• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Two biggies - .410 , #9 TSS shot for turkey hunting and breech loading "muzzleloaders"

FROM THE DNR...

We want to hear from you!

Public comments are being accepted on proposed rule changes that govern equipment for turkey hunting (includes adding the .410 and #9 TSS shot), muzzleloaders for deer hunting (to allow powder to be loaded from the breech end), and the beaver trapping season (removes starting and ending times). You can submit comments online at www.in.gov/nrc/2377.htm using the “Comment on this rule” link in the Rules Docket for the FW Deer and Turkey Hunting Equipment Amendments.

The deadline for public comments is February 12, 2021 at 11:59 pm. The list of proposed amendments with additional information about each proposal is at: wildlife.IN.gov/2362.htm .

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Sounds like someone's kid wants to hunt turkey with a .410 and someone else got a new toy for Christmas that they want to claim is a muzzleloader.....

Dirty Steve

INgunner54

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    Can we please get the private land calibers added to public land?
    I'm conflicted about this one. While I'd support most being safe with using rifles I've met a few not so thoughtful sportsmen that could put others in danger. Most of our public lands in Indiana are not very large swaths of land like you see out west. I'd still support legislation to pass it but it would make me leery being in the deer woods with some folks I've seen.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I see no reason why someone couldn't hunt from the back of a vehicle while parked on private land. Think of a portable deer stand, they are popular in Texas. There's a lot of places I hunt at night where hunting from the bed of my truck would be just as easy, if not easier, than walking 15 yards away.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Actually removing the dates for beaver trapping would be good for land owners.

Bad for my son in law who has a nuisance trappers license and has no limits.

INgunner54

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    I see no reason why someone couldn't hunt from the back of a vehicle while parked on private land. Think of a portable deer stand, they are popular in Texas. There's a lot of places I hunt at night where hunting from the bed of my truck would be just as easy, if not easier, than walking 15 yards away.
    I think it may be opening a can of worms to provide not much benefit. That's just my opinion

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I think it may be opening a can of worms to provide not much benefit. That's just my opinion

I'm on the fence on this issue. So for sake of my education. Can you elaborate?

I feel, on the surface, rookie made a valid point.

Can you articulate your position?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

I guess it depends on how and where you hunt. There are quite a few places that require walking 1,000-1,500 yards in order to get within range of the woods. So, 1,000 yards there and back is over a mile. A mile walking that could be spent hunting instead. There are other places that being elevated could open up a lot more area to see and shoot. As far as opening a can of worms, I think that's a ridiculous reason. Why? I hunt exclusively at night in the middle of nowhere. If I wanted to, I could easily ignore the law and I would never be caught. What stops me? A stupid law that someone who decided it would open a can of worms.

Last edited:

INgunner54

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    I guess it depends on how and where you hunt. There are quite a few places that require walking 1,000-1,500 yards in order to get within range of the woods. So, 1,000 yards there and back is over a mile. A mile walking that could be spent hunting instead. There are other places that being elevated could open up a lot more area to see and shoot. As far as opening a can of worms, I think that's a ridiculous reason. Why? I hunt exclusively at night in the middle of nowhere. If I wanted to, I could easily ignore the law and I would never be caught. What stops me? A stupid law that someone who decided it would open a can of worms.
    Didn't mean any offense. My thinking is that you would have people shooting from a moving vehicle and would have a defense in court against it. But maybe that's the wrong way to look at it. People that are going g to break the law will do it regardless. Like I said it's just my opinion, nothing more.
    As far as having to walk a ways to and from the hunting spot, I think that's part of the fun. I get that I may not feel that way as I get older but right now I don't mind the walk, and think that's part of the fun of getting out. I've had plenty of luck over the years shooting stuff on the way to or from a spot. Are we talking just for varmints and predators or everything?

INgunner54

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    Gotcha. I understand your argument more now about hunting coyotes and such at night it really doesn't make much of a difference.

pappyon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2020
    i always thought you could shoot from your truck provided it was off the road..and not moving like duck hunting from a boat

Top Bottom