• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Yeah. I just don’t really shoot them. You will most likely see them in the Classys here in the next few weeks. I most likely will wait till after Xmas or might even look at trading with my lgs. Will see.

Xdm 4.5 9mm that Springfield custom did some carry package to when I first bought it. Also have a full size Xdm 10mm with milled slide from powder customs. Never really shot that one, maybe 20 rounds or so. Have a shield 2.0 but pretty sure that won’t fetch enough to be worth it.

Big question is do I buy the Legion in 10mm or just dump the gun and the ammo at once.

I was really wanting a 10mm Legion but the prices shot up so high, I just can’t bring myself to spend nice 1911 money on a very nice, but production level gun. Now, having said that, the M&P 10 that I bought to scratch that itch is nice, but I haven’t fallen in love with the thing and have considered letting it go

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It's easier on guys like me that have a very modest number of firearms. I went through about a two year spree of buying and selling. I treated it as a tune-up to end up with what is optimum for me.

I have a few safe queens and I am happy to leave them there. They are firearms that appreciate in value and I still get them out occasionally.

But I am at the point that I don't plan on selling anything. If I did, it would leave a "hole" in my firearms and intended uses.

And unless I get hog wild in one of the shooting sports, I can at least enter a match(matches that I would have interest in... no interest in long range stuff or CASS) with what I have

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    @chef1231
    I understand your dilemma. Some will say “never sell” but I simply can’t afford that lifestyle. Interests and needs change and sometimes we want new or different things. The money has to come from somewhere and I’m not going to take it out of the family budget and I’m not going to take on debt.

Recently I sold an AR and funded a prioritized list of gun stuff I wanted to do:
    1. Update a sentimental 1911 I inherited
    2. Buy a .22 pistol for the family to learn to shoot on. Has to be lite enough for the kids, be red dot capable and have an ambidextrous 1911 style safety.
    3. I got the itch for a “wonder nine” as I didn’t have one, specifically a CZ.

I really liked the AR and it was a fantastic shooter but it no longer filled my interests. It was a heavy barreled AR that I had originally set up for coyote hunting. I no longer coyote hunt. It’s not a home defense gun. If I want to shoot precision on the range, I choose a bolt gun. If I want to throw lead at the range I choose something else. I loved the gun but hadn’t shot it in years and didn’t foresee myself shooting it again.

I got a good return on what I paid for it and that helped fund the upgrades to the 1911, buy a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 lite for the family, a Holosun for the Ruger Mark IV and a CZ P-01. I think I did pretty good! I was sad to see the AR go, but what I gained from the funds far outweighs the loss.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    @chef1231
    I understand your dilemma. Some will say “never sell” but I simply can’t afford that lifestyle. Interests and needs change and sometimes we want new or different things. The money has to come from somewhere and I’m not going to take it out of the family budget and I’m not going to take on debt.

Recently I sold an AR and funded a prioritized list of gun stuff I wanted to do:
    1. Update a sentimental 1911 I inherited
    2. Buy a .22 pistol for the family to learn to shoot on. Has to be lite enough for the kids, be red dot capable and have an ambidextrous 1911 style safety.
    3. I got the itch for a “wonder nine” as I didn’t have one, specifically a CZ.

I really liked the AR and it was a fantastic shooter but it no longer filled my interests. It was a heavy barreled AR that I had originally set up for coyote hunting. I no longer coyote hunt. It’s not a home defense gun. If I want to shoot precision on the range, I choose a bolt gun. If I want to throw lead at the range I choose something else. I loved the gun but hadn’t shot it in years and didn’t foresee myself shooting it again.

I got a good return on what I paid for it and that helped fund the upgrades to the 1911, buy a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 lite for the family, a Holosun for the Ruger Mark IV and a CZ P-01. I think I did pretty good! I was sad to see the AR go, but what I gained from the funds far outweighs the loss.
    I recently picked up a .22 pistol and mounted a red dot on it. I have grandkids that are not too far away from learning how to shoot plus my wife goes with me occasionally and she is strictly .22.

A side effect is that I really like shooting that .22 pistol. So much that I may try that Rimfire Falling Steel next year and maybe some Steel Challenge.

I'm in your boat with finances. I have a gun budget. If I want something new I either sell a gun or I sell some other possession of mine (old computer, car parts, collectable, etc.) to fund it. I don't take from the general fund as I am looking at retirement in several years and my wife and I are already making adjustments to our spending so we are more ready when the time comes.

And I sold my AR's quite some time ago unless you count my M&P 15-22. :)

One area I do take from our general funds is ammo purchases.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    @chef1231 - we need to get to the range.

Some guns lose value so much you might as well keep them, unless you just need the room.

Some guns may have more utility than others.

I've purchased some guns because they were interesting and wanted to try them. Some were disappointing or didn't fill the niche I thought they would. The disappointing ones got moved in pretty quick so I could try something else.

Which ones will you miss when you open the safe? Keepers.

If you do an inventory are there any you don't even remember? Possible sale items.

Many folks hang into guns for sentimental reasons or because of their history.

It's a very personal choice. I Iiked the suggestion by @MCgrease08, nice way to evaluate the value to YOU that a gun has NOW.

If you do sell some, I think folks who have enriched your professional life should get dibs. :yesway:
    Yes. We do. I work a lot closer now too. Lol

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The other question is how many backups do you have?

Would you be OK if some strange thing happened like having to actually use your EDC in a self defense situation? These days, I think it would be rare if your pistol was not required confiscated?

Similarly, a theft or even a vehicle accident could have your firearms going to a police property room that sometimes don't readily return them?

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    For me the rules are if it's needed for money, get rid of the most outlandish thing that isn't practical first and go from there.

If it isn't needed for money it depends on the firearm. Is it something I bought at a FFL and have a 4473 with my name on it? If yes, it depends still, but if it's something like an AR that they're constantly coming for I'd most likely only get rid of it to a FFL to get a paper trail of it leaving.

Is the firearm something commonly talked about being banned? And that was bought in a face to face legal private sale? Selling is a bad idea if that's the case, private or FFL transfer. I'd rather keep it and throw it off the boat myself should they become banned.

All that said, I don't have any ARs or 'assault weapons' that I bought from private sales. I had one that I bought at a FFL recently but can't sell it because I lost it in a kayaking accident.

WillH

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2022
    Fort Wayne
    For years I’ve sold guns that I didn’t really use that much in order to buy others. Mostly because I needed to in order to afford the newer gun. I’ve told myself not to do it anymore. Yet, here I am. I do not need to sell them for the money to buy other guns but.. since I really don’t take them to the range, should I sell them? I recently picked up the P229 Legion and well, love it. Do I start replacing the Springfields with Sigs? I can’t be the only one battling this.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with clearing out space in your safe, especially if you plan to replace it with something else. Otherwise, you just have guns collecting dust while they could be being shot/enjoyed in someone else's hands.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've been considering selling off some of the stuff I don't shoot that often. I recently bought a project truck for a great price, but the parts and repairs on it are starting to add up quick and there is still more stuff to do.

I'd rather have the cash for that project than guns sitting in the safe that rarely get shot.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've been considering selling off some of the stuff I don't shoot that often. I recently bought a project truck for a great price, but the parts and repairs on it are starting to add up quick and there is still more stuff to do.

I'd rather have the cash for that project than guns sitting in the safe that rarely get shot.
    I have a similar situation with a older Jeep I bought. But so far I am okay with waiting until the budget "resets" and then buying some parts.

Until recently I had plenty to do without spending money, but I am getting to where I need to spend some to be able to continue.

At the very least I need to replace the cleaner in my parts washer. Then I can start tearing into the throttle body/intake manifold, etc. for cleaning.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I have bought and sold a large amount of firearms in my life, it allowed me to “rent” those guns to experience a lot of what the industry has to offer. Overtime I learned what I like, and what I don’t. If there’s something I won’t be using, AND it doesn’t have collector value, I’ll move it.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I have bought and sold a large amount of firearms in my life, it allowed me to “rent” those guns to experience a lot of what the industry has to offer. Overtime I learned what I like, and what I don’t. If there’s something I won’t be using, AND it doesn’t have collector value, I’ll move it.
    What’s a collector? If we could know we would all be better off. While not collectibles who knew 69.00 dollar sks’s would be the price they are today. Or MN’s for that matter. How about the 139.00 dollar cheap handi-rifle that now brings almost 2 or 3 times that amount.

A lot of Smith and Colts revolvers were bought as EDC at the time. Today these are very desirable as collectibles.

Dont get me wrong I’m not arguing just giving a prospective.

I think act. nailed it. They don’t go bad. Do you dabble in the stock market? Do you invest? Cash devalues, things with intrinsic value hold or rise in value. Land, gold, guns. It’s a very poor firearm that looses value given enough time. My :twocents: only. As stated YMMV.

Hawkj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2022
    Westpoint, IN
    Like others I’ve sold some I regret and even tried to buy one back. I’ve also sold some to buy higher quality ones or to upgrade optics on others. I’ve got a few that really mean something to me. Also if they aren’t reliable I’m getting rid of them.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    What’s a collector? If we could know we would all be better off. While not collectibles who knew 69.00 dollar sks’s would be the price they are today. Or MN’s for that matter. How about the 139.00 dollar cheap handi-rifle that now brings almost 2 or 3 times that amount.

A lot of Smith and Colts revolvers were bought as EDC at the time. Today these are very desirable as collectibles.

Dont get me wrong I’m not arguing just giving a prospective.

I think act. nailed it. They don’t go bad. Do you dabble in the stock market? Do you invest? Cash devalues, things with intrinsic value hold or rise in value. Land, gold, guns. It’s a very poor firearm that looses value given enough time. My :twocents: only. As stated YMMV.
    Agreed. But a first Gen M&P Shield, a 1st Gen M&P9, or 3rd Gen Glock 19, etc don’t appreciate all that well.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. I sold a 1911 because it was too pretty, I didnt carry it, and I was always worried about an idiot scratch or other wear. She was a safe queen.
    I sold it to fund a new PCC that goes to the range almost every trip.

So sometimes selling is good.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I do admire folks that collect guns as a hobby. It's always fun to visit someone and be shown a well outfitted collection. That's really not me though. I like to shoot a variety of guns and when the joy of shooting something is gone for a couple of years, the gun tends to go too.

I used to have a decent Mosin collection. I reloaded for them and it was always fun to shop the Mosin racks at Brad's. Then I moved on and all but my favorite of them were sold, or in some cases given as birthday presents to family members. Same for other guns as well.

Top Bottom