• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I know that speed isn't anywhere the top priority of reloaders, but while reloading 9mm yesterday I was keeping track. I am somewhat slow and methodical (that's just in my make-up) and 9mm brass is a little harder to handle than other calibers. I was loading approximately 250-300 rounds per hour. I'm just curious, as of course, Dillon touts their press to be able to load up to 550 rounds per hour. This isn't a contest. I was just wondering if anyone else using a Dillon 550 kept track of their reloading production. Of course, this doesn't include brass prep or cleaning nor boxing and labeling.

Mike Maddox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Otterbein
    While it can be done, and I have, but it means having everything set up. Smaller amounts of powder, several primer tubes filled, alarms, large bins, and such.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If i have everything prepped ahead of time (primer tubes filled, bullets lined up and brass lubed) then I can probably get close to 500 rounds per hour. That setup time can be upwards of 30 minutes though. Add in the spot checks for powder throw that I will do and it is more in the range you are describing.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm loading on a single stage. 200 rounds in a little over an hour. I do several redundant checks as I reload.

I have thought several times of getting at least the Square Deal or if I could pick up a used 550 reasonable one of those.

My concern is that I will lose the redundancies I have built in to my "system".

Are they really good enough to be trusted to be doing what they need to do at each station?

And just so I understand, you start with a clean casing with the spent primer still in?

500 rounds per hour sounds nice.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I am notoriously slow at reloading. I have a Hornady LnL progressive, and I don't do any better than you do, even though my press auto-indexes. I'm not a high-volume competitor and I want the time I do spend out there un-marred by QC problems.

I would not recommend doing any faster than what you're doing with a 550. Anecdotally, I would strongly bet that there have been more gun blow-ups due to people forgetting to index their 550 and double-charging cases, than any other press. A gun forum I used to frequent began referring to them as "550 Events."

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am notoriously slow at reloading. I have a Hornady LnL progressive, and I don't do any better than you do, even though my press auto-indexes. I'm not a high-volume competitor and I want the time I do spend out there un-marred by QC problems.

I would not recommend doing any faster than what you're doing with a 550. Anecdotally, I would strongly bet that there have been more gun blow-ups due to people forgetting to index their 550 and double-charging cases, than any other press. A gun forum I used to frequent began referring to them as "550 Events."
    This is my concern. Like I mentioned I have several redundancies built in that would go away if I switch to progressive.

Plus I case gauge every round.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

Blaming the machine for careless reloading is like blaming guns for crime. I got rid of all of my auto indexing presses 5 years ago. They are a PITA even with a powder checker station. I run several 550C’s now with a few Rebels as well.
    Back in the day I ran 4 650’s and several 550’s all set for common calibers and preferred manual indexing over the 650’s when there was a stoppage.

Handloading like cleaning your firearms is a rewarding process that one should enjoy instead of racing to the destination. So whatever equipment you use, steady as she goes and pay attention to detail.

See you on the range

Trapper

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I'm loading on a single stage. 200 rounds in a little over an hour. I do several redundant checks as I reload.

I have thought several times of getting at least the Square Deal or if I could pick up a used 550 reasonable one of those.

My concern is that I will lose the redundancies I have built in to my "system".

Are they really good enough to be trusted to be doing what they need to do at each station?

And just so I understand, you start with a clean casing with the spent primer still in?

500 rounds per hour sounds nice.
    200 rounds a hour is really pretty good on a single stage, Is this including priming, dropping powder, seat bullet and separate crimp??
    I myself run several 550's and love them as long as you pay attention, have powder on hand and extra primer tubes filled 400 plus a hour is very manageable, i no longer load 9 mm 0r 40 s&w on the 550"s as i have a auto 1050 that is relegated to those 2 calibers, all my match ammo is on single stage MEC loaders now. I had 2 650's and got rid of them as i prefer the 550"s

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Blaming the machine for careless reloading is like blaming guns for crime. I got rid of all of my auto indexing presses 5 years ago. They are a PITA even with a powder checker station. I run several 550C’s now with a few Rebels as well.
    Back in the day I ran 4 650’s and several 550’s all set for common calibers and preferred manual indexing over the 650’s when there was a stoppage.

Handloading like cleaning your firearms is a rewarding process that one should enjoy instead of racing to the destination. So whatever equipment you use, steady as she goes and pay attention to detail.

See you on the range

Trapper
    Of course it's not the machine's "fault." It just happens more with people using 550s.

200 rounds a hour is really pretty good on a single stage...

It's not a single-stage...550 is progressive, meaning it works on several rounds at once, it just deviates in a significant way from the usual definition of "progressive" in that it requires the operator to manually index the shell plate. It's the "worst of both worlds," in terms of danger of over-charging. If you don't manually move that plate, and pull the handle again, it will double charge a round.

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Been using a 550 for over 12 years and when I'm careful and load up primer tubes and have everything lined up I can usually do 350-400 per hour. That's pistol ammo and .223 plinking ammo.

Reactions: Leo

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    200 rounds a hour is really pretty good on a single stage, Is this including priming, dropping powder, seat bullet and separate crimp??
    I myself run several 550's and love them as long as you pay attention, have powder on hand and extra primer tubes filled 400 plus a hour is very manageable, i no longer load 9 mm 0r 40 s&w on the 550"s as i have a auto 1050 that is relegated to those 2 calibers, all my match ammo is on single stage MEC loaders now. I had 2 650's and got rid of them as i prefer the 550"s
    I load 9 MM.

I wish, lol. These are already belled and primed cases. I drop powder and seat and crimp with the same die. If you call it a crimp. I really am just taking the "bell" out. They measure around .379 at the rim.

I drop 10 charges, weigh the 10th. If its good, I continue to the next 10 and weigh again. If it's off, I dump and check the previous one. And so on until I get to one that is right.

I imagine in reality my loads vary .1 from time to time. But since I am loading a moderate load (3.8 gr TG under a 125 TC Blue Bullet, 1.150 OAL), I'm still safe.

If I were to add up each stage; clean, decap, size, bell, prime and then the final loading sequence I'm realistically closer to 50 per hour I would guess.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    250-300 an hour on a 550c seems about right. I tumble the range brass and send it through.

I am a big 550 fan. I think it is the best all around press a person can get. Bet dang that automated 1100 that Dillon is touting sure looks cool.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I know that speed isn't anywhere the top priority of reloaders, but while reloading 9mm yesterday I was keeping track. I am somewhat slow and methodical (that's just in my make-up) and 9mm brass is a little harder to handle than other calibers. I was loading approximately 250-300 rounds per hour. I'm just curious, as of course, Dillon touts their press to be able to load up to 550 rounds per hour. This isn't a contest. I was just wondering if anyone else using a Dillon 550 kept track of their reloading production. Of course, this doesn't include brass prep or cleaning nor boxing and labeling.

I'm way too meticulous for anything close to top end speeds. I do 9mm on a 650, stopping to check powder drop, OAL, case gage and primer depth every 100ish rounds.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

I'm reminded of the old saying, which I think has a lot of validity: "It's a poor workman who blames his tools!"

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had two 550's on the bench. One was set up for large primer .45acp pistol rounds, the other for small primers, .38 and 9mm. I had complete tool heads set up for each caliber, so change over was really easy. Check the powder measure on a scale a couple times, and start making Good ammo

One thing I like about the 550 is that you index it with little lever, when you are ready. It sounds like extra work, but your left thumb is already there because you just set the bullet on the powder charged case. If something does cobble up, (very seldom) it stays in place until you are sure everything is ready to go again.

I never felt rushed making 350-400 rounds per hour of the same cartridge with the same powder weight and same bullet. Once you have loaded a couple thousand, you have all your equipment layed out your loading bench and your personal body movements fine tuned, so it all goes pretty smoothly. I loaded WW231 exclusively for a couple years and then started buying Hodgdon TiteGroup.. The Dillon Slide bar type measure is very consistent once you get it set.

If your brass is little dirty inside, sometimes you will get some debris on the right side of the shell holder that collects in the primer seating cup. Every once and a while, look in the cup, it it is dirty a quick wipe with an old tooth brush keeps the primers going in level.

I have had a couple different progressive presses, None were as reliable, easy to use and easy to change calibers than the 550. The others I got rid of, and the 550's I bought two. that says something. The first was $299, and a year later the 2nd one was $309. I'll bet they cost more now.

Good ammo was my primary goal. I never tried to see how fast I could reload.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Of course it's not the machine's "fault." It just happens more with people using 550s.

It's not a single-stage...550 is progressive, meaning it works on several rounds at once, it just deviates in a significant way from the usual definition of "progressive" in that it requires the operator to manually index the shell plate. It's the "worst of both worlds," in terms of danger of over-charging. If you don't manually move that plate, and pull the handle again, it will double charge a round.
    Double charge is a concern with some calibers like the .38spl with any reloading, including the simple lee loader.

A person would have to be really out of sorts to do that on a 550. Not saying that it cannot happen, but there would need to be 4 levels of failure to even get to the charge. ( BTW, the newer powder measures have an interlock linkage that keeps that from happening even if the user fails on all 4 other steps. To start with, there would be no empty slot in the shell plate for the next empty brass, then there would not be anywhere to set the bullet, because a bullet is already crimped into the case. Plus no completed cartridge would have been discharged by the press. I am right handed so my head would naturally be on the left side of the press, easily looking down into the freshly primed case. Pretty easy to see if something is wrong. In 9mm brass, a double charge would not leave you room to put a bullet.

I could not understand a person having that problem. Then I remembered, some people can screw up an anvil. Even with the powder measure interlock, someone will figure out how to screw up.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... In 9mm brass, a double charge would not leave you room to put a bullet...

With Titegroup, I'm not sure that's correct, sir.

Part of the reason I went with the 650 over the 550 is that the 650 wouldn't readily let you double charge. Still, I run a light in the top of the press to see powder level in every case.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    With Titegroup, I'm not sure that's correct, sir.
    I have never double charged one, bit the 4.4 grain standard charge looks plenty full. I would be surprised if 8.8 would fit. On any count, if a person is putting double charges in his reloads, he should not be reloading until he can pay better attention.

About 1999, a man asked me to help him figure out his reloading problems since he was new to .223 ammo. Always glad to help out. The first thing he did when we got to the house was fill a large water glass with ice and fill the rest of the space with Scotch. Some people just should not be reloaders.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom