• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    I did a quick search and couldn't find a thread that addressed this, so maybe it's my failing memory, but have Dillon die prices jumped considerably over the last few years. It's been a bit since I looked, but hopped on their site to check for a set of 9mm dies to replace the Lee set I'm using on my 550. The were $120 and on backorder. I could have sworn they were $80-90 the last time I checked. I checked a few others: .223 steel were $137, carbide were $239. Those seemed $40-50 and $60-80 higher respectively than I remember. Have they really jumped in price or is my memory failing me?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    That does seem higher. I know Lee has gone up as well, at least the wholesale price.

Are the Lee dies worn out? I have two sets of 9mm Lee dies on 550s and they work fine. I would consider switching to the Dillons but haven’t had any problems with Lee

edit: Not sure how relevant this is. I do have a set of Dillon .45 dies. I think they run a little smoother then the Lee. However, when I was loading 9mm on my SDB I had a lot of trouble with some ammo not chambering correctly. Some say the the Dillon dies don’t resize as far down. Haven’t had those problems with the Lee dies.

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I agree that I could not believe my eyes when I got the September Blue Press from Dillon and saw dies sets at $120! Seriously??? For that kind of money Dillon should send a representative and set them up for you. LOL

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    That does seem higher. I know Lee has gone up as well, at least the wholesale price.

Are the Lee dies worn out? I have two sets of 9mm Lee dies on 550s and they work fine. I would consider switching to the Dillons but haven’t had any problems with Lee

edit: Not sure how relevant this is. I do have a set of Dillon .45 dies. I think they run a little smoother then the Lee. However, when I was loading 9mm on my SDB I had a lot of trouble with some ammo not chambering correctly. Some say the the Dillon dies don’t resize as far down. Haven’t had those problems with the Lee dies.
    They still work, just thought the dillon dies would be smoother like you said.
    I agree that I could not believe my eyes when I got the September Blue Press from Dillon and saw dies sets at $120! Seriously??? For that kind of money Dillon should send a representative and set them up for you. LOL
    You reminded me I had some old blue press issues laying around. I wasn't far off. Sept 2020 (1 year ago), 9mm were $75.99, 223 steel were $83.99, carbide were $179.99.

Wow!

Paid I think $69.00 in 2008. I think.
    Almost double that now. What gives?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    What Gives?

Everything costs more now. In 2008 I was still shooting up $9.99 Winchester 100 round 9mm bulk packs from WalMart.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I guess I was referring more to the 60% increase from prices just a year ago.

Hard to say. Probably the same thing that made pickup trucks go up 30%. But I wouldn’t worry, the news networks are telling me that these inflationary price increases are all short term.

Mods please move to the political sub forum if necessary.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Probably both. Ammo and component prices seem to be stabilizing or coming down. Reloading equipment seems to be up significantly. Just got a midsouth shooter supply email with hornady's AP progressive press at $530. It was $380 a couple years ago, up by more than 30%.

Top Bottom