• Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    335   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Welcome to INGO @Paul 7.62

If you use spherical powder in a standard measure, you'll get +/- 0.1gn accuracy. Tool heads don't matter at all when it comes to powder drops. All bullet seating depths are constant even with TH flex.

Reactions: Leo

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    The only issue I have on my 550 is consistent powder throws with big charges, like over 45 grains or so. I weigh every one and trickle what is needed. Pistol and smaller rifle charges are on the nut.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    I don't handload with ball powder, as I prefer powders like H4895, IMR4064, H4350, H4831 and H4831 SC. My 550 is set up to size cases on the first tool head, then switch to weighted charges on the second tool head. I am using Armanov tool heads and die rings. Cases are primed on a Holland/RCBS primer seater 4 thousands below case head. All cases are neck turned, and primer pockets are cut to same depth.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    Tool heads are set up as follows: Station 1 Body sizing die, Station Two open, Station 3 Bushing bump die, Station 4 Mandrel die.
    Seating tool head: Station 1 blank, Station 2 powder drop (using a V4 to measure powder to .02 of a grain), Station 3 bullet seating.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    335   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Tool heads are set up as follows: Station 1 Body sizing die, Station Two open, Station 3 Bushing bump die, Station 4 Mandrel die.
    Seating tool head: Station 1 blank, Station 2 powder drop (using a V4 to measure powder to .02 of a grain), Station 3 bullet seating.
    You are using your Dillon past it's capabilities. I applaud you.

I've never seen someone use multiple tool heads - eight stages - on a four stage press. If you're trying to impress us, you have. And if you're trying to get fifty posts, you're doing a great job. Those are quality posts.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    If I want to spend more time on reloading, I single stage reload on a Forster Co-Ax.

I have reloaded 223rem on my Dillon 550 by first prepping & sizing brass with a full length bushing die (no expander) on a single stage. Then brass has lube washed off/dried. Primer seating done off press.

On the 550, I would carbide mandrel neck expand (no lube needed), powder charge with Dillon measure, seat with Forster Bench Rest seater (not micrometer). They turned out good.

I tried that after reading about others using Dillon 550 for accuracy loads. Many referred to David Tubb reloading on a Dillon 550,

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    I am a P-dog shooter so need to load lots of ammo for a trip each year, about 3000 rounds. All rounds are loaded long and then seated in a arbor press with a inline seating die the day before they are used. So evening goes like this, clean up, eat dinner, then prep rifles for an hour soak, break out ammo for the next day and seat bullets, finish barrel cleaning with JB bore paste and Kroil. Run patch of denatures alcohol thru bore, let dry and then a patch of HBN2 mixed in a slurry of alcohol. Bullets are all coated in HBN2 to reduce copper fouling and keep carbon build up down.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I am a P-dog shooter so need to load lots of ammo for a trip each year, about 3000 rounds. All rounds are loaded long and then seated in a arbor press with a inline seating die the day before they are used. So evening goes like this, clean up, eat dinner, then prep rifles for an hour soak, break out ammo for the next day and seat bullets, finish barrel cleaning with JB bore paste and Kroil. Run patch of denatures alcohol thru bore, let dry and then a patch of HBN2 mixed in a slurry of alcohol. Bullets are all coated in HBN2 to reduce copper fouling and keep carbon build up down.

Had to look it up...

Jarvitron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Indianapolis
    I have my 550's 223 toolhead set up as assembly only (powder fill, seater, factory crimp) and I do all my case prep on my single stage/hand prime. When I'm trying to build a load I throw/trickle and fill before I load them into the press.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Yes I reload for accuracy on a Dillon 550. I use spherical powder and check the powder every 5 loads. I also got the Inline Fabrication tool head screw down kit and followed the direction to tap and die to the letter. Installed my dies after the tool head screw down was installed as instructed. Consistency of COAL improved dramatically. Concentricity also improved. Patience and carefulness is the key to consistently accurate loads. My :twocents:!

Top Bottom