Defending against dogs with lethal force?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Whistle pigs in the country, 22-250. Whistle pigs in the town, cross-bow.

I was saying this in general and not specifically aiming it at you.

TO add to this story, ONE of the dogs that was hassling my tenant's cattle for a time was my adult nephew's dog that lives on the farm on the part my sister owns.
    My tenant and family has known our family and farmed our ground for over 50 years was at a bit of a quandary about it.
    I TOLD him I don't care that it's my nephew's dog, if he judges he needs to shoot it to protect his cattle, then I'll back him up.
    AND I say this as a lover of good dogs, but sometimes it's necessary.
    I know, no worries. I thought my Uncle was in the wrong for not making sure his dog was kept chained up. The dog was a friendly dog, but evidently has a taste for pork.

Cheeki Breeki

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Muncie
    One day I let my gf’s pitbull outside in her backyard as usual whenever he’d whine to go out at the back door. Her family had an old German shepherd that lived outside in the yard it’s whole life and the pitbull went straight for her and got her by the throat then started dragging her through the dirt while shaking her like a rag doll. I ran out there and started hitting him as hard as I could around the eye/skull/mouth to get him to let go until my knuckles started to bleed. None of my strikes were effective and he wouldn’t let go and completely ignored me. I quickly stood up took a step back and kicked him in the mid section which lifted him off the ground a bit then he let go of the shepherd and looked up at me then started wagging his tail with his ears back and his head down as if he’d just snapped out of it. They had to put the shepherd down a few days later due to her injuries and ended up finding the pitbull a new home.

Ever since then I’ve carried OC spray just in case I ever have to deter any future aggressive doggos or bipedals because I’d rather de-escalate the potential
    violent situation non lethally with some capsaicin If and when at all possible than having the only option of resorting to lethal tools or having to scrap it out bare fisted and risk debilitating injuries or possibly worse. With that being said I did some reading on break sticks and they seem to be effective tools to have at the ready! I think they can be a good thing to put in a vehicle or have one while out walking or near a door leading outside.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Just out of curiosity, they re-homed a pitbull that, unprovoked, attacked and killed a German Shepherd?

Do I have that right?
    If you check the UKC standard, dog aggression is common in pitbulls.
    "Because most APBTs exhibit some level of dog aggression and because of its powerful physique, the APBT requires an owner who will carefully socialize and obedience train the dog."
    https://www.ukcdogs.com/american-pit-bull-terrier

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    If you check the UKC standard, dog aggression is common in pitbulls.
    "Because most APBTs exhibit some level of dog aggression and because of its powerful physique, the APBT requires an owner who will carefully socialize and obedience train the dog."
    https://www.ukcdogs.com/american-pit-bull-terrier
    Even then, there's no guarantee they won't be dog-aggressive. Since the German Shepherd was older, i wonder if it was a dominance thing, trying to move up in the pack.

jkoontzie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2020
    Mishawaka
    So discussing behavior of dog breeds, characteristics that may have been bred into them for centuries, is like discussing racial stereotypes? I had never looked at it that way. Huh.
    How do you breed violence? Asking for a friend?? :) Pit's aren't inherently violent.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    How do you breed violence? Asking for a friend?? :) Pit's aren't inherently violent.
    All dogs have the propensity for violence, they are pack animals. If you look at the numbers, small breeds bite far more often than larger breeds. The smaller breeds just don't do the damage that larger breeds can.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The same way you breed in passiveness, or height or strength, or small and long running on a spit near the hearth (see turnspit dog) - select animals that exhibit the traits you want, repeat, and voilà!

Without commenting on their practicality as a pet, it's a fact that bulldog were in the past indeed bred to be violent. And if you're a dog fighter, you're going to breed in violence to other dogs.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Even then, there's no guarantee they won't be dog-aggressive. Since the German Shepherd was older, i wonder if it was a dominance thing, trying to move up in the pack.
    And again.....do not take this wrong please.....they are basically and foremost just a dog. Even the family Fido has that instinct in them. Having seen dogs that pack up in the woods during the day and go back home at night.......the have been and always will be just dogs. They are not people no matter how much we try and hang that on them.

Be a good dog owner. A good one. Its akin to being a good parent. It takes time and effort.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    And again.....do not take this wrong please.....they are basically and foremost just a dog. Even the family Fido has that instinct in them. Having seen dogs that pack up in the woods during the day and go back home at night.......the have been and always will be just dogs. They are not people no matter how much we try and hang that on them.

Be a good dog owner. A good one. Its akin to being a good parent. It takes time and effort.
    That's why I have a cat. ;)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Bird dogs have been bred for centuries to have a heightened sense of smell and in pointers, the instinct to freeze in position. Some of that can be improved by training but the instinct is there. Anyone that doubts that has never watched a Brittany pup react to a bird wing on a string.

Top Bottom