• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    So I want to start reloading and I'm just curious what all the pros think of these two machines, I want to go progressive cause iv got a lot to reload, I was looking at the Dillion XL750 or the lock n load ap, so what is the verdict?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    No experience with the Hornady.
    But we have 4 Dillon machines, 2 550's, a 650, and a 1050. The Dillon's are great machines.
    If I may make a suggestion, you should get a single stage also, I'd suggest a Rock Chucker .

Ghostface

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2017
    Grant Co
    I have no experience with the Hornady but Dillons are great machines and they are a great company that stands behind their products. Their no BS warranty is exactly that. I’d go with blue if I were you.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I went through this same analysis when I upgraded from Lee equipment 7-8 years ago. I wanted automatic indexing so the 550 was out, as was the square deal B, due to non-standard dies. I ended up buying the Hornady based on the following.

Pros for the Hornady:
    • Stations remove individually rather than an entire set at once. Makes it easier loading rifle as I can just install the deprimer/sizer die and run the cases through, then clean/trim them. Yes you could do that with a Dillon but it takes 2 tool heads.
    • Hornady is less expensive, both in the press itself, and in caliber changes.
    • Lifetime warranty. Yes I've used this on several components and always got replacement, but have had a couple unhappy reps, questioning my proper use of the press. For instance, when the bulled dropper collet broke, they argued somewhat because I wasn't using FMJ bullets and said they would only replace it one time.
    • Wildly available through most gun stores. Oftentimes the press or parts are on sale.
    Cons for the Hornady:
    • The primer shuttle comes slightly rough and even with polishing would hang up periodically over the first several thousand rounds.
    • The shellplate jerks at the end of travel, and doesn't always line up. This both spills powder, and causes crushed cases under the powder drop if you don't recognize it and manually put into final position. Misalignment happens several times/1000 rounds.
    Pros for Dillon.
    • Rabid fan club. If they were junk, the club would eventually die off. It hasn't for lots of years.
    • Lifetime no BS warranty. I've had them replace the decapping pin on my 9mm die and it almost took longer to dial the phone # than to get a claim in and parts sent out.
    • Large variety of aftermarket parts and accessories.
    • Several stocking dealers in Indy area where you can see the press in action. Haven't found that with Hornady presses.
    Cons for Dillon.
    • The 650 primer assembly would "eject" a live primer if the handle is cycled without a case at the priming station. This was the major reason I didn't purchase the Dillon. This has been rectified with the 750 by moving to a shuttle type priming station.
    • Expensive. Caliber changes are about 30% more than the Hornady. However, nobody complains about the price of a Mercedes or BMW, they just wish they could afford one. Buy once/cry once and all that.
    • Sold either directly or through dealers. Less available unless you live near one of those.
    Now that they have came out with the 750 press, I'd likely go with the Dillon if I was doing it again. Not that I'm terribly displeased with my Hornady, but I've got several friends w/ Dillon presses and they all love them.
    --Rick

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have the Hornady. Previously, I had the RCBS progressive.

I reload for 5 calibers, the locking die bushing design makes it very easy to switch between calibers. I can echo Mr. schmart on all of the pros & cons for the Hornady. You can minimize the shellplate jerking if you slow down or put your finger over the mouth of the case as it rotates to the bullet seating station (I've found this to only be a problem with rifle cases that are nearly full).

20200628_181729.jpg

I also built this nifty crate for transport-
    ReloaderBox2.jpg
    ReloaderBox1.jpg

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Do either of you Hornady users have issues getting the decapping station to line up consistently? I don't see the problem with powder spilling on the later stations, since I mostly load handgun calibers with light loads. My problem is usually the first station. I get tired of having to fiddle that case into position with my hand for decapping, and wonder what fixes you have found for the shell plate alignment. Otherwise I like the press.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Do either of you Hornady users have issues getting the decapping station to line up consistently? I don't see the problem with powder spilling on the later stations, since I mostly load handgun calibers with light loads. My problem is usually the first station. I get tired of having to fiddle that case into position with my hand for decapping, and wonder what fixes you have found for the shell plate alignment. Otherwise I like the press.
    I know what you're talking about. It's not an issue with bottle neck cases as they sort of naturally align themselves. But on 9mm and 45 ACP I maybe see 1 in 10 (maybe?) not line up and cause me to back off the handle slightly and try again. I don't know what condition causes it, I basically took it as a result of the play that exists in the mechanism.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I have 2 550's and a auto 1050 from dillon, have been extremely happy with dillon, i don't think i would use anything else, as of right now any thing in reloading is hard to find, and if you do your paying a premium to get it!!!!!!

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    That not lining up is part of the shell plate jerking, and not getting moved all the way to seat the spring loaded ball on the bottom of the shell plate into the dimple on the press. The other issue is not getting the cases seated ALL the way into the shell plate. Dillon resolves this with brass buttons, Hornady relies on the spring around the shell plate. I've added 2 things that assist with the lining up. First, I've built a 3d printed case feeder that has a "lever" that shoves the case into the shell plate. As the lever is relatively wide, it keeps the case pressed into the plate until the spring can secure it. The other thing I've done, is switch to a dillon dies for 9mm (which is my highest volume caliber). The stage 1 die has a funnel on the bottom that helps with the alignment. I've also gotten into the habit of bumping the plate forward to make sure it is in place as I sit the bullet on the case before the seating die.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I have an LNL, and I like it. I opted for it over the Dillon for a couple of reasons (even though I think the Dillon may be a slightly better press):

1. The Hornady was cheaper and came with 500 free bullets.

2. I didn't have the money for a case feeder and bullet feeder at the time, nor did I have the need for them. Working nights, I have plenty of alone time on nights off when the family is asleep to reload and don't need to crank out 750rds/hr to keep up with my ammo consumption...400rds/hr is plenty. The LNL feeds cases and bullets from the left side, so you can keep your right hand on the lever the entire time, while feeding components with your left hand. If you are not running a case and bullet feeder, this makes the LNL faster to operate than the Dillon. The Dillon 650/750 are really designed to be used in conjunction with a case feeder, and they are really fantastic when one is installed. If feeding by hand, though, I prefer the workflow of the LNL.

3. On paper, I liked the Hornady method of quick-change bushings for individual dies rather than the Dillon toolhead model. The LNL appeared simpler to work with, and easier and cheaper to change calibers on. Once I set the press up, though, and fought with getting the powder measure set right, I never wanted to mess with it again. My LNL is permanently dedicated to 9mm, and I do everything else on my Lee Classic Turret or Classic Cast Single-stage. If I was going to swap calibers, I'd want to at least purchase a new powder measure for each one. I did install the fitting to use the Hornady quick-change bushings on my single-stage, though...it makes swapping calibers on that press much easier.

4. I like that the Hornady primer feed system doesn't spit out primers every time you run the lever. They stay in the feeder until you seat one into a case. This makes it easier to run one round through the press by itself when setting up, or to troubleshoot any issues that might occur. It's also much easier to switch between large and small primers in the LNL than the Dillon, but as I noted above, I don't to much switching around on mine anyway.

As others have noted earlier in this thread, the LNL can have some alignment issues and may need some tweaking to run right. The pawls may need adjusted, but the biggest issue is that the shell plate likes to work itself loose. You absolutely must ensure that the center bolt stays tight or you'll have no end of indexing issues that will make you want to cuss and throw things. A simple wavy lock washer will do the trick, and I also check the torque with an alan wrench every time I refill my primer tube. If you keep it tight, you won't have indexing problems.

As to the issue of jerky advancement of the shell plate causing powder to slosh out of cases, the Dillon does this too, but it's easy to fix on the LNL. On the bottom of the shell plate are a couple of bushings with spring-loaded detents. Take an appropriately-sized punch and knock these in just a hair. The trick is to reduce their engagement with the press just enough to smooth out operation, but not enough to compromise positive indexing. Once you have them right, it will solve your powder sloshing issue.

I'm sure there are some other tricks I've learned over the years, but can't think of them off the top of my head right now. I'm happy with my LNL...it's a good press and has fit my needs well. A roller handle and light kit from inline fabrication have made it even better. If you like to do stuff by hand and don't need to crank out 700+ rounds an hour, it's a great choice. If you're going to spring for all the bells and whistles (case feeder, bullet feeder, etc) and plan to automate as much as possible to maximize output, get the Dillon.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The LNL feeds cases and bullets from the left side, so you can keep your right hand on the lever the entire time, while feeding components with your left hand. If you are not running a case and bullet feeder, this makes the LNL faster to operate than the Dillon.
    This is a big deal for me too. You can see from my pic the press is situated on my bench to take advantage of this design element.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    This is a big deal for me too. You can see from my pic the press is situated on my bench to take advantage of this design element.
    I also like being able to keep my right hand on the press handle with the Hornady, due to everything feeding in from the left side.

Also a positive for the Hornady, is the issue mentioned above about primers only advancing after one has been consumed. This is no small matter for me, because I always like to run 1 (or more) cartridge all the way through the press as a QC setup check, before commencing progressive production.

This latter point can also be an advantage for a new reloader while you're learning, because it essentially allows you to run the press in single-stage or non-progressive mode, and have a finished round with 4 pulls of the lever, similar to a Turret Press.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    One question for now as I'm just getting into it now.

Will Redding dies work in all these presses including the Hornady with the locking die bushing?

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central

Yep. Mine lives on the far right side of my bench for the same reason. I have one of those little magnetic steel trays from Harbor freight to hold bullets (the heavy base keeps it from moving around), and usually just pile a handfull of brass on the bench next to it and go to town.

I played with the Hornady bullet-feeder die some, and finally managed to get it to work somewhat reliably with a variety of bullets. However, it took up a station on my press, so I either had to use a powder-through expander or crimp with my bullet-seater die. The Hornady powder-through expander is a PITA to set up, and I was having major issues with it sticking in case mouths and requiring a lot of force to cycle the press (which then resulted in powder spillage). I got rid of that and went back to expanding with a dedicated die. For crimping, the Lee FCD has an important quality control function that I didn't want to give up. Add to that the fact that you have to spend time loading the bullet tubes, and that the bullet-feeder die was never really 100%...I decided that it didn't take much more time and was a lot less aggravating to just feed them by hand, so I went back to doing that.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central

Will Redding dies work in all these presses including the Hornady with the locking die bushing?
    They should. I've never used Redding Dies, but if they are standard thread you should have no problems. I have mostly Lee dies, and they are actually the most problematic with the Hornady bushings because some of them don't have enough threads to properly extend through the bushing and still engage the lock-ring. I've found that if I ditch the Lee lock-rings and use the Hornady ones, their threads are flush to the edge of the lock-ring and there is just enough thread to get away with it. The Hornady lock-rings are a better design anyway, and available at a reasonable price in a 10-pack (or at least they used to be before the current stupidity. I haven't looked lately).

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got a Dillon 550B, so no experience with anything you're asking about, but honestly. Both companies produce an amazing press. Both have cult like followings. I can personally vouch for the Dillon no bs warranty.

It may be as simple as a coin toss.

As mentioned earlier, I would also consider a single stage press. For learning and starting out, you can't beat it. For production the progressive wins out. Some say for utmost accuracy you need to go back to a single stage, but I use my 550B and get ammo that works at a mile so what do I know.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Yes, Redding dies work, I have a couple of their seater dies. I believe it's safe to say if a die will fit a Rock Chucker, it will fit the locking die bushings. That's the beauty of the locking system - adjust the height of the die like you would in a single stage press and tighten the ring down onto the bushing. Then you can remove and replace the die and not have to readjust the height, it retains the previously set height. Big time saver when switching calibers.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I researched the hell out of Hornady and Dillon progressives when I got back into reloading about 4 years ago. I wasn’t an inexperienced metallic cartridge reloader, but my previous reloading was low volume for center fire rifle bench work. Fast forward to my desire to volume load 9mm to satisfy my newly acquired USPSA and IDPA involvement where lots of practice and competition meant about 500 rounds a week or more.

After extensive research (like apparently what you’re doing) I purchased a new Hornady LnL with the case feeder for a lot of the reasons listed above. I could never get the case feeder to work smoothly for me regardless of how much I fiddled with it. There was a lot I liked about the reloader but the problematic case feeder was a deal killer for me. I sold the whole outfit for a loss. (About 50 cents on the dollar as I recall)
    A friend of mine ran across a deal on a Dillon 650XL about the same time as when I was getting started. He had no prior reloading experience and the reloader he bought was well used. He had some initial problems but calls to Dillon for advice about problems were quickly answered and replacement parts were quickly sent to him without charge. Dillon’s warranty is without compare.
    I subsequently purchased a lightly used Dillon 650XL (with a case feeder) and there was a brief learning curve, but overall I quickly discovered I‘d made a good choice.

There are only two reasons I can think of to purchase the Hornady. One is because it’s considerably cheaper ( comparing new to new or used to used ). The second is you won’t ever have a need for high volume reloading. You may think a single stage reloader will fill you needs but having to pull the handle five times to get one loaded shell will get old pretty quickly. That doesn’t even factor in switching out dies, etc.

Folks talk about the new(er) Dillon model 750 and compare it to the 650. I see no real good reason to purchase a 750 as they didn’t really make any great improvements. I’m convinced it was the marketing department that decided it was time to come out with a new improved model. Some will probably disagree.

My conclusion : Both are fine reloaders. Dillon will cost more - even comparing new/new and used/used. In fact used Hornadys go pretty cheap. Dillons retain at least 80% of new cost - maybe more in today’s environment.

IDPA does a survey of shooters each year. Over 90% of their members that reload use Dillon products. That should tell you something. Good luck in your search. YMMV.

One last thought. Strongly consider getting and using the Hornady style lock out die if your going to reload pistol ammo. Pistol cases take a small amount of powder, generally speaking, and under or overcharging a pistol case can result in disastrous circumstances. The lock out die will literally lock the press up the press if the powder charge is wrong.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom