• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    Let start by saying I'm really ok with being disconnected/ outa touch, just every now and again I need to hear from others to make me not feel so isolated .

Ok here we go......I avoid talking to most people.....

I try to slip out of church without talking to anyone, because I honestly dislike football and the people who worship the game. I hate having to defend myself because I don't like football. Im just and idiot in there world,, but I can change my own (flat)tire with out having to call road side assistance , but I'm the idiot just ask.

I try hard to avoid answering the question of "so you raced cars?" After answering yes, I raced alcohol funny cars, the blank looks are in full force, then I get asked "you didn't drive a "stocker" on the dirt?" I answer, no I drove alcohol funny cars (and a couple JR fuel cars) my best guess is these None of these people could understand mechanical fuel injection, and aren't impressed with someone who can do the math behind the fuel curve in his head. But I'm an idiot just ask

I honestly have no idea who "so & so" is I don't follow pop culture, I don't watch much TV, I don't listen to a lot of music. I don't care about over payed actors/ actress and what they think about anything thing. There so important, they play dress up and pretend to be important. I do know current events that will impact our lives and I'm prepared for it,, but im stupid just ask.

I don't worship my lawn like my neighbors do. These people are insane, from sun up to sun down (unless football is on the TV) there out worshipping there lawn. Mowing 4 times a week, trimming the bushes, propping up the flowers ect....but I have to hear how if I just would stop working on race cars, and mow my grass every day, how much better my life would be.

I avoid talking about my hobby of building model engines, no one can fathom. 002 of and inch and how missing a dimension by that can scrap the project, I have to hear "you need a hobby" ....that is my hobby. But I'm stupid...

I avoid telling people I'm a high power competitive shooter, that's not a competition, there is no ball involved. I train, I practice twice a week, and shoot 3 matches a month (warm weather) there is talent needed for that. You need to take up football, now that takes talent. Ahhh,screw you.

I avoid telling people what I do for a living, I'm a tool and die maker. No I don't build screwdrivers & hammers. Morons......if we get part the fact I don't ride a desk for living, I'm asked what my shop builds, we are our own OEM building race car suspension parts, I then hear, oh race cars, can't find a real job can ya? It's OK I'm the super of production and I do engineering, maybe I should go worship a football lawn,court, playing area......

Thanks for letting me rant, now if you'll excuse me, the 9 year old wants her daddy , and I find your thoughts and questions much better then 99% of the adults I interact with

Aaron
    Buddy, I personally find you much more interesting than sportsballs and lawn. Don’t share any of the hobbies with you, but having a beer or two and chatting about them sounds pretty fun.
    You do you, it seems you know what makes you happy and are doing it!

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    And as far as hobbies go, I don't have many. The hobbies that might interest me are just too damn expensive. Even smoking/grilling meats (my main hobby) is getting ridiculously priced.

Lately, it seems like my main hobby is maintaining and keeping 5 cars on the road. At least, thats what I seem to spend all my free time doing.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They won’t leave me alone, they just keep talking about it like their many words will make me more interested.

I don't have that issue. I've mastered the completely blank stare. It makes people uncomfortable when you deny them any form of social feedback. It's tough to be completely neutral, but once you master it is a great conversation ender and works with panhandlers as well. I've had panhandlers stop mid-pitch, start muttering, then apologize and walk off.

Let your face go slack and look at the bridge of their nose. From their perspective you're making eye contact, but from your perspective you're just seeing a nose. It's much much easier for you to maintain without feeling awkwardness then it is for them. It helps if you have resting dick/bitch face.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I don't have that issue. I've mastered the completely blank stare. It makes people uncomfortable when you deny them any form of social feedback. It's tough to be completely neutral, but once you master it is a great conversation ender and works with panhandlers as well. I've had panhandlers stop mid-pitch, start muttering, then apologize and walk off.

Let your face go slack and look at the bridge of their nose. From their perspective you're making eye contact, but from your perspective you're just seeing a nose. It's much much easier for you to maintain without feeling awkwardness then it is for them. It helps if you have resting dick/bitch face.
    Yea but you’re a trained professional. I suppose that’s what they teach you at curbstomping school huh. You’re even trained to survive the skytubesofdeathwithnopersonalspace.

I’ll work on it though, thanks.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yea but you’re a trained professional. I suppose that’s what they teach you at curbstomping school huh. You’re even trained to survive the skytubesofdeathwithnopersonalspace.

I’ll work on it though, thanks.

You just have to be comfortable denying social expectations. I learned it as transactional behavior for interview/interrogation, but it's come in handy in multiple aspects of dealing with people or not dealing with people.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Let start by saying I'm really ok with being disconnected/ outa touch, just every now and again I need to hear from others to make me not feel so isolated .

I try to slip out of church without talking to anyone, because I honestly dislike football and the people who worship the game. I hate having to defend myself because I don't like football. Im just and idiot in there world,, but I can change my own (flat)tire with out having to call road side assistance , but I'm the idiot just ask.

I try hard to avoid answering the question of "so you raced cars?" After answering yes, I raced alcohol funny cars, the blank looks are in full force, then I get asked "you didn't drive a "stocker" on the dirt?" I answer, no I drove alcohol funny cars (and a couple JR fuel cars) my best guess is these None of these people could understand mechanical fuel injection, and aren't impressed with someone who can do the math behind the fuel curve in his head. But I'm an idiot just ask

I honestly have no idea who "so & so" is I don't follow pop culture, I don't watch much TV, I don't listen to a lot of music. I don't care about over payed actors/ actress and what they think about anything thing. There so important, they play dress up and pretend to be important. I do know current events that will impact our lives and I'm prepared for it,, but im stupid just ask.

I don't worship my lawn like my neighbors do. These people are insane, from sun up to sun down (unless football is on the TV) there out worshipping there lawn. Mowing 4 times a week, trimming the bushes, propping up the flowers ect....but I have to hear how if I just would stop working on race cars, and mow my grass every day, how much better my life would be.

I avoid talking about my hobby of building model engines, no one can fathom. 002 of and inch and how missing a dimension by that can scrap the project, I have to hear "you need a hobby" ....that is my hobby. But I'm stupid...

I avoid telling people I'm a high power competitive shooter, that's not a competition, there is no ball involved. I train, I practice twice a week, and shoot 3 matches a month (warm weather) there is talent needed for that. You need to take up football, now that takes talent. Ahhh,screw you.

I avoid telling people what I do for a living, I'm a tool and die maker. No I don't build screwdrivers & hammers. Morons......if we get part the fact I don't ride a desk for living, I'm asked what my shop builds, we are our own OEM building race car suspension parts, I then hear, oh race cars, can't find a real job can ya? It's OK I'm the super of production and I do engineering, maybe I should go worship a football lawn,court, playing area......

Thanks for letting me rant, now if you'll excuse me, the 9 year old wants her daddy , and I find your thoughts and questions much better then 99% of the adults I interact with

Aaron
    OP, can you imagine what the world would be like if no one was allowed to pay or be paid to watch/play sports?

Think what we could get done.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    OP, can you imagine what the world would be like if no one was allowed to pay or be paid to watch/play sports?

Think what we could get done.
    Hmmm. Not sure you worded that how you meant it.
    You do realize that racing and shooting as the OP stated are his hobbies are both in fact sports. Anytime a participant pays to play/participate then someone is going to win a prize. Your statement IMHO implies we shouldn't keep score, everyone who participated gets the same trophy etc.

All work and no play sure doesn't sound like very much fun to me.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold

Aaron
    Very similar to myself....not into football....don't much care for people,prefer my farm and my animals to most people and things....

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Especially the lawn thing drives me crazy……… everyone wants to go green but then they go outside and expend fossil fuels all week and waste fresh water all to maintain something that gives them nothing ! People would be much healthier if they devoted that same energy to a garden. Don’t even get me started on the weed killer people use on their lawns….. literally they call the only useful thing in the yard …. (Dandelions clover wildflowers etc) weeds then they use nasty cancer causing chemicals to terminate them.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Hmmm. Not sure you worded that how you meant it.
    You do realize that racing and shooting as the OP stated are his hobbies are both in fact sports. Anytime a participant pays to play/participate then someone is going to win a prize. Your statement IMHO implies we shouldn't keep score, everyone who participated gets the same trophy etc.

All work and no play sure doesn't sound like very much fun to me.
    You are correct, it is not worded right at all. It’s a very raw idea.
    I was not thinking about not paying to actually play/do the thing. That’s goods/services received for a fee paid.

I was really thinking about professional sports teams, outlandish ticket prices, food being taxed to build stadiums so that people can line their pockets (everyone from the owners to the players), all on the backs of the middle class.

I was definitely not advocating anything like not keeping score and participation trophies.

I think you’d have to go full-on commie to implement these ideas, it’s more of a thought exercise at this point. Aside from tax abatements and sales tax levies, they have figured out what the market will bear, and that’s all fair in our system I guess.

ETA “getting something done” doesn’t imply all work no play, there’s a lot of healthy play that would happen if we went out and played football with the family instead of watching it, for example.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I have always been somewhat of a loner. I wondered the woods as a kid alone with a fishing pole or shot gun.
    The one hobby I enjoyed the most was as an adult is racing sail boats, it can be all like size class boats in a race or there is a handicap formula to race unlike sizes against each other. Just you against the wind.

I also shoot often, at Martinsville SCC, again its in the woods and I go by myself.

Being disconnected somewhat is ok with me also.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Especially the lawn thing drives me crazy……… everyone wants to go green but then they go outside and expend fossil fuels all week and waste fresh water all to maintain something that gives them nothing ! People would be much healthier if they devoted that same energy to a garden. Don’t even get me started on the weed killer people use on their lawns….. literally they call the only useful thing in the yard …. (Dandelions clover wildflowers etc) weeds then they use nasty cancer causing chemicals to terminate them.
    Well, I'm one of those lawn guys you hate. I inherited an F- lawn when I moved here 10 years ago, probably up to a B- now. Since retirement, I've taken some on-line turf management classes, and consider myself an advanced turf hobbiest. My neighbors on both sides ignore their lawns, except to scalp them down to dirt when they exceed 5". They look like ****, but you know what, I don't care. Besides, compared to their hay fields, my little 1/3 acre of paradise looks like a country club. But I'll never give advice unless asked.

I occasionally watch the sports I played or still play: baseball, hockey, golf and non-NFL football. I'm not a rabid fan of any of them, but do have teams that I prefer win (White Sox, Blackhawks) and those I prefer lose ( Cubs, Colts, Packers), but my life isn't impacted by any final score.

Auto racing? Might as well turn on soccer, because I just don't get the attraction. I saw a description of the Indy 500 as, step on the gas, turn left and keep going until told to stop. Sounds about right to me.

So, to each their own. If you like cars, good for you, drive them as fast as you want and wear some dead guy's car number. My lawn loves the CO2.

What I don't get is the misanthropy here. Every activity has its fanbois, so who cares? When I'm with my golfing buddies, we talk golf and bourbon. When I'm around Colts fans, I politely excuse myself from the convo and STFU.

Now get offa my lawn.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Well, I'm one of those lawn guys you hate. I inherited an F- lawn when I moved here 10 years ago, probably up to a B- now. Since retirement, I've taken some on-line turf management classes, and consider myself an advanced turf hobbiest. My neighbors on both sides ignore their lawns, except to scalp them down to dirt when they exceed 5". They look like ****, but you know what, I don't care. Besides, compared to their hay fields, my little 1/3 acre of paradise looks like a country club. But I'll never give advice unless asked.

I occasionally watch the sports I played or still play: baseball, hockey, golf and non-NFL football. I'm not a rabid fan of any of them, but do have teams that I prefer win (White Sox, Blackhawks) and those I prefer lose ( Cubs, Colts, Packers), but my life isn't impacted by any final score.

Auto racing? Might as well turn on soccer, because I just don't get the attraction. I saw a description of the Indy 500 as, step on the gas, turn left and keep going until told to stop. Sounds about right to me.

So, to each their own. If you like cars, good for you, drive them as fast as you want and wear some dead guy's car number. My lawn loves the CO2.

What I don't get is the misanthropy here. Every activity has its fanbois, so who cares? When I'm with my golfing buddies, we talk golf and bourbon. When I'm around Colts fans, I politely excuse myself from the convo and STFU.

Now get offa my lawn.
    Never said hate. For most people lawn is not a hobby if it is I accept the wasted time and resources. For MOST it is a matter of social acceptance and or keeping up with the Jones.

And also to make matters worse…… some will complain about declining pollinator numbers…… or “global warming” just to kill off pollinators and burn fossil fuels maintaining said lawn.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Now get offa my lawn.
    I don't give a :poop: what other people do or don't like, but don't treat me different because I don't share those values. I try to keep my lawn neat, but that's about it. I also occasionally enjoy watching a hockey or lacrosse game, but ostracizing someone because they don't like bball or football is pretty lame. Yes it happens. You may not have ever done it, but believe me when I say it happens. Again, you do you, but the problem we're griping about is other people acting like we're the odd ones because we don't have the same level of appreciation for the "accepted" things.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    The BIG entertainment and time absorbers socially accepted sports drinking tv pop culture social media just give me the “circus and bread” feeling. And to be fair my hobby… hunting puts food in my freezer. Like to see them eat a football. Not to mention they aren’t participating in the actual game…… yes I hate ball sports.

Top Bottom