible too do so. But a few of my friends that OC in to a resturant before will tell you they have been. Also I guess its where you live. Out here in the country the police don't care as much. In the city, the police will harass you. Harassment is any cop who ask for a permit when it is obvious you OC and have a LTCH.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I've never been harassed either, but I only OC when it is sensible too do so. But a few of my friends that OC in to a resturant before will tell you they have been. Also I guess its where you live. Out here in the country the police don't care as much. In the city, the police will harass you. Harassment is any cop who ask for a permit when it is obvious you OC and have a LTCH.
    Musclecarr, I am not trying to promote OC over CC or DC. I can only speak from my personal experience. I carry around my small town in Adams County, I OC frequently in Ft. Wayne and downtown Indy when I go to IU Hospital to see my doc, as well as many other towns and cities in Indiana that I visit while traveling. I have crossed paths with many types of LEOs in convenience stores and such with whom I may make eye contact, smile and nod my head in greeting. I have never once had any LEO ask me for my LTCH.

If your friends are being harassed, are they taking appropriate steps after the encounters? Talking with the Chief of Police or their supervisors to file a complaint about their encounter? If they have, good on them. If they haven't, they are contributing to the problem by not bringing it to the LEA's attention that they are breaking the law (from some of the legal citations posted on INGO here lately) and so the problem continues.

Not jumping on you about what you wrote, just disagreeing with your words. :ingo:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO

lol, Fort Wayne a city.

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    As I read through this thread...I began to realize that many people 'think' that they understand what a criminal is thinking prior to and during their attack...and having been an EMT, as well as a reserve officer, I am realizing that they don't.

The criminal, while out perpetraing his/her crimes, wants 3 things:

1. To be quick about it...15 seconds to 30 seconds, tops. Get in, get it done, and get out...fast. They want the element of surprise, so if you're not watching closely, they'll get you. They like corners, cars, etc...anywhere they can hide and surprise you, overpower you, and win with shock and speed.

2. To overpower their victim with speed, intimidation, bullying, threatening, etc...to make you cower in fear and hand over whatever they are wanting from you quickly...car keys, wallet, watch, jewelry, etc. They want you to be afraid so as to comply with their demands...remember, a robbery is not a negotiation!!!

3. To obtain their goal...again, be it car keys, wallet, watch, jewelry, etc...they want what they want...quickly...get in, get out...fast!!!!

I'm doubting that most people, concealed carry or open carry gun toters or not, will be able to even recognize or react to the immediate threat in the face of total surprise? Not everyone on this site has had experience in dealing with the criminal element or the after-affects that people face, and have no idea of the amount of fear, numbness, adrenyline, etc...that can have positive or negative effects on your ability to act or react to the situation. Some people actually freeze and cannot even comply with the criminal's request, much less even think about drawing and operating a handgun under such circumstances! You might think about it later, or even have some type of Van Damme response from some guy walking away after getting his butt kicked, saying "Yea....I'll get you back!" but don't do it!

The best thing you can do, under the circumstances, would be to simply comply with a larceny (robbery) attack and let it go. If they threaten bodily harm, or even cause it, human nature will take over and you will fight back...and if you happen to have a gun...and you are able to get it out, you will have a chance (which is why I favor the little 5-shot revolvers...they are exactly what they are designed to be...pull, point-n-shoot guns...pull it, point it or put it against the assailant's body, and pull the trigger a couple of times...purely defensive and defendable)...I hate to think that I would have to draw a gun, flip the little safety, point the gun, have him grab the slide, I pull the trigger and his grip prevents the slide from operating...whooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaa nellie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (You'd better have a 5 pound gun and start beating the **** out of him really fast!!!)

It really comes down to this...open carry...concealed carry...it's a personal choice and it simply comes down to what you're comfortable with or what your purpose is.

Just remember that no matter how you carry, you still need to do all the pertinent things like:
    1. Be aware of your surroundings and who's where.
    2. Keep your personal space and ID the BG early (if possible)...and take appropriate steps to avoid him/her.
    3. Position yourself where you can see things before they start...for example, when I am in restaurants, I always like to sit off to the side, facing the door...so I can see who/what walks in and where they go...just a habit I picked up years ago.
    4. Be smart...don't force a gun fight. The long-term effects can be disasterous...even if you're the one who lives.

:twocents:
    u arent to sure how a semi auto handgun works are ya, i carry mine with 1 in the chamber, u can put ur hand on my slide and try to stop it from fireing, but that will b the last thing u feel, with 1 in the chamber it dosnt matter, if i squeeze it goes bang...ill carry my 14+1 fnp .40, u can have a 5 shot revolver i have 3x that much and no reloadind
    God Bless! :patriot:
    u dont know much about semi auto handguns do ya? i carry 1 in the chamber, and u can put ur hand on my slide and try to stop it, but it would b the last thing u feel, with 1 in the chamber there is no need 4 ur slide to move, i pull the trigger it goes boom, ill stick with my 14+1 fnp .40, u can have that 5 shot

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Not entirely correct, moving the slide as little as 1/16 of an inch on some semi-autos will bring the firearm out of battery and the pistol will not fire. It is a common technique taught as a last ditch self defense move against a firearm when unarmed.

No one is immune from their gun being grabbed, nor is anyone here immune from being disarmed. As for open carry...why do you think so many LEO's are shot with their own firearms? Because if you get jumped by two or more people you will likely lose that open carry primary gun.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom