Did i accidentally pick up some 556 duplex rounds???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    Heres the deal..
    Stopped in a pawn shop I frequent and he gave me a bunch of loose ammo he had while he was digging around looking for 8mm mauser and 6.5 Swede for me. I got all sorts of ammo, surplus 30-06, 9mm ++p submachine gun stuff, 7mm mauser, and this stripper clip of 556 with yellow tips.

At first I thought it was discolored green tips but I dont think so now. In the picture you have 3 black tip, next 3 green tip and finally the "yellow tips". They have a head stamp of "LC 88".

So with a little internet sleuthing it seems like these are likely duplex rounds as in 2 different projectiles in each case!!!!!!!

Another option is "starburst" rounds but that seems less likely....

So only way to know is to xray them, which I'm going to attempt to get done tomorrow! But I figured I'd share my curiosity for the moment. 20220123_202117.jpg

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    If by "starburst" you mean incendiary, I think that's correct IIRC. Orange would be tracers.
    Not exactly but in a similar ballpark. It seems like starburst are for marking a target? I shoot one at some steel and see here soon

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220124-101803_Chrome.jpg
      Screenshot_20220124-101803_Chrome.jpg
      671.8 KB · Views: 44
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    More interested in the fact you can x Ray. Where are you located and do you wanna x Ray some cans?
    I work at a veterinarian and they're pretty cool with whatever. I would gladly xray them for you but I work down in Bloomington, IN. If for some reason you are in the area , sure I can do it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It was a joke I think... Beech Grove's range burned down a few years back because of someone shooting tracers (indoor range). :):
    We had someone show up to an outdoor rifle match with an old surplus rifle and a paper sack with a bunch of old assorted surplus ammo. Things were gong well until the bream caught fire. Cease fire, got the fire put out. It turned out some of the ammo was incendiary, and as long as the keep hitting in the dirt it was not a problem, but he shot wide into the dry grass.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We had someone show up to an outdoor rifle match with an old surplus rifle and a paper sack with a bunch of old assorted surplus ammo. Things were gong well until the bream caught fire. Cease fire, got the fire put out. It turned out some of the ammo was incendiary, and as long as the keep hitting in the dirt it was not a problem, but he shot wide into the dry grass.
    I remember being at Knob Creek and them having to call cease fires to put out fires that had been started up on the surrounding hillsides during the machine gun shoot from all the tracers being used.

Top Bottom