• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Got my survey for this past deer season. They had a portion for lifetime license and if they bring it back. They even had a price. Over 3k! Who can drop that kinda money at this time? Leave it to the state to make things unaffordable again.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Got my survey for this past deer season. They had a portion for lifetime license and if they bring it back. They even had a price. Over 3k! Who can drop that kinda money at this time? Leave it to the state to make things unaffordable again.
    Geez.

That's what 3 times it was before.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Yea. I let them know in the comments section how ridiculous it was. At this point it would only pay off for my kids. If they hunted every year for ever. But then who can just drop that kinda money

I paid 1100 for a lifetime in 1998 (I think). That's a fortune for an 18 year old kid, but its paid for itself with ease in terms of money, and hassle. As of now I'm at 44 dollars a year, and I have another 25-30 years of hunting left in me (god willing).

There are a lot of things that have tripled in price in the last 25 years. At 42 years old, it probably wouldn't make sense, but at 30 or under its a good investment. I cant explain how much easier it is not to have to worry about buying licenses online, forgetting until the night before a hunt, etc.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I paid 1100 for a lifetime in 1998 (I think). That's a fortune for an 18 year old kid, but its paid for itself with ease in terms of money, and hassle. As of now I'm at 44 dollars a year, and I have another 25-30 years of hunting left in me (god willing).

There are a lot of things that have tripled in price in the last 25 years. At 42 years old, it probably wouldn't make sense, but at 30 or under its a good investment. I cant explain how much easier it is not to have to worry about buying licenses online, forgetting until the night before a hunt, etc.
    I see it paying for itself as a younger man. But even at 38 with 5 kids. Over 3k is too much to drop on it. I could justify the 1100.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeeah. about that. at $3k, it would take 33 years to break even on the license bundle (up to 3 deer) . So that lifetime had better be a lifetime of ALL tags. (firearm, crossbow, BP, archery, etc)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Yeeah. about that. at $3k, it would take 33 years to break even on the license bundle (up to 3 deer) . So that lifetime had better be a lifetime of ALL tags. (firearm, crossbow, BP, archery, etc)

Small game, waterfowl, turkey, furbearer's are all included in the lifetime.

3 deer bundle=91
    2x turkey seasons=64
    Waterfowl=22
    Trapping=20
    Small game=32.

For me that's 229 per year in licenses. I guess the license paid for itself faster than I thought. The great thing about my lifetime is, I had no clue what tags cost, I didnt have to look.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Small game, waterfowl, turkey, furbearer's are all included in the lifetime.

3 deer bundle=91
    2x turkey seasons=64
    Waterfowl=22
    Trapping=20
    Small game=32.

For me that's 229 per year in licenses. I guess the license paid for itself faster than I thought. The great thing about my lifetime is, I had no clue what tags cost, I didnt have to look.
    Yea looks like would take me about 15 years for it to pay off. Be nice if the state would think, hey times are tough. Let's make this more affordable for our citizens

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Yea looks like would take me about 15 years for it to pay off. Be nice if the state would think, hey times are tough. Let's make this more affordable for our citizens

I think the state looks at this as its losing money to do us a favor, not the other way around. If I hunt to 70, assuming fees dont go up, the state will lose 7-8k on me alone.

I had to throw a lot of hay bales at 18 to come up with 1100 bucks, But I specifically remember going to buy license's my first year that I no longer qualified for youth, and remember what ever I was buying was going to be 52 dollars (I didn't hunt waterfowl or turkey back then, so it was probably just deer, and small game) and said no way, give me the 1100 dollar lifetime. It was one of my brighter decision's.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    I've got mine. comprehensive hunting/fishing. Had it a long time. Spent a big chunk for a guy with a wife and two babies. Saved a lot in hassle and money for over two decades now.

3k is a lot. License fees will go up over the next 20 years. it is a 20 year commitment and the sale of the LL is not for the older among us in terms of payback. It is a way for IDNR to raise big funds quickly. If it is offered, it will be for a limited time, and they will sell some. They will be sold to guys/gals that $3,000 comes easier to. They will be sold to the grandparents or parents of, and for, the younger outdoor-person. Some may even be sold to guys of my age or older that just have the money and want to give back to continue to support the outdoor experience they were blessed to have.

I'd like to see LL offered at a price that benefits the overall wellbeing of the continuing outdoor experience. I hope someone smarter than me will figure out that price point. And I hope they sell a crap-ton of them.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I've got mine. comprehensive hunting/fishing. Had it a long time. Spent a big chunk for a guy with a wife and two babies. Saved a lot in hassle and money for over two decades now.

3k is a lot. License fees will go up over the next 20 years. it is a 20 year commitment and the sale of the LL is not for the older among us in terms of payback. It is a way for IDNR to raise big funds quickly. If it is offered, it will be for a limited time, and they will sell some. They will be sold to guys/gals that $3,000 comes easier to. They will be sold to the grandparents or parents of, and for, the younger outdoor-person. Some may even be sold to guys of my age or older that just have the money and want to give back to continue to support the outdoor experience they were blessed to have.

I'd like to see LL offered at a price that benefits the overall wellbeing of the continuing outdoor experience. I hope someone smarter than me will figure out that price point. And I hope they sell a crap-ton of them.
    Sitting here thinking that would be worth it for a 18 year old kid. But 3k is a chunk and its sad that the state seems to think its not. Just like they didn't see raising the license this year so drastically was a big deal. Its a rough time for money for everyone except the state govt.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Be nice if there was things to go with the license. Like if ya could pass it on to a family member or someone when ya pass.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I see it paying for itself as a younger man. But even at 38 with 5 kids. Over 3k is too much to drop on it. I could justify the 1100.

Same.The combined fish/hunt lifetime was over $7k! Agreed with others, just not economical for my age.

I did leave them some scores/comments that reflect the tags and herd numbers. I don't care what it looks like to insurance agents, we keep tagging 3+/year there won't be many left for our kids and grandkids to hunt. My 2¢>

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I'm taking the survey right now, and the question for Comprehensive Lifetime Sportsperson license has a price tag of $7029!!!

HAIL NO!

-just saw @Ruger_Ronin post, and seems like we are in agreement.
    I have a lifetime comprehensive license, but would buy one for my son if the price was reasonable.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wish there was a section in the survey to allow the customer (us) to see the complete budget breakdown of the DNR. Plus a place to give our :twocents: on that!

It's difficult for me to grasp the proposed price increase to what I paid $700 for 30ish years ago. :n00b:

Kinda takes the idea of gifting my grandkids lifetime licenses totally out of consideration. :xmad:

1675366123160.png

Top Bottom