• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Xterminator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    Terre Haute
    I've never had issues with double charge on 550. When you index yourself you check all 4 stations before so you get in routine of doing it. On other presses 650 (used it at gun shop) I had 8 squibs out of 280 rds made that day. That's why I got the 550 . I learned on a single stage press to be patient/safe but I needed the advantage of progressive press. It's a great machine. Great costumer support. No complaints here.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have never double charged one, bit the 4.4 grain standard charge looks plenty full. I would be surprised if 8.8 would fit. On any count, if a person is putting double charges in his reloads, he should not be reloading until he can pay better attention.

About 1999, a man asked me to help him figure out his reloading problems since he was new to .223 ammo. Always glad to help out. The first thing he did when we got to the house was fill a large water glass with ice and fill the rest of the space with Scotch. Some people just should not be reloaders.

I've seen guys at the range with a coffee can full of rounds. The same coffee can that caught the rounds coming down the loaded rounds ramp.

Also seen guys bleeding from above and below their eye pro. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Leo

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had two 550's on the bench. One was set up for large primer .45acp pistol rounds, the other for small primers, .38 and 9mm. I had complete tool heads set up for each caliber, so change over was really easy. Check the powder measure on a scale a couple times, and start making Good ammo

One thing I like about the 550 is that you index it with little lever, when you are ready. It sounds like extra work, but your left thumb is already there because you just set the bullet on the powder charged case. If something does cobble up, (very seldom) it stays in place until you are sure everything is ready to go again.

I never felt rushed making 350-400 rounds per hour of the same cartridge with the same powder weight and same bullet. Once you have loaded a couple thousand, you have all your equipment layed out your loading bench and your personal body movements fine tuned, so it all goes pretty smoothly. I loaded WW231 exclusively for a couple years and then started buying Hodgdon TiteGroup.. The Dillon Slide bar type measure is very consistent once you get it set.

If your brass is little dirty inside, sometimes you will get some debris on the right side of the shell holder that collects in the primer seating cup. Every once and a while, look in the cup, it it is dirty a quick wipe with an old tooth brush keeps the primers going in level.

I have had a couple different progressive presses, None were as reliable, easy to use and easy to change calibers than the 550. The others I got rid of, and the 550's I bought two. that says something. The first was $299, and a year later the 2nd one was $309. I'll bet they cost more now.

Good ammo was my primary goal. I never tried to see how fast I could reload.
    This was a good sales "pitch" for a 55o Leo. Thanks? :) Though if I'm only ever going to load 9 mm would I give up anything by getting a Square Deal?

I will load some other cartridges but they would be low volume and I could do those on my single stage.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Double charge is a concern with some calibers like the .38spl with any reloading, including the simple lee loader.

A person would have to be really out of sorts to do that on a 550. Not saying that it cannot happen, but there would need to be 4 levels of failure to even get to the charge. ( BTW, the newer powder measures have an interlock linkage that keeps that from happening even if the user fails on all 4 other steps. To start with, there would be no empty slot in the shell plate for the next empty brass, then there would not be anywhere to set the bullet, because a bullet is already crimped into the case. Plus no completed cartridge would have been discharged by the press. I am right handed so my head would naturally be on the left side of the press, easily looking down into the freshly primed case. Pretty easy to see if something is wrong. In 9mm brass, a double charge would not leave you room to put a bullet.

I could not understand a person having that problem. Then I remembered, some people can screw up an anvil. Even with the powder measure interlock, someone will figure out how to screw up.

Once heard a fellah at work say "That boy could tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer. " The subject was his brother.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    And speaking of catastrophic gun failures, it may be me, but I have seen a huge increase in the last 10 years or so. Todays guns are not built as strong and ammo mishaps are more common. Blown cases, bulged barrels, plastic slivers, fused bolts and injuries are more common than should be today.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    This was a good sales "pitch" for a 55o Leo. Thanks? :) Though if I'm only ever going to load 9 mm would I give up anything by getting a Square Deal?

I will load some other cartridges but they would be low volume and I could do those on my single stage.
    nothing wrong with a SBD for pistol, it's "drawback" is it uses proprietary dies. ive been loading on a SBD since '96. mainly 45acp, but i have dies for 40/10, 38/357 & 38 super

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Reloading ammunition is about speed. Handloading ammunition is about quality.
    That's why I stick to my old Lee single stage. One at a time but every round is handled 4 times and inspected every time. Every charge dropped from a RCBS auto with a digital scale.
    Its slow. Very slow but my handloads beat any factory load I could buy.

Xterminator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 11, 2018
    Terre Haute
    My son bought SDB. It's like crewchief said proprietary dies. Great machine but it has a small work space . Compare that to 550 , big difference & switching from one caliber to another is done by pulling couple pins from top of unit. That setup takes maybe 5-6mins with shell plate switch and pins then you'll off making ammo. . The double charge worry is a bogus thought. As you index to next station you set bullet you can clearly see inside case. The two stations I watch are powder drop & bullet set. 550 best of both worlds IMO.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Of course it's not the machine's "fault." It just happens more with people using 550s.

It's not a single-stage...550 is progressive, meaning it works on several rounds at once, it just deviates in a significant way from the usual definition of "progressive" in that it requires the operator to manually index the shell plate. It's the "worst of both worlds," in terms of danger of over-charging. If you don't manually move that plate, and pull the handle again, it will double charge a round.
    Some folks just won't accept responsibility. I suppose nowadays, one can get a large enough number of them together on the internet to blame something or someone else.:dunno: This reminds me of a fellow I knew decades ago, who used to carry a one hundred dollar bill around at shooting ranges. When he encountered a shooter who was cussing his gun, my buddy would offer him/ her the C note for the gun "that wouldn't shoot straight". Back then a hundred bucks was worth more than today, but still would have been a bargain for any decent firearm. My buddy said that he made a lot of "good deals" back then!

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Loading on a 550B I can do 100 in less than 15 minutes. However, I do not size, decap, and prime cases in this operation. I size and decap on a single stage then prime the cases by hand. So, I start the actual loading with primed brass. I got away from sizing/decapping rifle brass, which had to be lubed, on the Dillon and that just carried over to the 9mm. I don't get in a hurry but I do get in a rhythm.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Some folks just won't accept responsibility. I suppose nowadays, one can get a large enough number of them together on the internet to blame something or someone else.:dunno: This reminds me of a fellow I knew decades ago, who used to carry a one hundred dollar bill around at shooting ranges. When he encountered a shooter who was cussing his gun, my buddy would offer him/ her the C note for the gun "that wouldn't shoot straight". Back then a hundred bucks was worth more than today, but still would have been a bargain for any decent firearm. My buddy said that he made a lot of "good deals" back then!
    I myself have bought a few at decent prices at ranges, then there was this one time a person i had bought several from got so mad at a new cz in .223 that he took it and used a chop saw and cut it up, at the time that was a 800 dollar plus rifle uncontrolled tempers i feel have no place on a shooting range!!!!!!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Loading on a 550B I can do 100 in less than 15 minutes. However, I do not size, decap, and prime cases in this operation. I size and decap on a single stage then prime the cases by hand. So, I start the actual loading with primed brass. I got away from sizing/decapping rifle brass, which had to be lubed, on the Dillon and that just carried over to the 9mm. I don't get in a hurry but I do get in a rhythm.
    I'm too lazy to do all of that. I use the machine as it was intended and take my time. If I get distracted, something doesn't "feel" right or I get tired, I stop. That certainly doesn't make your process wrong. Everyone has their own way of doing things. As long as quality, safe ammo is the result, "whatever floats your boat". As I implied before, it isn't a race.

CB1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    I am probably slower on my 550c than most. I produce about 6 rounds of 9mm per minute staying focused on what I am seeing and hearing. But picking out 380 brass, loading primer tubes, etc slows production rate but I am only interested in loading 100-200 rounds at a time anyway. The 550 is a good machine. Very versatile and is good for production and load development. I used a SDB for years. I found it to be good for loading a specific caliber, but I did have parts wear frequently and sent back to factory twice for rebuild.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am probably slower on my 550c than most. I produce about 6 rounds of 9mm per minute staying focused on what I am seeing and hearing. But picking out 380 brass, loading primer tubes, etc slows production rate but I am only interested in loading 100-200 rounds at a time anyway. The 550 is a good machine. Very versatile and is good for production and load development. I used a SDB for years. I found it to be good for loading a specific caliber, but I did have parts wear frequently and sent back to factory twice for rebuild.
    I allocate a certain amount of time for loading. Right now I load 100 rounds and prime 100 cases. This way I am not depleting casings that are ready for final loading. This takes me about 30 minutes.

If I could take that same 30 minutes and crank out 200 completed rounds, that would be nice.

And this doesn't even factor in the months I spend just decapping, sizing and belling. During that time period I don't produce one loaded round. I want to set my seating/crimping die once and leave set it until I run out of primers.

I'd like to be able to have 5K rounds loaded by spring. I am at 2K and probably won't make it.

I have a feeling a progressive would get me there.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I allocate a certain amount of time for loading. Right now I load 100 rounds and prime 100 cases. This way I am not depleting casings that are ready for final loading. This takes me about 30 minutes.

If I could take that same 30 minutes and crank out 200 completed rounds, that would be nice.

And this doesn't even factor in the months I spend just decapping, sizing and belling. During that time period I don't produce one loaded round. I want to set my seating/crimping die once and leave set it until I run out of primers.

I'd like to be able to have 5K rounds loaded by spring. I am at 2K and probably won't make it.

I have a feeling a progressive would get me there.
    As long as you have those 3,000 primers and 2-3 lbs. of powder you should be able to get it done with a Dillon 550. There would be no problem at all, loading 500 rounds at a 2-3 hour session without getting tired. Two sessions a week wouldn't tax you either. Three weeks and you'd have your extra 3,000 rounds!

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I have never used a SDB so I can't speak to the functionality if it, decided against it with the proprietary die issue. I went from a Lee to the 550 & was thrilled with it. It has been a number of years since I have loaded 9mm on the 550. From what I remember around 400-500 rph once I got in a rhythm and everything went well, a primer filler helps a lot. I now have a 650 & super 1050 as well. I have been using the 550 for small batches of load development and calibers that I don't shoot in bulk. May end up getting rid of the 650 & add onto the 1050

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I'm too lazy to do all of that. I use the machine as it was intended and take my time. If I get distracted, something doesn't "feel" right or I get tired, I stop. That certainly doesn't make your process wrong. Everyone has their own way of doing things. As long as quality, safe ammo is the result, "whatever floats your boat". As I implied before, it isn't a race.
    I started doing it this way for a couple of reasons. I don't like loading lubed cases which is necessary with bottle-neck cartridges. And, I started hearing about guys having an entire tube of primers detonate in various Dillon machines. Those can probably be attributed to operator error but I'm not willing to take that chance. It probably would never happen to me but the guys who had it happen thought the same thing. Not trying to sell my process, just sharing it. And agreed, it's not a race.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I started doing it this way for a couple of reasons. I don't like loading lubed cases which is necessary with bottle-neck cartridges. And, I started hearing about guys having an entire tube of primers detonate in various Dillon machines. Those can probably be attributed to operator error but I'm not willing to take that chance. It probably would never happen to me but the guys who had it happen thought the same thing. Not trying to sell my process, just sharing it. And agreed, it's not a race.
    I load only pistol cartridges on my Dillons. Even though they have carbide dies, I lube my pistol cases to make it easier to pull the handle. The older I get the better I like easier. I spray an old t-shirt with lube, put in a bunch of cases and "massage" the cases within the t-short. I've been using my Dillon 450, then upgraded to 550 for a few decades. I never had the primer exploding problem and don't personally know of anyone who has. There is a shield (tube) around the inner primer tube that keeps them contained, in the unlikely event of that happening. Like I said, you do what makes you feel comfortable.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Check out this DAA case feeder for the 550B. I didn't like the idea of having to hand load the case in to the tubes but they got that covered with a bowl that you place on top of the tubes and shake and they will easily load quickly.

DAA mini case feeder 550
    My questions are is it really that much faster, when considering loading the tubes? Another thing I couldn't tell is would the case feeder interfere with disassembling the primer feeder assembly for cleaning or conversion? I don't care that I would have to keep track of the cases in the tubes.

Top Bottom