Did i accidentally pick up some 556 duplex rounds???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    We had someone show up to an outdoor rifle match with an old surplus rifle and a paper sack with a bunch of old assorted surplus ammo. Things were gong well until the bream caught fire. Cease fire, got the fire put out. It turned out some of the ammo was incendiary, and as long as the keep hitting in the dirt it was not a problem, but he shot wide into the dry grass.
    I've deep fried bream before but never burned it. Great fillets! Why would they have bluegills at a range?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Heres the deal..
    Stopped in a pawn shop I frequent and he gave me a bunch of loose ammo he had while he was digging around looking for 8mm mauser and 6.5 Swede for me. I got all sorts of ammo, surplus 30-06, 9mm ++p submachine gun stuff, 7mm mauser, and this stripper clip of 556 with yellow tips.

At first I thought it was discolored green tips but I dont think so now. In the picture you have 3 black tip, next 3 green tip and finally the "yellow tips". They have a head stamp of "LC 88".

So with a little internet sleuthing it seems like these are likely duplex rounds as in 2 different projectiles in each case!!!!!!!

Another option is "starburst" rounds but that seems less likely....

So only way to know is to xray them, which I'm going to attempt to get done tomorrow! But I figured I'd share my curiosity for the moment. View attachment 177689
    What a great score!

Tell us more: https://cartridgecollectors.org/

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I remember being at Knob Creek and them having to call cease fires to put out fires that had been started up on the surrounding hillsides during the machine gun shoot from all the tracers being used.
    Ive seen that more than once there, we were shooting at Bass & Bucks a few years back on the long ranges and some fine shooter at the 50-100 was shooting tracers and lit the berm between the store and apts on fire. its was burning pretty good when the FD arrived.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I remember being at Knob Creek and them having to call cease fires to put out fires that had been started up on the surrounding hillsides during the machine gun shoot from all the tracers being used.
    Had this happen to me at Edson range (U.S.M.C.R.D.) circa 1977.
    Caught the entire mountain side on fire.
    It was a hoot to shoot all of those tracers, but the 2.5 days putting out the fire kind of sucked.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Had this happen to me at Edson range (U.S.M.C.R.D.) circa 1977.
    Caught the entire mountain side on fire.
    It was a hoot to shoot all of those tracers, but the 2.5 days putting out the fire kind of sucked.
    Had that happen at Ft. Stewart. Since the tank ranges used the same impact area as the artillery and mortar firing points, there was no putting that fire out. We were sitting around waiting for the brass to make a decision on postponing or continue the firing and every so often, BOOM!

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    if your ever interested in getting rid of these rounds, i'd love to purchase them. i've been desperately looking for starburst or silver comet incendiary's. I also have two different 556 nato duplex rounds i might be willing too trade you a few since that is what you were looking for orrigonally
    Those little squiggly red lines under words you type... They mean sumthin.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2023
    Fort Smith
    If you're ever interested in getting rid of these rounds, I'd love to purchase them. I've been desperately looking for starburst or silver comet incendiaries. I also have two different 556 nato duplex rounds I might be willing to trade you a few since that's what you were looking for originally. I can also provide pictures and proof that the duplex rounds I have are real. Is there anyway of contacting you?

Last edited:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Back when Wilbur Wright public range was wild and free.
    The DNR or some one dumped several loads of mulch on the 50 yard range. We just picked up some exploding targets, 1 dollar each, at Gun show (before tannerite days). We were shooting those Marvel Mystery Oil cans because they made a good clunk when hit with 22’s.
    The exploding targets had a sticky that worked well on the cans. So much fun and quite a boom, blew the can to oblivion, it started a small manageable fire so we put it out before it caught the entire place on fire.

Top Bottom