• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    :dunno: Isn't that what you have? And maybe I misunderstood. I thought that railroad was across the road from your property. Are you saying it runs through your property? That changes things if so.

The corner of the house and all the driveway is in the ROW. If they'd condemn the whole property and give me what it's worth, I might think about it. But this halfway, no taking responsibility song and dance isn't working out.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The corner of the house and all the driveway is in the ROW. If they'd condemn the whole property and give me what it's worth, I might think about it. But this halfway, no taking responsibility song and dance isn't working out.
    Oh okay, I totally misunderstood then. I was picturing it across the road from you. I don't blame you for being pissed!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That does explain a lot. No one wants to be a neighbor or care anything about their property anymore. Everyone just packed up and left and is biding their time for when they can cash in.

Follow the $$$$$$

The section 8 tenants around here will get he full intended benefit.

:facepalm:
    Well. Think of the section 8 high rise as a tide. You know. That lifts all boats.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    One thing is exactly similar, the NIMBY’s say exactly the same thing today that was said twenty years ago. They were wrong then, will they be now?
    Building more trails is a viable solution when the problem is a lack of trails. Building more trails is a foolhardy solution when trails already exist that are not being used. That a hammer solves the problem of driving a nail does not mean that every problem is a nail.

Will those promoting such solutions admit that the people not using the current trails didn't use the new ones either? Even if they did, would it even matter after the money is spent and the backyards are already trampled?

And who is the real NIMBY? The ones who always have "brilliant ideas" for other people's backyards or the ones that complain when their backyards are trampled? It's funny how those that generate such "brilliant ideas" usually insist on trying them in someone else's yard.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Building more trails is a viable solution when the problem is a lack of trails. Building more trails is a foolhardy solution when trails already exist that are not being used. That a hammer solves the problem of driving a nail does not mean that every problem is a nail.

Will those promoting such solutions admit that the people not using the current trails didn't use the new ones either? Even if they did, would it even matter after the money is spent and the backyards are already trampled?

And who is the real NIMBY? The ones who always have "brilliant ideas" for other people's backyards or the ones that complain when their backyards are trampled? It's funny how those that generate such "brilliant ideas" usually insist on trying them in someone else's yard.
    The trails you cite are just not the same. The Monon is a linear park that the end goal is to run many miles. These trails support walking, running, paved cycling, rollerblading, handicap use, and traveling distance. Not the same as the parks you cite. They give the people nearby a place to regularly exercise off the roadway without the texting crazies. They are a far safer place to do these activities than the roadway.

A lot of generalizations going on about those that support trails and their use. Funny how proximity to trails is a selling feature for sellers selling homes and they do that because buyers have proven they will pay more to be near a multi-use trail.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I believe the long term goal is for the trail to run from the Ohio river to Chicago.
    How many citizens' property rights will need to be violated for that? for a ****ing bike trail. That's one of those things I can see people saying, ya know, that sounds kinda nice, but then don't consider the cost / benefit much beyond that.

Oh. But tides. And boats.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Some trails are used a lot. Some are rarely used. But even for the rarely used ones, there's gonna be someone along to conjure some justification. But anyway, you make a good case for calling the trail do-gooders, something like a Karen. So maybe Beatrice? Yeah. Beatrice likes spending other people's money to take other people's property, just because she thinks it'd be grand to make a bike trail across the state.

And why stop there? Why not the whole country?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    How many citizens' property rights will need to be violated for that? for a ****ing bike trail. That's one of those things I can see people saying, ya know, that sounds kinda nice, but then don't consider the cost / benefit much beyond that.

Oh. But tides. And boats.
    It was long ago made a transportation corridor and is simply transitioning to a different type of transportation corridor. Very few folks rights rights are being violated. The owners that the RR got the ROW are long dead and most current owners never had that property, have not owned the land that long, and purchased it without the ROW. Just who is losing rights.

Sounds like some are trying to get what was never theirs…

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It was long ago made a transportation corridor and is simply transitioning to a different type of transportation corridor. Very few folks rights rights are being violated. The owners that the RR got the ROW are long dead and most current owners never had that property, have not owned the land that long, and purchased it without the ROW. Just who is losing rights.

Sounds like some are trying to get what was never theirs…
    That's a fair point. It's likely not a lot of people who still might have rights to that land. Is it non-zero?

Also. How much will that cost to go border to border? How about this? You want it? You pay for it. How is that a benefit that outweighs the cost? Because you like the idea of having a bike path traverse the state? I'd rather let property owners be able to regain or acquire the rights to the land from the RR. Then let them do with the property whatever they want.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Also. How much will that cost to go border to border? How about this? You want it? You pay for it. How is that a benefit that outweighs the cost? Because you like the idea of having a bike path traverse the state?
    This is a minimum 50 year project. To offer opportunities for all to have outdoor access seems a reasonable thing for government to do.

Top Bottom