• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    the new system is great for uploading/attaching images, etc. But how do I delete items from My Media albums? If I select several pictures I wish to delete, the only option is to move the media items with only one choice for location.

Is there not a way I can select photos and delete them?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Was there ever an answer to this question?

I was testing some video uploading and don't want to use unnecessary space with bad video data and pictures.

Need to delete some videos and pictures

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Was there ever an answer to this question?

I was testing some video uploading and don't want to use unnecessary space with bad video data and pictures.

Need to delete some videos and pictures
    Agreed, did a very, very brief review to see if I could delete a pic from an album, and couldn't easily see how to do it.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Same here... I have a bunch of pics in my albums that are irrelevant now I've tried all kinds of thing to nuke them with no success.
    Idea's?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've never used that feature here, so I'm of no help. Just curious as to why anyone would use it when there are sites like imgur, etc. that will host your pics and videos for free? Actually with the new software there's no need to host regular pics anywhere. I copy/paste them from my computer directly into a post.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've never used that feature here, so I'm of no help. Just curious as to why anyone would use it when there are sites like imgur, etc. that will host your pics and videos for free? Actually with the new software there's no need to host regular pics anywhere. I copy/paste them from my computer directly into a post.
    Its the easiest way to do it. But since its not fully implemented as a feature, storage space is VERY limited.

For a quick one-off question, its not a bad solution. But after a couple years or if you want to add animated gifs to conversations frequently, you run out of space VERY quickly.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And from the developer/host side, I could see why Tex wouldnt want those pictures deleted. Deleting the source of a linked object "breaks" the post(s) where it is linked.

For example. You create a post and upload a picture. For instance, a "what is this for?" post.

Two years later you delete the picture because you need more space. Now two years after the fact, whenever a noob opens your post, they still see the "what is this?" post, but instead of a photo, it contains a broken link error placeholder. So after the delete your related post(s) look like crap and are at least semi-unusable.

And if you dont think its an issue, think back to the classifieds shortly after one of the online image sharing providers made hotlinks a premium feature. As soon as they did that, it broke those ads where the author didnt bother to pony up the cash to maintain hotlinking. the classies were a steaming hot pile of garbage for a while. (and probably are still if you go deep enough into the old ads.)

To keep the board clean looking, Tex would have to also cause any posts referring to the image to also delete. And I doubt he wants entire threads disappearing, or individual posts disappearing causing the threads to lose context/not make much sense. (posts quoting the content would also have to be deleted). That is probably a very heavy lift.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Its the easiest way to do it. But since its not fully implemented as a feature, storage space is VERY limited.

For a quick one-off question, its not a bad solution. But after a couple years or if you want to add animated gifs to conversations frequently, you run out of space VERY quickly.
    I just go get the animated gif's address and paste it in the Image icon up above the text box with the Link option. I don't need to store them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    And from the developer/host side, I could see why Tex wouldnt want those pictures deleted. Deleting the source of a linked object "breaks" the post(s) where it is linked.

For example. You create a post and upload a picture. For instance, a "what is this for?" post.

Two years later you delete the picture because you need more space. Now two years after the fact, whenever a noob opens your post, they still see the "what is this?" post, but instead of a photo, it contains a broken link error placeholder. So after the delete your related post(s) look like crap and are at least semi-unusable.

And if you dont think its an issue, think back to the classifieds shortly after one of the online image sharing providers made hotlinks a premium feature. As soon as they did that, it broke those ads where the author didnt bother to pony up the cash to maintain hotlinking. the classies were a steaming hot pile of garbage for a while. (and probably are still if you go deep enough into the old ads.)

To keep the board clean looking, Tex would have to also cause any posts referring to the image to also delete. And I doubt he wants entire threads disappearing, or individual posts disappearing causing the threads to lose context/not make much sense. (posts quoting the content would also have to be deleted). That is probably a very heavy lift.
    Again, I don't link my pics. It's a straight copy/paste from the source. Unlike the old platform where you had to link them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    For example, here's a "snip" from WTHR's weather page...

1644264326749.png

I didn't save it to my computer even. Just closed the snipping tool without saving. This pic won't go anywhere...

Top Bottom