• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Certainly it can be argued that both alcohol and marijuana use can lead to harm to others; it demonstrably does in domestic violence and DUIs.
    So can cars, steak knives, firearms, chainsaws and aspirin. I don't consider alcohol or cannabis use to be immoral and even if I did I wouldn't feel justified in telling someone else what they can or can't do provided it doesn't harm anyone else.

The prohibition on cannabis and prostitution creates many more of the problems than the substance or act itself.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    As I said before, I've read that, at least for some people, marijuana use leads to searching out stronger drugs. I don't know if there is a precise analog to alcohol use; as the son and grandson of alcoholics, I never noticed that either my father or grandfather sought out "stronger" experiences, but that's anecdotal.

I'm certain I can't describe an "objective morality" and I'm not certain what an objective morality would look like. Certainly it can be argued that both alcohol and marijuana use can lead to harm to others; it demonstrably does in domestic violence and DUIs.

Again, we are discussing limiting freedoms of all people for about a 10% slice of the population that have issues with addiction. A smaller percentage will seek a stronger affect. Some are pushed up by their pusher…

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    So can cars, steak knives, firearms, chainsaws and aspirin. I don't consider alcohol or cannabis use to be immoral and even if I did I wouldn't feel justified in telling someone else what they can or can't do provided it doesn't harm anyone else.

The prohibition on cannabis and prostitution creates many more of the problems than the substance or act itself.
    I understand your position, completely; I just don't agree with your conclusions. OTOH, I'm not trying to force my opinion on anyone.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    As I said before, I've read that, at least for some people, marijuana use leads to searching out stronger drugs. I don't know if there is a precise analog to alcohol use; as the son and grandson of alcoholics, I never noticed that either my father or grandfather sought out "stronger" experiences, but that's anecdotal.

I'm certain I can't describe an "objective morality" and I'm not certain what an objective morality would look like. Certainly it can be argued that both alcohol and marijuana use can lead to harm to others; it demonstrably does in domestic violence and DUIs.
    I think an objective moral here would be like I said. A deterministic path from use to harming others. In other words, if they do x, y will usually happen because they can’t help it. So like with alcoholics there are some deterministic behaviors that pretty much happen with all alcoholics.

But, not all people who drink alcohol behave in ways that are pre-determined by the fact that they drink alcohol. They don’t all become alcoholics. We might use statistics to predict how many alcohol drinkers will become alcoholics.

Same with MJ. Maybe it could cause some people to chase a bigger buzz. I don’t know the science on that. My main point was that I don’t see alcohol as any more or less moral than mj.

I think people who drink casually, and think that mj is so much worse morally, should study that issue with an open mind, and they might land on neither being particularly immoral, or both being immoral.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Again, we are discussing limiting freedoms of all people for about a 10% slice of the population that have issues with addiction. A smaller percentage will seek a stronger affect. Some are pushed up by their pusher…
    Again, we end up talking about personal freedoms - "license, if you will - versus the morality of what is good for society as a whole. Personal freedom is useless to society as a whole unless it's backed up by a societal morality that frowns on destructive behavior. We tolerate drug use - including alcohol - to excess and that encourages some folks to get into stronger drug use, which leads to increasing the demand for illegal drugs, which leads to wholesale criminal enterprises, which inevitably leads to violent crime, and so on.

Normalizing sexual behavior outside marriage, leads to degradation of the institution of marriage, leads to broken families, leads to normalization of sexual relationships outside of marriage, leads to decreasing birth rates below replacement levels, leads to attempts to normalize pedophilia and bestiality, and so on.

Our society is disintegrating around us and I'm not sure we have it within us to recover.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The discussion over pot legalization is quite the emotional issue, eh? Brings out the worst in some, huh?

My argument is not really over legalization. Legalization is a messy at best, but so is a lot of other legislation that we have control of and not. FYI though, arguments that attempt to use shame or rudeness in some fashion won't be winning a lot of folks over to the legalization side. :twocents:

My point is more over the need to educate folks that they don't need the recreational buzz to have a good life. Intoxication is not really that cool as society and media has always raised us to believe. Changing mental status with chemicals recreationally on occasion is fine, but regular use is not productive for the user or others associated.

Chasing euphoria on a regular basis certainly has been the downfall of a lot of folks. Changing laws won't effect that one way or the other. Changing attitudes about the need for euphoria in daily life is the better argument. :)

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My point is more over the need to educate folks that they don't need the recreational buzz to have a good life.
    You have a mighty shallow depth of understanding about cannabis and particularly many of those who use it.

I've yet to be convinced that the billions we've poured into our attempts to prohibit people from using a plant has accomplished anything other than more powerful criminal organizations and holding up a prison industry bigger than anywhere else on the planet. Sure as hell doesn't get anywhere near being considered effective or successful. I guess it's just there so the "at least we've done something" crowd can feel good?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The discussion over pot legalization is quite the emotional issue, eh? Brings out the worst in some, huh?

My argument is not really over legalization. Legalization is a messy at best, but so is a lot of other legislation that we have control of and not. FYI though, arguments that attempt to use shame or rudeness in some fashion won't be winning a lot of folks over to the legalization side. :twocents:

My point is more over the need to educate folks that they don't need the recreational buzz to have a good life. Intoxication is not really that cool like society and media has always raised us to believe. Changing mental status with chemicals recreationally on occasion is fine, but regular use is not productive for the user or others associated.

Chasing euphoria on a regular basis certainly has been the downfall of a lot of folks. Changing laws won't effect that one way or the other. Changing attitudes about the need for euphoria in daily life is the better argument. :)

That poster who told you to **** off certainly didn’t make any headway.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You have a mighty shallow depth of understanding about cannabis and particularly many of those who use it.

I've yet to be convinced that the billions we've poured into our attempts to prohibit people from using a plant has accomplished anything other than more powerful criminal organizations and holding up a prison industry bigger than anywhere else on the planet. Sure as hell doesn't get anywhere near being considered effective or successful. I guess it's just there so the "at least we've done something" crowd can feel good?
    I'm not really commenting on what you said here. I just noticed your avatar and have now recovered from my laughing episode.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    They are. At least for opioids. There’s even an interstate exchange that tracks opioid prescriptions across state lines.
    Heck, if I want decongestants that actually work (pseudoephedrine) I have to show DL and sign, so I think they're also 'discouraging' trying to buy too many of those so you can't home-brew meth

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I don’t see anything any more wrong with legalizing mj than there was legalizing alcohol after its prohibition. I’d rather people choose not to use either. But it’s only a choice I can make for myself.

People still choose to smoke weed even though it’s illegal. Keeping it illegal only creates a reason to lock people up.
    Does it never occur to people (excluding those who want to puff for some medical condition) to wonder WHY they are willing to risk their careers and their LTCH/CCW and perhaps jail 'just' to get high? If it isn't addictive, why is the pull to burn one (or more) every day so strong?

It doesn't look like they're controlling the dope, but rather the dope is controlling them. Petulant Child mentioned Parkinson's, which is a dopamine production deficiency condition. Dopamine is also one of the primary players in the reward system in the brain. So if weed increases dopamine release enough to ease Parkinson's, it is possible it also is grabbing people by the chemical reward system, you know - the same one where rats would choose to hit the pedal to get a jolt over the desire to eat, and do so until they starved

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    But, not all people who drink alcohol behave in ways that are pre-determined by the fact that they drink alcohol. They don’t all become alcoholics. We might use statistics to predict how many alcohol drinkers will become alcoholics.
    You don't have to. Those with the potential to become alcoholics are around 30%, and a mild to non-existent hangover effect is a strong predictor of that tendency

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I've yet to be convinced that the billions we've poured into our attempts to prohibit people from using a plant
    Poppies are a plant, coca is a plant, belladonna is a plant, hemlock is a plant. The whole idea that because something occurs in nature it is automatically harmless and wonderful is magical thinking. Gaia is just another name for the lady who is "... red in tooth and claw" and she would kill you without a second thought

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Poppies are a plant, coca is a plant, belladonna is a plant, hemlock is a plant. The whole idea that because something occurs in nature it is automatically harmless and wonderful is magical thinking. Gaia is just another name for the lady who is "... red in tooth and claw" and she would kill you without a second thought
    And? All of them should be completely absent from the law. I can't figure out if it's the complete failure of the attempts to prohibit people from taking part of these substances or the illogical desire to control what other people do that keeps this issue alive.

Right now, at this very moment, I have neighbors who are doing God knows what within their homes. It isn't hurting me in any way, shape or form so why should I care? What right do I have to tell them what they can or cannot do with their own body on their own property?

I'm not claiming cannabis is the end all, be all cure for what ails humanity and that it should be encouraged at every turn. It is a plant. Not man made like alcohol or cocaine, meth, heroin, etc. Its benefits are well documented. Can it cause harm? Sure, but what right do I have to interfere with someone else doing what they want?

The end (a costly and ineffective attempt at prohibition) does not justify the means (interfering with a person's right to utilize a plant) in this instance. We've got lots of other ****ed up laws which should be the focus of legitimate attention from people. If someone can get themselves to think outside of their training on the issue it becomes very simple.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Heck, if I want decongestants that actually work (pseudoephedrine) I have to show DL and sign, so I think they're also 'discouraging' trying to buy too many of those so you can't home-brew meth
    It’s purpose is not to discourage you as a legitimate consumer of an over-the-counter medicine. It’s to try to catch people who exhibit purchasing patterns that might indicate that they’re using it to make meth.

It’s a compromise between states and manufacturers to keep Sudafed non-prescription. Because of an out of control meth problem, states wanted to make products with PSE in it prescription only. Manufacturers wanted it to remain over-the-counter. So the compromise was to track PSE sales. So now they have to scan your DL and make you sign.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You don't have to. Those with the potential to become alcoholics are around 30%, and a mild to non-existent hangover effect is a strong predictor of that tendency
    That makes my point. Those statistics make alcohol use somewhat predictable in terms of deterministic behavior. Not 100% predictable or even 50% predictable. MJ is in the same class in my opinion. People predisposed to addiction will get addicted to whatever.

I’m not making a case to use either alcohol or mj, or any other drug. Like I said, my preference is not to use either. I don’t think it’s productive or practical to spend the money to try to stop it. It’s not gonna stop those negative affects on society. It has only gotten worse since we’ve started trying. I’m just making the case to stop making things worse.

Top Bottom