• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    MRP2003, Good looking Harrier. From what I've read, they use them a lot in England in hunt clubs. Females are only used for breeding. I read that in a book not the internet.
    My vet told me he has friends back in PA that use Harriers to hunt coyotes. Put radio collars on them and send them out in packs to push the yotes into a shooting area. Said they were good for that since they were fast enough but not as fast as Fox Hounds which would actually catch the yotes and kill them. Debated about potentially breeding mine as he is considered show quality.

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have enjoyed this thread myself. I have never hunted over a Beagle, but had three local men hunt on my place with Beagles every year for a few years. Two brothers would bring their Dad out here hunting. As youngsters their Dad would bring them here to hunt before I owned the property. As the two went through school and got professional careers they got away from hunting. As Dad got older they wanted to get him out hunting and I was more then happy to give them the okay to hunt here. They always invited me to join them but I did not want to intrude. I always enjoyed watching and hearing the Beagles working the woods. The last year they made it out Dad could not take the cold weather and it was getting to hard for him walking the woods. He went back to the car telling the boys to keep hunting, but they did not feel right staying in the woods with Dad setting in the car. They got the dog and headed home. That was the last year they came out. At that time the one Boy still lived in Bremen, the other one lived up north a little if I remember correctly. I have always had dogs, maybe someday I will have a Beagle?
    one more

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have enjoyed this thread myself. I have never hunted over a Beagle, but had three local men hunt on my place with Beagles every year for a few years. Two brothers would bring their Dad out here hunting. As youngsters their Dad would bring them here to hunt before I owned the property. As the two went through school and got professional careers they got away from hunting. As Dad got older they wanted to get him out hunting and I was more then happy to give them the okay to hunt here. They always invited me to join them but I did not want to intrude. I always enjoyed watching and hearing the Beagles working the woods. The last year they made it out Dad could not take the cold weather and it was getting to hard for him walking the woods. He went back to the car telling the boys to keep hunting, but they did not feel right staying in the woods with Dad setting in the car. They got the dog and headed home. That was the last year they came out. At that time the one Boy still lived in Bremen, the other one lived up north a little if I remember correctly. I have always had dogs, maybe someday I will have a Beagle?
    one more
    Good on you for giving them access to your land. Many people want to be paid a fee to allow a person access to private land these days. Hunting with a beagle or two is a blast.

Many years ago, we were given access to some old strip pits that happened to be where rabbit hunter little world field trials were held every year. This place was about 6,000 acres and the guy had power of attorney over most of it. There were a handful of owners property that weren't hunted out of respect to owners wishes. The guy that gace us access was a breeder and knew several other breeders. He set up a few hunts where we went down, and met up with him and a breeder out of KY and another out of WI. Amongst the bunch of us we had like 20 beagles out running at one time. Had small packs of 4 or 5 scattered everywhere chasing rabbits. This place was loaded with bunnies. We spent a good amount of time just BS'ing alon a tailgate while the dogs did their thing. We could have shot a limit with no problem but it was more about letting the dogs work.
    Those were good times. Lost access when he passed about 10yrs ago, but it was great while it lasted

pappyon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2020
    the gun dogs are hard to find. The field trial ones are everywhere. so slow on a track its painful.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I am an avid outdoorsman and rabbit hunter, was raised hunting with beagles and have owned and trained for the last 25-30 years. I have 2 females currently and have a few friends that hunt together. I am always willing to break away to intro. new people to the sport, especially looking for private land to run and hunt on.

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    I would have to say if the parents are hunters, so will the pups. If a pup is started out on bottle rockets and .22s they should not worry when you hunt them. One of mine doesn't like neighbors shooting but comes running when I shoot to see what we got.

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    I took my 2 beagles out this morning to run my 5 acres of scrub. It's an everyday thing that sometimes lasts for hours. Fresh snow and tracks but never a howl because it was too cold for them to scent. I'm glad they were ready to go inside after 20 minutes. Yes, they are spoiled and live inside but they are my entertainment and keep me off the couch.

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    Good looking tri color Long Range. Looks like he would be a good size for brushpiles. Both mine wear training collars to keep them honest especially off my property. Mostly use the bell or viberate but shock if they ignore the warnings

LongRangeBushy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Wabash County
    We rescued her at About 2 years old and she was very timid. She would never stand a shock collar ... it took us about 2 years to touch her feet..... now he hunts rabbits on a leash in our woods and has more beds than the kids ever had .. lol

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Owned several beagles over the years. They are surely faithful companions and great rabbit hunters. Nothing like a brace of beagles on a rabbit in an overgrown field. Owned one when I was a kid named Joker. Once he was on a rabbit, you had better shoot it or he would not stop unless it holed up. I remember several hunts that we had to ambush him on a trail to get him in the car to go home. I love to hear them give voice on a trail. Days gone bye.

Top Bottom