• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RSPhotoIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Avon
    I alluded to this in my welcome message. If this is an improper instruction to include in this forum section, please delete.

I have used this "formula", scraped together from multiple online sources, to reload several hundred SMALL PISTOL Primers when they were unavailable during "the pandemic". I have no experience or data with other size primers. Unlike real primer chemicals, these components are relatively safe to handle at home.

Performance disclaimer: As the main explosive component is engineered and manufactured for children's toys, so you will have to accept a relatively high rate of misfires (~5+%). I obviously DO NOT RECOMMEND for defense loads!! Also - this process is EXTREMELY slow, and labor-intensive. Don't do it, if you can get primers! But, if the need ever arises, here you go...

Components and tools:
    - Legends Roll Caps - they must be the German version, not the USA version, as the USA dots will be too big. I purchased online from Wild West Toys.
    - 1/8" Hole Punch (Fiskars at craft store or Amazon)
    - 9/64" steel rod (Amazon: "Utoolmart 9/64" Dia Round Tip Steel Straight Ejector Pin Punch")
    - 90% isopropyl alcohol from the drug store

Instructions:
    1. Remove anvils from primer cups with a dental tool
    2. Clean anvils and cups with water and a generous amount of Lemi Shine. Rinse and dry quickly and completely to prevent corrosion.
    3. Use a hole punch to cut the center dot out of the roll caps. (Warning, every once in a while you WILL fire a cap - be prepared.)
    4. Place a 9/64" steel rod or the back end of a drillbit into the empty primer cup and tap lightly with a hammer on a flat hard metal surface to peen the dent out of the primer cup. (Basically flatten the inside of the cup - a dent may still remain on the outside...)
    5. Place 1 (or 2 - I found that there were no more misfires in loads with 1 cap versus loads with 2 caps) punched cap(s) into the cup. (I place it so the thinner paper side will be against the anvil.
    6. Place a drop of 90% isopropyl alcohol in the primer cup with the cap. (This will reduce the likelihood of firing the cap when pressing in the anvil.)
    7. Set an anvil in the cup - point down
    8. Press the anvil into place with a metal bar or with flat pliers.
    9. Allow the alcohol to dry fully (overnight?).
    10. DONE!

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Very interesting. Don’t know if it would help with misfires, but you could get a small bottle of Everclear at the liquor store and use that instead of the isopropyl alcohol to minimize the amount of water added. Everclear’s 95% alcohol.

RSPhotoIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Avon
    Very interesting. Don’t know if it would help with misfires, but you could get a small bottle of Everclear at the liquor store and use that instead of the isopropyl alcohol to minimize the amount of water added. Everclear’s 95% alcohol.
    And add it to some Coke to stay hydrated while you're working!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    Everclear would be better than isopropyl alcohol because when you figure out, you're wasting your time you can drink it and get real drunk fast.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom