Do you hold grudges, or are you a forgive-and-forget person?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Culture is culture, but it is not "DNA." To suggest something is in your DNA is to suggest that it is something inherent that cannot be overcome. Which is, of course, bull****. I think some people (not talking about anyone specific) use "It's in my DNA" as a license to be an *******. And if you believe that you can't help the way you are due to your race/ethnicity, then it's a short trip to arrive at the conclusion that the same holds true for other races/ethnicity.

Short tempers and easily held grudges are no reason to thump your chest, and for those who believe, I doubt that the "DNA" excuse is gonna fly with St. Peter.

THANK YOU! If DNA is an excuse, then its an excuse for everything from murder to lying and cheating. Only the animals have DNA as an excuse. The ability to rise above our nature-- to reason, to ponder morality-- it what separates us from animals.

If you believe that "in my DNA" nonsense sincerely, you are basically saying you are no better than any random animal. I'm German. I'm stubborn. But it's not because I'm German, nor would it be acceptable if it was.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Culture is culture, but it is not "DNA." To suggest something is in your DNA is to suggest that it is something inherent that cannot be overcome. Which is, of course, bull****. I think some people (not talking about anyone specific) use "It's in my DNA" as a license to be an *******. And if you believe that you can't help the way you are due to your race/ethnicity, then it's a short trip to arrive at the conclusion that the same holds true for other races/ethnicity.

Short tempers and easily held grudges are no reason to thump your chest, and for those who believe, I doubt that the "DNA" excuse is gonna fly with St. Peter.
    :rolleyes:

You do realize people often use DNA metaphorically, right?

As in, "it's in our company's DNA."

AFIAK, don't you mock the concept of a St. Peter awaiting anyone?

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I'm 'bout to hold a grudge against a few members if you don't knock it off and get back on topic. And I'm part Cherokee injun. We got a lot to be bitter about.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    :rolleyes:

You do realize people often use DNA metaphorically, right?

As in, "it's in our company's DNA."

You calling me out for being pedantic? Oh, that's some Vermont maple syrup levels of rich.

:):

Sure, some people use "DNA" metaphorically. For example, the inability of Chrysler to build a decent transmission is in their DNA. (Hell, it must be)

Specifically mentioning race/ethnicity and linking it to your DNA as the cause of your behavior is clearly not a metaphor, though.

AFIAK, don't you mock the concept of a St. Peter awaiting anyone?

Yes. And? I never said that it influences my behavior. Just making an observation. Seems to me that some of the most virulent grudge-holding chest thumpers are also the most "fervent" followers of someone who preaches forgiveness.

Some of y'all are wrapped a little tight.

Can't help it. DNA. :):

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Dang it. I'm part Choctaw on my dad's side and Irish/German on my mother's side. There's just a hint of red hair to go with the red blood...the hubs says it works a little like someone coming with 'warning lables'.

I think you've got to forgive where you can, for your own peace of mind. Doesn't mean they get to come around you or your family again, just means you aren't carrying the weight of that stress. I've got a short list of people who I'd pour salt on their graves, but how quickly they get planted is up to their creator.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    OkieGirl: " but how quickly they get planted is up to their creator."

Good reminder. Glad God gets to decide this, we aren't really capable of deciding this correctly.

Had a very abusive narcissistic boss for several years. His biggest joy was to abuse people in front of others. Got my schadenfreude when he did the walk thru the office carrying everything in a cardboard box as he left....

Don

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Anyone claiming to believe in God or Christ who doesn't forgive someone who asks for it really should question what they believe.

You are not obliged to forgive someone who doesn't ask for it.

You had me till I read this. Can you explain this more? If one does not ask for forgiveness, I do not have to forgive them? Not sure if I buy into that without further understanding what you mean.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Last night I extracted some of my DNA, borrowed a buddy's high power electron microscope and found this image in a strand of my DNA...

D_iGTEeXoAAE9gl.jpg

Checkmate.....

Also, just curious, hasn't anyone ever heard "It's in my DNA" used in such a fashion...

"So you like brisket?"

"Yeah man...It's in my DNA lol..."

"What's with you and N frame Smith's dude?"

"It's in my DNA..."

The term is in common use to describe, in a jovial manner, something you feel deeply but that you can't define where it comes from....It's just there...

James Webb, author of "Born Fighting, How the Scots Irish shaped America, J D Vance's Hillbilly Elegy and numerous other papers, journals and books have often discussed the propensity for violence, revenge, and grudges that have followed the descendants of the "border ruffians" for generations, first to Ulster and then later into the new world...There are songs written about it.....Hundreds of year old songs....

I wear Orange on Saint Patrick's Day, much to my Catholic wife's chagrin....

I do have an autistic daughter so I am familiar with things taken "literally" but please keep in mind that now days the term "it's in my DNA" means something less scientific...

And that's all I got to say about that...

"[FONT=&amp]The Lowlands Scots and northern English became, under the influence of John Knox, Calvinists and Presbyterians. In the seventeenth century, many of these people migrated to Ireland, seeking to avoid persecution by the Church of England and also seeking better economic opportunity. But faced with continued persecution, these people, now known as the “Scots-Irish,” migrated again, this time to America.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]The Scots-Irish were certainly characterized by an intense loyalty to family and a concomitant distrust of anyone who wasn’t family. This characteristic no doubt arose, as Gladwell supposes, from the insecurity of their lives as herders.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]But they also evidenced other distinct characteristics. For example, a dislike of government (or, for that matter, anyone who wanted to tell them what to do), resulting from their conflict with the English crown and the Scottish and Irish Catholics over religion. In addition, they developed a stern independence of spirit and a stubborn pride in their religion and their manner of life. This inward turn might well have been precipitated by the constant turmoil that afflicted the borderlands between England and Scotland for many years.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Finally, the Scots-Irish had hair-triggers in the face of provocation, arising out of the need to react promptly and forcefully to attacks on their livestock. Interestingly, that made them useful soldiers when the American colonies revolted against England. In 1780 a Scots-Irish militia, the Overmountain Men, defeated the British at the Battle of King’s Mountain, an unexpected setback that forced the British army to abandon its southern campaign. This event might well have marked the turning point in the American revolution."

Pittsburgh Quarterly, on Hillbilly Elegy Part III[/FONT]

Last edited:

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    So I guess no one here sees the problem with expecting certain behavior based on race or ethnicity.

On a genetic level, no. On a cultural level, absolutely, and I've lived that, I've seen it, I've felt it, and I've grown and got past it.

Where and when I grew up, there were geographical enclaves and social circles that were very much ingrained in the race and ethnicity of the people who lived there. I'm not going to get into how prosperity and stagnation altered these territories, as it's well-established by others, but I will say that many things learned by the youth involved in these situations are deeply-held and not easily disestablished. They carry these sentiments forward with as much pride of heritage as they carry forth their grandmothers' recipes.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Last night I extracted some of my DNA, borrowed a buddy's high power electron microscope and found this image in a strand of my DNA...

D_iGTEeXoAAE9gl.jpg

You should be ashamed of that photograph, if that's in your heritage. His finger is DANGEROUSLY close to the trigger (even though it's outside the trigger guard) and is not pointing forward in an obvious and safety-conscious manner!

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    You should be ashamed of that photograph, if that's in your heritage. His finger is DANGEROUSLY close to the trigger (even though it's outside the trigger guard) and is not pointing forward in an obvious and safety-conscious manner!

Trigger finger + trigger = (scream!) gun + ammo = (scream like a little girl!) gun - safe = (scream like a Mom who needs some action! (who is also a little girl)). Seriously, I think some people in the "gun community" are afraid of guns.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Looks like time for me to leave this thread. I may need to research indiucky more to see if he might appear on a family feud list before backing him further. It sounds like he might be from a few hollers over though.

Top Bottom