• ...and so much more!
  • Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I'm a Hornady LnL guy myself, mainly because a guy from our church showed me the basics and that's what he uses. I use a single stage as I don't shoot thousands of rounds at a time and space on my bench. Dillon makes a great product as well. They have a huge following so they must be doing something right.:)

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    amboy49 makes a very important point. I am not a volume reloader so the LNL suits my needs very well. I would guesstimate if I was in a hurry I could produce 1 round every twelve seconds with the LNL. I would guess the Dillon design can produce a round in half that time (just guessing best case scenario). So, factoring volume needs into the equation would be prudent.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I went through this same analysis when I upgraded from Lee equipment 7-8 years ago. I wanted automatic indexing so the 550 was out, as was the square deal B, due to non-standard dies. I ended up buying the Hornady based on the following.

Pros for the Hornady:
    • Stations remove individually rather than an entire set at once. Makes it easier loading rifle as I can just install the deprimer/sizer die and run the cases through, then clean/trim them. Yes you could do that with a Dillon but it takes 2 tool heads.
    • Hornady is less expensive, both in the press itself, and in caliber changes.
    • Lifetime warranty. Yes I've used this on several components and always got replacement, but have had a couple unhappy reps, questioning my proper use of the press. For instance, when the bulled dropper collet broke, they argued somewhat because I wasn't using FMJ bullets and said they would only replace it one time.
    • Wildly available through most gun stores. Oftentimes the press or parts are on sale.
    Cons for the Hornady:
    • The primer shuttle comes slightly rough and even with polishing would hang up periodically over the first several thousand rounds.
    • The shellplate jerks at the end of travel, and doesn't always line up. This both spills powder, and causes crushed cases under the powder drop if you don't recognize it and manually put into final position. Misalignment happens several times/1000 rounds.
    Pros for Dillon.
    • Rabid fan club. If they were junk, the club would eventually die off. It hasn't for lots of years.
    • Lifetime no BS warranty. I've had them replace the decapping pin on my 9mm die and it almost took longer to dial the phone # than to get a claim in and parts sent out.
    • Large variety of aftermarket parts and accessories.
    • Several stocking dealers in Indy area where you can see the press in action. Haven't found that with Hornady presses.
    Cons for Dillon.
    • The 650 primer assembly would "eject" a live primer if the handle is cycled without a case at the priming station. This was the major reason I didn't purchase the Dillon. This has been rectified with the 750 by moving to a shuttle type priming station.
    • Expensive. Caliber changes are about 30% more than the Hornady. However, nobody complains about the price of a Mercedes or BMW, they just wish they could afford one. Buy once/cry once and all that.
    • Sold either directly or through dealers. Less available unless you live near one of those.
    Now that they have came out with the 750 press, I'd likely go with the Dillon if I was doing it again. Not that I'm terribly displeased with my Hornady, but I've got several friends w/ Dillon presses and they all love them.
    --Rick

Clear, well thought out, directly to the point. Excellent write up on evaluation!

1. Application.
    2. Application.
    3. Application.

If you do a few hunting rounds a year,
    RCBS Rock Chucker is very hand to beat in price & accuracy.

The more volume you do, the more top heavy reloading becomes, the more stuff you need to speed up that high volume production.
    You can get in quite deep.

I have had about all colors, the Dillon does a really good job for higher production with fewer glitches.
    As described above, there is an aftermarket to support Dillon which fixes the most annoying issues.

Wallet size & volume will determine what you actually NEED,
    Some people go top end and then let it collect dust...
    Some people work way too hard on an inadequate press, and again, not correct for the application.

I suggest younger with local reloaders, see what they are running and what volume they are doing.
    Application!

Last edited:

Mike Maddox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Otterbein
    Have friends with both mentioned companies. Both, and the others have their good points. Dillon does have a strong following (have 5). As often noted, starting/learning on a single stage is wise.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Have never used a LNL but friends that have then like then. If you don't shoot 10,000 rounds a month I see no need for the Dillon 750. I had a Dillon 650 and sold it. Did not like the case feed and primer setup. I now have a 550B an 2 SDB's and a RCBS single stage. RCBS is set up with universal decaping die. SDB is set up to load 9mm and the second one for .45 Colt. Everything else is loaded on the 550B. I loaded for 6 people shooting SASS twice a month on the 550B for about 10 years. About 3 hours produced enough ammo for the shots.

I think the 750 is way to much money for the amount of use most people put it to. LNL or the 550C will return your investment sooner and keep you out of your wifes hair for an hour or so longer giving her a break.

Top Bottom