• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I don't look for it, I just notice it. I can almost always tell when someone is carrying, especially if it's on the waist. My manager says I can smell the gun oil before it gets to the counter. I even called a pocket carry once, and I asked the guy in front of my manager. He looked kind of startled and relplied with yes. I told her she owed me $5.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I usually don't worry too much about the people who are CC'ing. If they're going through that much trouble they obviously are legal.

The ones who are holding their pants up with one hand are the ones I try to make sure aren't carrying anything.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Yep, I scan the crowd, waist carry most common, look for right hand hip bulges, and holsters extending past a short windbreaker jacket. Cam make them right away, and watch the "pat" on the hip when they get up out of a chair or worse, dining booth. Cover garments and photo vests can give you away, and the logos on ball caps tip my attention!
    Be discrete, wear a darker cover garment, use a good holster. Holsters with a hip plate attachment stick out too far, need a pancake or quality IWB.
    Ball or football team logos get little attention, "Glock, Smith & Wesson, Sigarms, etc" are best saved for range time, and everyone now wears camo/military stuff.
    Recently have seen a few LEOs with the trademark "FOP" caps/ short buzz haircuts. Like a neon sign! Handcuffs in the small of the back clunk on chairs, as do gun handles.
    Not paranoid, just observant.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I usually don't worry too much about the people who are CC'ing. If they're going through that much trouble they obviously are legal...

I don't really follow the logic here. :dunno: Nearly all criminals will make some effort to conceal the fact that they are carrying until they decide to act.

It's the open carriers that don't worry me.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I don't really follow the logic here. :dunno: Nearly all criminals will make some effort to conceal the fact that they are carrying until they decide to act.

i was thinking the zact same thing!

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I sometimes try to see if anyone I see is carrying, but so far I've never seen anyone that I could tell 100% was CCing.

... the logos on ball caps tip my attention!...

I kind of go by that a bit too. If someone has a gun related shirt/hat then I might look a little bit longer then normal.

Ditto for me.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I see almost a hundred different people every day at my work and I check often. When I do see it and they are mildly suspicious, I keep an eye on them because we have been robbed in the past at gunpoint. Otherwise I just move on.

pamchuck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Lanesville
    My job requires me to travel throughout southern Indiana and parts of Kentucky. I am in a lot of retail stores and I am always looking to see if I can spot someone. It's usually the belt clip for an IWB holster or something small like that. I tend to see more OC in Kentucky than Indiana for some reason.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yes, I glance at the hip of people often, to see if they are carrying. Usually it's just a silly phone holster.

I've spotted other OC'ers, and a couple CC'ers on occasion. Not often.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    I watch... It's part of the location scan, and as folks come and go from my position. I am with No2rdame, the saggers and the baggy hoodies that don't show their hands are the ones that set off alarms for me.....

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I find myself looking for the dumbazzes that think its cool to OC, and have their shirts tucked under the grip. I also find myself looking to see what kind of piece these people are carrying when I do notice. So far, Ive seen mostly glocks, XD's, and 1911's.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Wait, you started a conversation with someone in the bathroom, while you both were doing your business?

Yuck.
    Its better than complimenting his watch.... haha Thats always a go-to conversation starter!

I always keep an eye out for people carryin. I'm always just curious. Also since I always carry IWB and make a habit of being very concealed, I like to see if I can "catch" someone carrying that probably has the same mindset as me. its a little game I play in my head when i'm walking around. if the situation accomodates a conversation or a simple "glad to see you carrying" then better yet!

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville

Maybe I should clarify a bit. If someone is trying to properly conceal with a holster and appropriate clothing I don't take that much notice. Your average thug puts about two seconds of thought into concealing and usually just shoves the gun into his waistband. They'll try half-heartedly to conceal but they're likely much easier to spot than a proper citizen.

And you're right, the OC guys typically draw my interest only because I'm more interested in what model they're carrying than the fact that they are carrying.

Top Bottom