• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    I think it's important the "burn-in" period is done with mags loaded to full numerical capacity. That is where I have seen most problems; either the mag won't seat under a closed slide at full capacity, or if it seats, the gun won't strip the top round. This is what I love about my Sigs; if something is advertised as 21-round capacity, you can load it to that level and it will work under all circumstances. Not all are like that; some have to be down-loaded. Only by loading them to full capacity and using them extensively, will you know.
    Just curious, what guns/mags in your experience have given you issues in this way? I've had AR mags not want to seat fully when loaded to full 30, a sharp tap and tug usually corrects that, but curious about your experience

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Carry mags, get marked and tested.

Recreational guns I rarely have more than 3 or 4 mags for. These get marked and put through normal use, but I don't make any special effort to test each.

Rifles (stanag and Ak mags) 5 get pulled, marked and tested. 4 for a load out, and one in gun. Lots of misc spares that may or may not get used at the range. If one of the go to mags goes bad it gets marked as such and a replacement selected.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Carry mags, get marked and tested.

Recreational guns I rarely have more than 3 or 4 mags for. These get marked and put through normal use, but I don't make any special effort to test each.

Rifles (stanag and Ak mags) 5 get pulled, marked and tested. 4 for a load out, and one in gun. Lots of misc spares that may or may not get used at the range. If one of the go to mags goes bad it gets marked as such and a replacement selected.
    At my house if they are not in packing they are good to go. Any magazine that doesn't work gets sent to the manufacturer for replacement.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I test my main magazines without fail. However, when you have 40+ pmags, it makes zero sense to run 1200 rounds through them to verify function. Check your duty mags, then leave em. Run your range mags and extra backup mags as you see fit. This is with pmags, but don’t know about your USGI guys. :)

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    If I plan to carry it, I do. Magazines haven't been as hard to get as ammo. So I have not wanted to "waste" any just to prove their reliability. I am talking excess mags here - if there is such a thing. When things settle down and ammo becomes realistic again, I'll make it a priority.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Not got around to testing all of them but after it's empty, I eject them to let them hit the ground. Then will add a few more rounds and run them again to make sure they still function.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    I think your good on the pmags. Never had a problem with them. Only ones that had to be modified were lr308 mags from ASC. I always test at least one when buying a different type of magazine. Depends on the caliber and mag type. 458 socom can be picky and so can 300 blackout. Just in case SHTF I like to know what I can rely on. But I tend to wear out the same few when practicing too.
    THIS>>> 458s are picky. I have had many mags that ran fine in both calibers, but i did find 1-10 pack I bought that worked in the 223/5.56, but NOT in the 458. Was lucky to swap with someone that did not have a 458

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    At minimum all mags have been cycled through from full capacity to empty at least once. No exceptions. The ones I depend on more are tracked and scrutinized a bit more. Some mags may have been used much more than others, numbering them helps as lower numerals = older mags.

In the end if whatever unwanted situation arose, I had to grab every mag I own, and even 1 was a dud it could be the 1 that mattered most. I don't bet on probably work.

Also; full capacity. Everything. Always. Tap and tug. Maximum pewage.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Just curious, what guns/mags in your experience have given you issues in this way? I've had AR mags not want to seat fully when loaded to full 30, a sharp tap and tug usually corrects that, but curious about your experience
    My problems have been with certain brands of 1911 mags (Wilson Combat), and Glocks back when I used aftermarket basepads. I was delighted to find that on Sig 320 platforms, when they say 21-round on the OEM mags, they really mean 21 rounds. They work. But again, every individual part has tolerances, so I don't trust anything without testing.

eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    Yep. I’ve had few issues, but last year I picked up an AR 10 and both the factory mags were crap. Nothing but ftf. Replaced them with pmags and no issues.

Top Bottom