• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    What would be the best way to deprime bottleneck brass with live primers with common household tools? I don't have a vice or reloading press or drill.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    330   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    The only way I could figure - hydraulically.

Fill the case with water and find a dowel the size of the case neck and a hammer. Drop the dowel into the case and hit it. Primers should pop out. They won’t be usable afterward though.

How many cases and what caliber? Depending on where you are, I’d do it for you.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    More details on how and why you want to do it?

Maybe there is another solution? Trade, etc?

I'm with Aszerigan. It's not really a big deal for someone with a press, and there are a lot of us.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    More details on how and why you want to do it?

Maybe there is another solution? Trade, etc?

I'm with Aszerigan. It's not really a big deal for someone with a press, and there are a lot of us.

This.
    And you can DIY of you dont want to burden one of us with a press. (who would likely hang out with you and chat while you borrowed our gear. INGO is cool that way)

Otherwise, one of these and a hammer. And something to give the primer somewhere to go. a small bench vise opened slightly. A block of wood with a hold drilled in it are good examples.

But you will want to neutralize the live primers first since you arent using a press. Filling the cases with water first will do it.

Amazon product ASIN B00TBSJ8PK

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I'm shipping some brass and don't want live primers in them. So water will kill a primer? I didn't think that was the case. If so i think the punch/ block of wood and hammer should work.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I could be wrong, water will keep the primer from firing but if it dries out & the priming compound is still there they will be live again. Fill with water to remove the primers hydraulically as Aszerigan stated.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes. water inside the primer will neutralize it, but only while it is still wet as I understand it. Pure water on a primer wont permanently kill them and they can be functional again when they dry out.

So get them wet, wait a couple hours, push out the primers. Oh, and add a drop of dish soap to the water to reduce the surface tension and speed up the deactivation.

BUT WEAR EYE PRO JUST IN CASE!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't mean to hound on it, but more info could well produce a better outcome?

Primers are selling for three times what they were. You might be able to come up with a decent trade of primed brass for deprimed brass and not have to mess with them at all? Just sayin'...

:ingo:

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I'll try the water dowel method first. Thanks.
    What is your reason for not wanting live primers in your shipped brass? Primers by themselves are HAZMAT, but shipping primed brass is the same as shipping a box of pebbles, both legally and safety. If you’d provide more details as to the purpose of your inquiry or concern, I’m sure many can help.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    330   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Yes. water inside the primer will neutralize it, but only while it is still wet as I understand it. Pure water on a primer wont permanently kill them and they can be functional again when they dry out.

BUT WEAR EYE PRO JUST IN CASE!
    Correct, I should have said they won’t be reliably usable. And please wear eye pro.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    From experience, you absolutely CAN ship primed brass via UPS. It’s not considered hazmat. I know we’re just voices on the internet but I’m 110% sure that’s correct.

Done it many, many times.
    ^^^Yep..You can ship primed brass by Carrier Pidgeon if you have some..
    Again, what was said upthread..What caliber?? Most of us would trade you out of brass..Bill.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh YES you can...
    Just NOT plain ole primers..Bill.
    Which is counterintuitive. But then again, some regs never made much sense.
    My guys have to keep fire extinguishers in the boxes. Because if they are in the box, they dont count for some DOT issues. A vanload of fire extinguishers strapped down? No go. The same or more extinguishers IN BOXES strapped down? A-OK. :scratch:

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    .225 winchester. Who has new brass they want to trade? I'm in crown point. I guessingg have about 75-100 see pic. If you deprime for me you can have the primers. Work is killing me lately, I can only meet Saturday afternoons or Sunday afternoon. I can drive to your place or meet somewhere if you want. I'll wait while you do the job. I don't want to just drop it off. I think they are large rifle primers.

Attachments

• 20230318_212500.jpg
      20230318_212500.jpg
      475 KB · Views: 6
    Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    .225 winchester. Who has new brass they want to trade? I'm in crown point. I guessingg have about 75-100 see pic. If you deprime for me you can have the primers. Work is killing me lately, I can only meet Saturday afternoons or Sunday afternoon. I can drive to your place or meet somewhere if you want. I'll wait while you do the job. I don't want to just drop it off. I think they are large rifle primers.
    I'm pretty sure someone in the Crown Point area could de-prime your cases for you??.Bill.

Top Bottom