• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    That is incorrect!

A quick downing is way more humane than chasing a critters moving head or vitals around a cage. Even with a more lethal round, it's a roll of the dice how many shots it will take, especially after your first two or three torture the poor critter who was just doing what they do. Even varmints deserve more respect than that.

Drowning is quick, as the animal goes spastic when submerged. It is clean and safe for all involved.

Animals don't have the mental capacity that humans have to overthink this.

People apply human feelings to animals. it is strange.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Drowning works well. No mess. Very little fuss. As humane as any manner of forcing the life out of a critter. Seems cruel to some folks because the thought scares them. Coon ain't afraid of drowning. More afraid of you outside the trap.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    In a cage I use a Crossman pump pellet pistol (then again the pond beckons...or just time). At distance I use a Walther Force 1000 .177 magnum springer; it's taken ground hogs at 50 yds and there are no more squirrels at our bird feeders.

If you're going to kill it anyway why are you now squeamish about how? Que Monty Python skit...well yeah I was going to kill it but killing it like that is just not right :nailbite: nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean?

BoilerWes

Expert
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    $70 bucks should buy you a bulk pack or two of 22lr. I am betting you won’t kill that many critters the rest of your life just trapping around the chicken coop. Put barrel through cage and place at the base of said critters skull, dispatch with one round, and be done.

rugertoter

Master
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    This is the "airgun" thread, but seeing as though we are talking about dispatching critters....

When we used to live in Florida, kinda out in the boonies, I always used one of my 12 gauge shotguns to ghost Diamond Backs and Cotton Mouths. Using #4 shot, in the head region and close, just simply blew the neck and head portion right off.

Seems to me that it would do the same to a critter. Instant destruction and a very quick death. I have taken out troublesome animals, minimally, with my air rifles, but using them tended to not be as quick of a death as I would have preferred...just saying.

92FSTech

Expert
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I had to deal with a possum one time that was trying to dig holes in my roof. I shot him 5 times point blank in the head with a Daisy .22 caliber pellet rifle, and he was still alive. I had to resort to other means to finish him off, and decided I'd never do that again.

.22LR is quick and effective for most small critters, and 9mm works even better. If in-town where firearms are not an option, drowning would be preferable to a pellet gun, in my experience. There's just not enough lethality in most cheap pellet guns, not to mention most places where it's illegal to discharge a firearm it's also illegal to discharge a pellet gun. Relocating them is also a bad idea...it can spread disease, passes on your problem to somebody else, and also has some legal concerns.

I don't particularly enjoy killing stuff, but I'm also not going to lose any sleep over vermin that are causing damage to my property or posing a danger to my kids.

rugertoter

Master
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I had to deal with a possum one time that was trying to dig holes in my roof. I shot him 5 times point blank in the head with a Daisy .22 caliber pellet rifle, and he was still alive. I had to resort to other means to finish him off, and decided I'd never do that again.

.22LR is quick and effective for most small critters, and 9mm works even better. If in-town where firearms are not an option, drowning would be preferable to a pellet gun, in my experience. There's just not enough lethality in most cheap pellet guns, not to mention most places where it's illegal to discharge a firearm it's also illegal to discharge a pellet gun. Relocating them is also a bad idea...it can spread disease, passes on your problem to somebody else, and also has some legal concerns.

I don't particularly enjoy killing stuff, but I'm also not going to lose any sleep over vermin that are causing damage to my property or posing a danger to my kids.
    Yeah. Maybe a nice PCP in .25 caliber would have jacked him up on one shot. Some of the Magnum Springers can do the trick, but I would still rather use a .25 or .30 on a Possum.

mammynun

Master
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have an idea for you.
    Once they are in the cage. Pick up the cage take it to the water tank or a small creek ect. Put cage under the water and go get a cup of coffee, when the coffee is gone remove trap from the water.

No damage to cage. No money spent and the end result is the same.

Save the money on the air gun and buy a marlin 39a.
    I live within the city limits of New Albany in Floyd County where it's illegal to discharge a firearm. It's also illegal to relocate a raccoon out of the county (as well as being a d*ck move that pawns your problem off on someone else). Drowning is what both DNR and animal control both recommend.

I didn't like it, at first... but I like raccoon damage and possible legal issues even less.

Top Bottom