• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkholmes

Plinker
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    The wife and I have had issues with possums and racoons around our chickens and have been trapping them and dispatching them. The thing is, I really don't want to keep wasting .22lr ammo on these stupid things, so I figured I would get a .22 pellet gun as a dispatch pistol. The one I've been looking at is:

Has anyone had any experience with this model? I had a crosman when I was a kid, thing lasted forever. I'm also tempted to start getting a pellet rifle down the road as a small game / prep type rifle, though this pistol will not be it. I am thinking though that I would prefer .22 cal though just for the extra damage.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive got the same and fired several test shots. I like it. Same reason. Except I didnt want to worry about destroying the cage by hitting it on the exit side.

Havent had to use it for that yet though.

jkholmes

Plinker
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    Thats exactly what I've been thinking. I've already almost destroyed one trap from hitting it a few times. I'm thinking that something like this will be less bad about destroying a trap.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have an idea for you.
    Once they are in the cage. Pick up the cage take it to the water tank or a small creek ect. Put cage under the water and go get a cup of coffee, when the coffee is gone remove trap from the water.

No damage to cage. No money spent and the end result is the same.

Save the money on the air gun and buy a marlin 39a.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I have an idea for you.
    Once they are in the cage. Pick up the cage take it to the water tank or a small creek ect. Put cage under the water and go get a cup of coffee, when the coffee is gone remove trap from the water.

Maybe not bc that's cruel as ****.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I've got the same pistol...and use it for similar purposes. It is perfect for your intended use (as long as you are VERY close and well-aimed.). A great value in an air pistol imo.

I had a .177 caliber version that I bought in the early 80's, but it started to perform a bit poorly (bolt wouldn't stay closed, plastics started to crack, etc.)...so I tried to rebuild it. That didn't work out too well, so I just bought a new .22 caliber version. Very happy with it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I really have no idea about the relative damage of a pellet vs a bullet, but if the cost of a 22lr round is too much I'm not sure what to say for you. If it were me I'd rather spend the extra pennies and ensure a humane dispatch.
    Its not the cost of the round. Its the damage to the trap if the bullet doesn't exit through one of the holes in the cage.

And being inside the city limits could be a factor.

And I too agree that drowning is not fast enough. I started using one of those roller traps filled with water in my minibarn. I stopped using it when I realized they would have to swim (probably in a panic) for the rest of their lives.

But you do you I guess.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Life on the farm is different than city life. Cats could be around but were not fed. Dogs were pets but had duties.guard watch wrangle hunt wct. They got names. Cats were just blackie or stripes ect.

Cows pigs chickens and sheep were cows pigs chicken and sheep. If you took care of them they bred and then you butchered them. We did not name them. They were steaks on the hoof not pets.

Crushed road kill was normal. Mow a hay field without a couple rabbit casualties. Yea right. Ground hogs eat soybeans costing us money on the field. Must eliminate. Coons eat sweet corn and waisted the time we had in planting and weeding. Eliminate now.

Coon rats possum’s muskrats rabbit starlings mice ect are vermin. Never though it cruel to eliminate by any means. Firing squad, mouse trap, electric short, tractor wheel, foot hold trap, live trap, conibear trap, poison, sticky tape, local creek, cattle troughs, foot stomp, sling shot thrown rock.

My mother just got back into this of late. After feeding the birds tree rats (squirrels to city folk) started coming to the feeders and she started getting some corn cobs for them. The new Chevy truck uses some soy oil in the wires now. (Stupid move Chevy) seems one of her squirrels just eat 600 dollars worth of wiring the first time around, seems a couple other. Wires were semi chewed anothe tow and 499 to fix.

Mom just **** that squirrel with 2 **** 12 gauge off the fence post.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Its not the cost of the round. Its the damage to the trap if the bullet doesn't exit through one of the holes in the cage.
    OP specifically said it was about the ammo:
    "I really don't want to keep wasting .22lr ammo on these stupid things"

When it comes to a death I'm inflicting I've never made the cost of ammo a primary consideration (of course if two rounds will do the same job you could pick the cheaper alternative).
    Hunting, Pest Removal, Etc. Every animal deserves a quick death when you're the one doing the killing.

jkholmes

Plinker
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    OP specifically said it was about the ammo:
    "I really don't want to keep wasting .22lr ammo on these stupid things"

When it comes to a death I'm inflicting I've never made the cost of ammo a primary consideration (of course if two rounds will do the same job you could pick the cheaper alternative).
    Hunting, Pest Removal, Etc. Every animal deserves a quick death when you're the one doing the killing.
    Damage to the trap is a bit of a concern, though I haven't destroyed one yet, I do have one that is damaged where a 22lr round exited and took out a small section of the trap. Didn't make it unusable, but i'm sure eventually it will. I figure a pellet will be less damage in addition to cheaper.

Levergun1

Plinker
    Nov 1, 2021
    Kingman
    If you are thinking about a pellet rifle down the road, why not skip the air pistol and just get the rifle?

Can use the rifle for dispatching your pests. (More FPS, more ft/lbs of energy for a quicker kill) Handguns are limited on power, by law, I think.

A heavy .22 caliber pellet at 950-1000 fps, at close range will be humane.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Feb 27, 2009
    If you are thinking about a pellet rifle down the road, why not skip the air pistol and just get the rifle?

Can use the rifle for dispatching your pests. (More FPS, more ft/lbs of energy for a quicker kill) Handguns are limited on power, by law, I think.

I know of no federal or IN law that limits the power of air pistols. Size/weight are the limitations.

Levergun1

Plinker
    Nov 1, 2021
    Kingman
    I know of no federal or IN law that limits the power of air pistols. Size/weight are the limitations.
    I was thinking more on the line of the International Airgun Power Levels, with so many made in foreign countries.

For years, most pistols were 430-460 fps. I think Benjamin had a pump that was 650 and that was the beast. Lol

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have an idea for you.

Maybe not bc that's cruel as ****.

That is incorrect!

A quick downing is way more humane than chasing a critters moving head or vitals around a cage. Even with a more lethal round, it's a roll of the dice how many shots it will take, especially after your first two or three torture the poor critter who was just doing what they do. Even varmints deserve more respect than that.

Drowning is quick, as the animal goes spastic when submerged. It is clean and safe for all involved.

Animals don't have the mental capacity that humans have to overthink this.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a Mendoza .22 pellet rifle that will send a .22 pellet out at just over 1000fps.
    I recently tried to use it to dispatch an opossum trapped in a cage.
    Two head shots from just a foot away did nothing much more than to draw blood and **** off a large rat.
    Opossums are not easy to kill, even from up close.
    Racoons are a little easier.

Top Bottom