Deputy Secretary of Defense Kathleen Hicks “2022 is the year we question the sustainability of the all-volunteer force.”

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I wish him Great Luck.
    Has he taken his asvabs yet? Tell him to study, it pays off.

Yeah. He qualifies for any MOS/rating he wants. Good physical condition, low body fat and lifts weights multiple times a week, no drug use, no health issues, etc. He can pick whatever he wants and they'll be happy to have him.

So many kids his age are fat asses and/or dopers and/or dumbasses. Not that the military doesn't need dumbasses, lots of jobs for dumbasses as well, just can't be a fat pothead on top of that.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Yeah. He qualifies for any MOS/rating he wants. Good physical condition, low body fat and lifts weights multiple times a week, no drug use, no health issues, etc. He can pick whatever he wants and they'll be happy to have him.

So many kids his age are fat asses and/or dopers and/or dumbasses. Not that the military doesn't need dumbasses, lots of jobs for dumbasses as well, just can't be a fat pothead on top of that.
    When mine go home on occasion, they quickly realize how far they have come in 4-6 years with the rest of the once circle they geew up with.

Still plenty of uses for those that score in the 30s - 40s.
    Run up and charge those machine guns private...
    To those in the CG working the Intracoastal waterway on piledrivers/tenders.
    Gos Thank Them All.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Talking with my grandson last night, he got out of Army this spring on disability for messed up hips. He had served about three years and said he was glad to be out. When he went in they were teaching the real mission of securing the United States. The way to do that is knowing how to kill people and break things. Said now the army is more concerned with being "inclusive and using the proper pronouns."
    Also the older "hard core" types that he really respected are leaving or basicly being forced out. Sounds nothing like the Army I was in, and not a better one either. Jim.
    Jim, I'm sorry to hear about your grandson's hip injury.
    I'm also sorry to hear about the deterioration of the Army, and I've recently begun to suspect as much

I have a stepson who's now 28 and just went in the National Guard last fall and is done with his Basic and Individual training.
    Was glad to see him finally do something with his life, but it didn't seem to make much of a change in him to the degree that guys I knew from my generation who went in the military in years passed.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    The military should only have one goal - to be the best prepared, best trained, best equipped fighting force possible.
    I would go one step further and add "best prepared, best trained and best equipped at breaking things and killing people".
    Goals like "winning hearts and minds" are nebulas and ultimately outside the control of any military.
    Any first year business student knows a goal should be objective and measurable.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Makes me wonder if they have bayonet training now and if they do what is said on the field. When I was in basic training the Drill Sgt would yell out "What is the purpose of a bayonet?" The proper answer was "To Kill!"
    Back then a bayonet field was apparently a pretty important area. I remember standing guard duty on our bayonet field in the middle of the night wondering who the hell was going to come steal it. Jim.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Gee maybe we need to, like, finally return to a peacetime military and call an end to the Forever War? Make due with less? Maybe we, like, don't need an $800bn/yr military?
    Yup, this might not solve the recruitment problem but it would sure help.

I never thought much of Colin Powell's performance as a civilian but his process for gong to war is spot-on:
    All these questions must be answered yes before military action begins. The only one I might quibble with is #8.
    1. Is a vital national security interest threatened?
    2. Do we have a clear attainable objective?
    3. Have the risks and costs been fully and frankly analyzed?
    4. Have all other non-violent policy means been fully exhausted?
    5. Is there a plausible exit strategy to avoid endless entanglement?
    6. Have the consequences of our action been fully considered?
    7. Is the action supported by the American people?
    8. Do we have genuine broad international support?

Once the decision is made set "clear and precise" goals and use of "overwhelming force" to achieve them.

Keep the US out of the endless rotations in half-hearted efforts with fuzzy goals (winning "hearts and minds) and 'limited use of force').

OK, I always feel better after a rant......

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My son is enlisting, apparently. None of the social issues you guys care about are relevant to 17-19 year olds as far as deciding to enlist or not. Teenagers, even the smart ones, are still hormone riddled emotionally driven proto-humans with no idea of what real life looks like yet. You know, idiots. Just like me and just like you were. I think about things like how the VA will **** you like a house cat, and have been frank with him about it, but teenagers are invincible in their brains. Just like me. Just like you were. Remember what it was like when you were enlistment age and ask yourself if you gave a **** about any of this.

His decision is a job that lets him shoot cool guns vs a job that teaches him to do something useful when he gets out. Now once he's in, all that stuff will likely cause retention issues. Cool guy jobs aren't cool once you actually do them and they consistent largely of painting rocks and watching PowerPoints...

Did you teach your kids it's important to be part of something bigger than yourself? The value of service? Did YOU serve? Did you tell them it was a worthwhile experience? Or did you teach them college or you are a moron?
    I have a couple of kids considering it. I have tried to teach them the value of service and I did serve.

Is there wokeness? Sure. Has it cost some good people their career unnecessarily? Sure.

...but the impression I get is that at the company level, the wokeness is treated about like every HR seminar everyone sleeps through in the civilian world. You try to use the "right" language and be a decent human, but other than that, it doesn't intrude in the day-to-day much.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Don't worry, comrade, Diversity is our strength.

adm-rachel-l-levine.jpg

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Don't worry, comrade, Diversity is our strength.

adm-rachel-l-levine.jpg

Thankfully the ugly dude in women's service dress is Public Health Service Commisioned Corps. Uniformed Services, not Military. That is the general direction things in the DoD are going.

The pendulum will swing in the other direction. As with most things DoD, anything worth doing is worth over-doing so it's hard telling what the results will be.

Gunsmiff12B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 13, 2016
    South bend
    Being a non commissioned officer and serving over 13 years in various mos’ (31b, 12b, 11b) and positions, both conus and oconus and nearly being pushed out due to vaccination refusal (only still in on a technicality) I plan to get out in a few months, and not look back. I planned on retiring out, the juice is no longer worth the squeeze

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Top Bottom