Do you use a sight pusher for installing night sights or a punch?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shooter5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Indiana
    Wheeler sight pusher has handled everything I’ve thrown at it. Great idea of using leather to protect the slide. I usually put masking tape on slide....so leather would be more protective and no tape residue to worry about.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    I have two sight pushers I use. One cost around $75 and the other is a deluxe meprolight pusher that will push any sight effectively even Kimber sights. Amazon has a tool for around $40 that would probably be a best buy. I once purchased a Kimber that someone had tried to remove the sights using a punch. It was beat up pretty bad. The guy I purchased it from said it was not him but I suspect it was and he was too embarrassed to man up to it. I have seen night sight tubes broken due to someone using punches as well. I vote for a pusher.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    If you are asking about a Glock, I can assure you ANY night sights have been installed with a mallet. It takes them about 15-20 seconds per pistol.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I am talking about 'if you ordered them with night sights', the distributor for the region adds them before shipping with a mallet.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I have the Wheeler unit as well - good call about using leather. I've been using tape on the slide but I like the idea of putting leather in between the slide and clamps.

Ghostface

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2017
    Grant Co
    If you plan on ever replacing sights on pistols you purchase in the future or to upgrades signts on guns you already have, I cannot recommend highly enough getting a sight pusher. They are really the "correct" way to install sights and I think offer much more minute adjustments.

Plus one, its wise to have a pushe. You won’t break your vials with a pusher like you can with a punch.

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    To illustrate your point, I have a S&W M&P Shield. I have changed many sights over the years using a soft punch or a brass punch.

On this, I broke the tip off my nylon punch, then moved on to brass. eventually the brass punch became so deformed I decided to let it go.

I took it to my favorite gun shop and he told me to send it back to the factory. S&W used a hydraulic press to put them on and I would not be able to do it, even with a site tool.

That feels unlikely. Has anyone else run into this issue?

Top Bottom