• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    I have 2 half brothers that were one way or another orphans. Every morning starts with a 2 hour run in my 5 acre weedpatch. The rabbits are so smart they head across the road to safety. My boys won't touch the blacktop as they have learned it is hot as in training collars. I have 3 other places they love to go to so I consider myself lucky. They keep me off the couch so I am grateful. We are going to do some actual hunting tomorrow and let them get some fur in their mouths. I don't hunt my property because I want them to not have something to chase. End of story. Someday when I learn I'll post pictures if any interest.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Had a pair of tri-color brothers. One lived 17 years. I didn't hunt with them but they were certainly family dogs, one of which was the best mole hunter ever.

Jackand-Rudy-With-STi.jpg

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Great picture of your dogs. Thanks for sharing.

Funny story- They were AKC registered and when I told the breeder that they would be housepets he almost didn't sell them to me. That's when I pulled the wad of cash out of my pocket. He relented. Glad he did.

IndyTim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    We adopted our first beagle back in 2003. We had to say goodbye in January 2019, she very nearly made it to 16 years old.

Our next beagle we adopted in May of just this year when she was 8 weeks old. Still very much a puppy, and much more vocal than our last beagle.

Both are house beagles and do not hunt. They also are both Black and Tan females.

Our newest addition.
    9f16cc688b265e1eb0984d98df803864.jpg

IndyTim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    And our first beagle. Tapatalk allows only one pic per post, unless I’m doing something wrong.
    28935869ac061601ba59b7006998662b.jpg

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    Great pictures and stories. Mine are also house dogs. We hunted yesterday under the gun but no rabbit stew tonite. Mine cornered one at a fence and one grabbed it but had never heard a rabbit scream so it was dropped. They were very discourged when he tore off and went under a barn. I totalled up costs and figure about $1200.00 a year not counting food to keep them happy. Small price to pay for the music they make and entertainment they supply.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    My father used to keep beagle's for many years after giving up on coon hunting. We spent many a weekend after deer season ended chasing rabbits behind a black and tan/beagle mix and an AKC registered beagle. The black and tan mix was one of the best rabbit dogs I've ever been around. He was a little faster than ideal,he wasn't much taller than most beagles but he was a lot longer and could really cover ground, making for some tricky shots at times. In fact he was able to catch rabbits himself on many occasions. Unlike many rabbit dogs I've been around, including his pure bred sidekick, he absolutely loved to dive into the thickest, nastiest brush piles he could find. You could almost see his eyes light up when he found a new patch of brush to explore. Eventually, we started focusing more on deer hunting and I moved off to the city, then both dogs passed and were never really replaced.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    My father used to keep beagle's for many years after giving up on coon hunting. We spent many a weekend after deer season ended chasing rabbits behind a black and tan/beagle mix and an AKC registered beagle. The black and tan mix was one of the best rabbit dogs I've ever been around. He was a little faster than ideal,he wasn't much taller than most beagles but he was a lot longer and could really cover ground, making for some tricky shots at times. In fact he was able to catch rabbits himself on many occasions. Unlike many rabbit dogs I've been around, including his pure bred sidekick, he absolutely loved to dive into the thickest, nastiest brush piles he could find. You could almost see his eyes light up when he found a new patch of brush to explore. Eventually, we started focusing more on deer hunting and I moved off to the city, then both dogs passed and were never really replaced.

:yesway: That is some wonderful memories.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My brother and I went on our first rabbit hunt with my dad and uncle when I was 9yo (brother was 11 I think). We were hooked and after about 2yrs dad bought a couple Beagles and we have had a couple around ever since, so about 32 or 33 years now.
    Had some great dogs over the years and most are still missed but remembered well. Spent many years chasing rabbits and listening to the beagle music every Saturday throughout the winter and made many great memories with my dad and brother. We still chase rabbits but not as much as we did before we had jobs & kids etc. The 2 beagles dad has now were bred to hunt wild hares and they are almost too fast and range a bit more than I like but good dogs.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Have a Harrier. Very close relative to the beagle and extremely rare. He is mistaken for a beagle, a very over grown beagle, View attachment 94975

My brother bought a pure bred beagle with a strong field trial heritage, the breeder only sold the dog because he was too tall according to field trial regulations. That dog regularly would jump a rabbit, chase it down, catch it and eat half of it before we could get to him.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    My vet told me that he has friends back in PA that use harriers in packs to hunt coyotes. Put radio collars on them and have them run the coyotes into shooting range. We thought of studding him out since he is pure bred w papers and considered show quality. We just don’t know anyone nearby to stud him with. We could stud him w a beagle breeder that is looking for a little taller hunting beagles but they technically wouldn’t be pure bred

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Used to hunt with a buddy and his Jack Russell. We took a shovel and an axe. Keep the rabbits moving until Penny would catch them and bring them to us.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Love this thread..... I’ve never owned a beagle but it has always been on my mind to own one..... I just like them. Years ago a buddy and I were walking a state property just checking things out and we could hear a trio baying..... ten minutes later here they come two males and a female. They stuck to me like glue you would of thought they were mine. About a half hour later their owner shows up (all three were walking to heel) and when I stopped they sat down at my side. Owner apologizes and scolds them and I said hey no problem I enjoyed them. He called them over to him and there they sat looking at me LOL..... I told em to go on and off they went. About an hour later I hear them baying off in the distance and just like last time here they come. Ended up walking around with my buddy and the three dogs and eventually found the owner yet again..... he scolded them as traitors and couldn’t figure out why they liked me more than him..... told him you gotta be a dog man.......

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Love this thread..... I’ve never owned a beagle but it has always been on my mind to own one..... I just like them. Years ago a buddy and I were walking a state property just checking things out and we could hear a trio baying..... ten minutes later here they come two males and a female. They stuck to me like glue you would of thought they were mine. About a half hour later their owner shows up (all three were walking to heel) and when I stopped they sat down at my side. Owner apologizes and scolds them and I said hey no problem I enjoyed them. He called them over to him and there they sat looking at me LOL..... I told em to go on and off they went. About an hour later I hear them baying off in the distance and just like last time here they come. Ended up walking around with my buddy and the three dogs and eventually found the owner yet again..... he scolded them as traitors and couldn’t figure out why they liked me more than him..... told him you gotta be a dog man.......

A fun memory.

Top Bottom