• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Why would you want to carry a shotgun or a rifle?

You know!! For the self defense, close quarters, life-on-the-line situations of 150-300 yards or so! "Officer, he had this look on his face! I saw it through my 16X scope, you wouldn't have believed it!" :D

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    melensdad...I don't really need to cite anything, when I am only making my own opinion on what is preferential for my own person.

I am not making an argument, of which this sounds like you are doing.
    Nope, not trying to argue, simply trying to stick to FACTUAL information. While I very rarely carry openly, some of the misstatements about open carry are silly. I have the same general preference to carry concealed that you have but I will not allow personal feelings to step on the facts.

Let me explain something to you...
    I DO NOT HAVE AN EXAMPLE . . .

If you want any examples...GOOGLE, check I don't know if there is, and I don't care. That is why it is my opinion.
    I understand, your feelings have overridden the factual information that is available and you choose to ignore it. There are NO examples in a GOOGLE search. There are no examples in the FBI crime data records either because it has never happened.

I do understand that if you were a criminal you would try to shoot someone who open carried first. That does bring me to a question, however. . . how do you know that they won't see you first and shoot you first :dunno:

For whatever it is worth, I will be open carrying Thursday evening. My gun on my hip will be a Detonics Combat Master, fully engraved, loaded with 45 hollowpoints. If I am a target tomorrow night, well that person better hope that he is a good shot and a quick draw because I actually practice with my carry pistols.

If anyone wants to find me, I'll be wearing this gun:
    4-2.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    east central indiana
    you know what this topic makes me want an answer to a question, if you have the handgun hunting permit, can you still carry it open, to and from your hunting site? or does it have to be concealed on your way home, because as i understand it, you can only go to and from a range, or hunting to carry the handgun.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Nope, not trying to argue, simply trying to stick to FACTUAL information. While I very rarely carry openly, some of the misstatements about open carry are silly. I have the same general preference to carry concealed that you have but I will not allow personal feelings to step on the facts.

I understand, your feelings have overridden the factual information that is available and you choose to ignore it. There are NO examples in a GOOGLE search. There are no examples in the FBI crime data records either because it has never happened.

I do understand that if you were a criminal you would try to shoot someone who open carried first. That does bring me to a question, however. . . how do you know that they won't see you first and shoot you first :dunno:

For whatever it is worth, I will be open carrying Thursday evening. My gun on my hip will be a Detonics Combat Master, fully engraved, loaded with 45 hollowpoints. If I am a target tomorrow night, well that person better hope that he is a good shot and a quick draw because I actually practice with my carry pistols.

If anyone wants to find me, I'll be wearing this gun:
    4-2.jpg

Something I would be worried about with open carry is getting gun snatched. You reach for your food at the counter and someone behind has open access to your gun. I only carry concealed. If someone entered a store with open carry I would have one hand on my gun and one eye on them at all times. I don't know who they are and what they are doing. If it makes me uncomfortable think what it does to someone that is nervous around guns. I know it is legal but makes me nervous.
    By the way beautiful gun:D

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Correct...in Indiana, your permit is for a License to Carry Handgun. It does not mean that it has to be concealed, but why draw the attention? Also, if I am somewhere, such as a restaurant and I have my weapon openly displayed, I would think the bad guy is gonna head straight for me first and shoot, so as to eliminate his threat. Then he can go about his business of robbing patrons.
    While I admit this is a possible scenario I do believe Open carry is more likely to deter criminal activity than to bring it on. Gun store owners and workers quite often open carry, and I believe they are wise to do so. Sending a message that robbing this place is dangerous, is a great idea.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Something I would be worried about with open carry is getting gun snatched. You reach for your food at the counter and someone behind has open access to your gun. I only carry concealed. If someone entered a store with open carry I would have one hand on my gun and one eye on them at all times. I don't know who they are and what they are doing. If it makes me uncomfortable think what it does to someone that is nervous around guns. I know it is legal but makes me nervous.
    By the way beautiful gun:D

Well there is an INGO Open Carry event on Thursday at the PIT STOP SMOKE SHOP in Schererville (Pine Island Plaza on US30 at Pine Island Ct) and I'll be there wearing the gun in that photo. I'd love to meet you there.

As for getting the gun snatched, that is a VALID concern. At an OC event its not really much of an issue with several other friendly gun owners around to cover your back. It is also not an issue if you work behind a counter at a store, but your scenario at a fast food counter is not at all unrealistic. The obvious choice for anyone who does OC in public is to wear a retention holster, that practically eliminates almost any possibility of a snatch. Further, and very importantly, anyone who does OC needs to have a good deal of situational awareness and proximity awareness of those around him.

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I had a Friend that was a Golden glove boxer. He wouldn't walk around with his boxing gloves or a shirt saying he was the #1 boxer in the state just because he knew that he could whip the world. But let me tell ya if the SHTF he would open a can of whoop a$$ and the person wondered which 5 guys just whooped him.

Just because you can, maybe it's not a good thing to advertise , because for the most part that is trying to get attention. I think open carry is not a good thing, But you can by law it is legal so to each thier own. Jim

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Just because you can, maybe it's not a good thing to advertise , because for the most part that is trying to get attention. I think open carry is not a good thing, But you can by law it is legal so to each thier own. Jim
    Jim, when I do open carry it is actually very rare that anyone notices that I have a gun on my hip. So if you think that I am trying to get attention then it is clear that I am failing to achieve the goal you claim. What am I doing wrong? Should I wear a shirt with a big arrow on it that points to my gun?

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    By no means do I put everyone in the catagory of "trying to get attention" . I do believe in some cases open carry is totally fine. Like at a gun shop or maybe a person that owns a jewelry store just to let people know this might be a bad day if you come in here and mess around.

Maybe I just Don't get the open carry thing but it seems to me that it would do more harm to the LTCH folks than good. But I would be the first guy to come up and say what kind of handgun you got there, Esp. If I seen a gun like the one a couple of post's up (the engraved .45). By no means would I ever say anything negative to a OCer If I seen them doing it.

I know this has been beaten to death and hope not to ever ruffle anyone feathers by saying my side but at least now I git 50 posts so if I do pi$$ everyone off I can atleast get on the for sale spot and seel all my Guns. LOL!!! Jim

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    By no means do I put everyone in the catagory of "trying to get attention" . I do believe in some cases open carry is totally fine. Like at a gun shop or maybe a person that owns a jewelry store just to let people know this might be a bad day if you come in here and mess around.

Maybe I just Don't get the open carry thing but it seems to me that it would do more harm to the LTCH folks than good. But I would be the first guy to come up and say what kind of handgun you got there, Esp. If I seen a gun like the one a couple of post's up (the engraved .45). By no means would I ever say anything negative to a OCer If I seen them doing it.

I know this has been beaten to death and hope not to ever ruffle anyone feathers by saying my side but at least now I git 50 posts so if I do pi$$ everyone off I can atleast get on the for sale spot and seel all my Guns. LOL!!! Jim

OC isn't for everyone. As noted, you do have to pay extra attention to your gun and who is around you, for example reach for that fast food order with your weak hand so as not to leave the gun exposed. You have to be prepared to answer questions calmly, without assuming someone is anti-gun or whatever when they ask. I've had a couple folks ask why I was carrying, and got the opportunity to explain my thoughts on self defense, how it's my job to protect my family, how I view carrying a gun as no different than owning first aid kits and fire extinguishers, and how I OC both for comfort, but also to get the opportunity to create awareness by answering questions just like they asked. Both times have been very pleasant conversations. You also have to be prepared for the fact that a police officer may not know the law, or may not care what it is, and be ready to deal with that, though I've never once had an issue with the police though they have noticed.

rwbrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    when i first received my ltch permit there was some question about how to carry so i called the state police fire arms division they said it's your choice but they prefer you to carry it concealed because it makes some people nervous they also sent me a copy of the 1935 firearms act

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Holy sh$t B$ombs? Really people? We live in a state where you can actually carry a handgun....open or concealed...if you have the permit!!! And we are arguing about it!!!!!! REALLY! I Mean SERIOUSLY!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    As I read through this thread...I began to realize that many people 'think' that they understand what a criminal is thinking prior to and during their attack...and having been an EMT, as well as a reserve officer, I am realizing that they don't.

The criminal, while out perpetraing his/her crimes, wants 3 things:

1. To be quick about it...15 seconds to 30 seconds, tops. Get in, get it done, and get out...fast. They want the element of surprise, so if you're not watching closely, they'll get you. They like corners, cars, etc...anywhere they can hide and surprise you, overpower you, and win with shock and speed.

2. To overpower their victim with speed, intimidation, bullying, threatening, etc...to make you cower in fear and hand over whatever they are wanting from you quickly...car keys, wallet, watch, jewelry, etc. They want you to be afraid so as to comply with their demands...remember, a robbery is not a negotiation!!!

3. To obtain their goal...again, be it car keys, wallet, watch, jewelry, etc...they want what they want...quickly...get in, get out...fast!!!!

I'm doubting that most people, concealed carry or open carry gun toters or not, will be able to even recognize or react to the immediate threat in the face of total surprise? Not everyone on this site has had experience in dealing with the criminal element or the after-affects that people face, and have no idea of the amount of fear, numbness, adrenyline, etc...that can have positive or negative effects on your ability to act or react to the situation. Some people actually freeze and cannot even comply with the criminal's request, much less even think about drawing and operating a handgun under such circumstances! You might think about it later, or even have some type of Van Damme response from some guy walking away after getting his butt kicked, saying "Yea....I'll get you back!" but don't do it!

The best thing you can do, under the circumstances, would be to simply comply with a larceny (robbery) attack and let it go. If they threaten bodily harm, or even cause it, human nature will take over and you will fight back...and if you happen to have a gun...and you are able to get it out, you will have a chance (which is why I favor the little 5-shot revolvers...they are exactly what they are designed to be...pull, point-n-shoot guns...pull it, point it or put it against the assailant's body, and pull the trigger a couple of times...purely defensive and defendable)...I hate to think that I would have to draw a gun, flip the little safety, point the gun, have him grab the slide, I pull the trigger and his grip prevents the slide from operating...whooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaa nellie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (You'd better have a 5 pound gun and start beating the **** out of him really fast!!!)

It really comes down to this...open carry...concealed carry...it's a personal choice and it simply comes down to what you're comfortable with or what your purpose is.

Just remember that no matter how you carry, you still need to do all the pertinent things like:
    1. Be aware of your surroundings and who's where.
    2. Keep your personal space and ID the BG early (if possible)...and take appropriate steps to avoid him/her.
    3. Position yourself where you can see things before they start...for example, when I am in restaurants, I always like to sit off to the side, facing the door...so I can see who/what walks in and where they go...just a habit I picked up years ago.
    4. Be smart...don't force a gun fight. The long-term effects can be disasterous...even if you're the one who lives.

:twocents:

God Bless! :patriot:

Last edited:

IN_Revol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2008
    The Greater West Laf
    +1 Amishman44!

If your situational awareness is up to par, and you feel comfortable with it, open carry is a viable option. Just remember that more than a few people don't know the law...

But then I've seen people open carry, and nobody around them even notices. Just stay sharp & safe!

Top Bottom