• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have been having these discussions with trail NIMBY’s for over 25 years and have never once seen their fears borne out.
    Just to be clear, and I get that this post wasn’t directed at me. Just want to reiterate that my involvement in this discussion is not NIMBY. I don’t mind if there’s a recreational trail near my property as long as there’s a decent buffer and appropriate obstacles to discourage trespassing.

My points are mostly about using the power of the state for trivial things like recreational trails. These things should be funded by the people who want them. And land acquired through donations/negotiations.

As far as not seeing any of the “fears” borne out. Just a cursory google search brings up incidents in the **** hole areas. Some roberies. Assaults. Etcetera. Nothing major.

I’m not sure which trails ancjr is referencing in the Louisville area. There is a trail going along the river that goes through the Portland neighborhood. Ain’t nobody moving to Portland because of the trail. In fact, I rarely see anyone using that trail. You can see it from I64. But that’s urban.

The only rural trails I know of in the area is Parklands of Floyd’s Fork. Which is the trail system I mentioned a few times earlier. Incidents there are rare. It’s a really nice resource. Very nice. Real toilets that flush along the main path. Well maintained.

It’s construction and current maintenance was funded 100% through donations. Zero land was acquired through eminent domain. Much of the property was donated by the land owners. Turns out when you tell people they get to have their grandkids’ names on stuff around the park, old people are happy to donate stuff.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Maybe you need to get out more. They built the trail in Indy, then some entrepreneurs said let’s brew beer in that derelict old building near the trail, then folks said the homes here are cheap and we can fix them up. Like magic in dozens of neighborhoods in Indy.

The bad neighborhoods between Broad Ripple and downtown are all better than when the trails were put in. Many similar neighborhoods did not get better. Homes for sale or lease within 2-3 miles away still promote access to the Monon trail, guess they are all a part of the schtick…
    Yeah. Let’s see that happen in Portland neighborhood in Louisville. :lmfao:

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yeah. Let’s see that happen in Portland neighborhood in Louisville. :lmfao:
    The pattern I cited has been duplicated across the country. That some neighborhoods do not revitalize is not surprising. No one said that they were a panacea, but the mayhem and crime some point out is also not the rule.

So no local, state or national parks? Only private parks? Just can’t go there with you…

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The pattern I cited has been duplicated across the country. That some neighborhoods do not revitalize is not surprising. No one said that they were a panacea, but the mayhem and crime some point out is also not the rule.

So no local, state or national parks? Only private parks? Just can’t go there with you…
    No local, state, or national parks by forcibly taking land from people, is what he’s saying. Using the government to take what somebody else owns so others can enjoy some benefit is theft. To the extent it has to be used it must be minimized because the longer the chain we give the government the more authority they think they have and it makes it easier for them to go after the next thing.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I’m skeptical. I don’t doubt you believe it. And maybe your experience is in an exceptional place. But I do think that’s the exception and not the rule. Gentrification isn’t working out like they thought it would. And I really don’t see this as any different from the same flawed notion.

Ain’t nobody want to move to a **** hole just because someone built a trail through it.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No local, state, or national parks by forcibly taking land from people, is what he’s saying. Using the government to take what somebody else owns so others can enjoy some benefit is theft. To the extent it has to be used it must be minimized because the longer the chain we give the government the more authority they think they have and it makes it easier for them to go after the next thing.
    And obviously there are citizens eager to give government a longer leash, or just remove the collar altogether.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I didn’t address this part. No. I didn’t say this. But I do have problems with it when you take away what someone else owns so that you can use it for your purpose.

Parklands is not operated as a private park. The Parks department maintains it. The police patrol it. It operates as any other municipal park. There are no fees to use it. The expenses for running the park aren’t paid by municipal coffers. They’re paid by a trust established by the foundation that owns the property. And again, none of the property had to be taken away from their owners.

Even though a rural area the park is primarily located in an affluent area. Plenty of rich people ready to die and put their namesake on stuff. I’m not sure how well that model would work in an urban **** hole.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    No trails around here, but there's a railroad south of me a ways that isn't used much. Maybe someday the development urges of the state will overcome the banjo music, but today is not that day.;) deliverance.jpg

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Just think if the 30 million dollars would have been spent instead in improving the lives of the people that are being mocked by some in this thread. There is a very specific case near me of a person literally begging door to door for help.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I’m skeptical. I don’t doubt you believe it. And maybe your experience is in an exceptional place. But I do think that’s the exception and not the rule. Gentrification isn’t working out like they thought it would. And I really don’t see this as any different from the same flawed notion.

Ain’t nobody want to move to a **** hole just because someone built a trail through it.
    I am sharing what I personally have wittinessed in Indy and from the research that was done by many. I have heard all the gloom and doom from so many over the years but never saw that come to fruition. I get it that if it is a bad area a trail itself does not make its better place overnight, but now that the Monon is over twenty years old we have 20/20 hindsight and it is not what so many feared.

But remember I am a liar, at least that is what I read on INGO…

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I am sharing what I personally have wittinessed in Indy and from the research that was done by many. I have heard all the gloom and doom from so many over the years but never saw that come to fruition. I get it that if it is a bad area a trail itself does not make its better place overnight, but now that the Monon is over twenty years old we have 20/20 hindsight and it is not what so many feared.

But remember I am a liar, at least that is what I read on INGO…

Take your ball and go home.

n9tkf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2018
    Just before the earth ends.
    From what I have read from the STB (Surface Transportation Board) filings in 2010 CSX, the owner of the old Monon Line applied for discontinuance of service not abandonment and was granted such with the understanding that the tracks would remain. I couldn't find anymore filings more recent than this but there may be more. Docket number AB-55_698x. Decision on 4-7-2010.

If this is the case then CSX would still have a right of way and could choose to railbank it or sell it to a bidder to continue service??

Are the tracks still on the rail line?

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    From what I have read from the STB (Surface Transportation Board) filings in 2010 CSX, the owner of the old Monon Line applied for discontinuance of service not abandonment and was granted such with the understanding that the tracks would remain. I couldn't find anymore filings more recent than this but there may be more. Docket number AB-55_698x. Decision on 4-7-2010.

If this is the case then CSX would still have a right of way and could choose to railbank it or sell it to a bidder to continue service??

Are the tracks still on the rail line?

The rails are mostly intact, but would need extensive work and even replacement in several areas that have completely washed out.

CSX and the trail operator are currently negotiating a price, with a deadline of some time in Febuary.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Like the once proposed Anderson Reservoir putting the mall area under water.
    The dreams of waterfront businesses and Mc'Manisons all around it.
    With all of them having ghetto streets behind them like Ohio st.

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Like the once proposed Anderson Reservoir putting the mall area under water.
    The dreams of waterfront businesses and Mc'Manisons all around it.
    With all of them having ghetto streets behind them like Ohio st.

Jeffersonville needed to upgrade its drainage system with drainage ditches... the mayor at the time deemed them canals and had the idea of turning it into a mini Venice complete with gondolas and little shops.

Jefferson-Canal-District-Master-Plan-2.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom