• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If you're looking at buying a charging handle, you may want to try this before spending the $20+ on a new one.

Items Needed:
    1 spent .40sw or larger casing
    JB Weld
    1 stock 10/22 charging handle.

How to do it:
    1. Disasseble your 10/22 & remove the charging handle assembly.
    2. Clean & degrease it. Scuff up the handle portion a little so the JBWeld will adhere a little better.
    3. Clean up your casing, I used a Nickel .40sw case from a JHP.
    4. Take some painters tape & wrap just below the handle. Between the handle & the rod/spring.
    5. Mix up a little JB Weld & fill up your .40sw case almost full.
    6. Dunk the handle into the casing. Prop it so that the handle is perpendicular to the casing (L shaped).

Let it dry overnight. Remove the tape & use a small file to clean up any JB Weld or to smooth the transition from casing to handle.

Original Handle

Finished Handle

Side by Sides

To anyone who wants to criticize, go buy one. :)

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Hey that's cool.

I think I'll stick with the stock charging handle, but I do plan to make a DIY mag release lever.

My 10/22 still has all the stock parts and I've always thought about drilling and tapping a hole in the stock mag release button and adding a screw or pin.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Hey that's cool.

I think I'll stick with the stock charging handle, but I do plan to make a DIY mag release lever.

My 10/22 still has all the stock parts and I've always thought about drilling and tapping a hole in the stock mag release button and adding a screw or pin.

His ideal is simple and should work great. I have seen it on a few other forums. I need a longer handle and I might just do it. You could also make it a little more grippier(not a word I know) by putting a peice if shrink tubing on it. Make it color you like.

On the mag release, I have seen guys drill and tap and use a nylon stand off with a screw threw the center. It works well. both ideals are great DIY projects!

Top Bottom