Defending against dogs with lethal force?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    And at what point is THAT dog deemed "Unfixable"?

When it has killed another dog, severely injured a vhild or elderly adult?
    That's the $64,000 question. I guess I would tend to err on the side of putting down a dog that's displayed dangerous behavior in the past rather than hoping for rehabilitation, particularly when it's clear the own isn't willing or capable of properly handling the dog. My comment was more philosophical than anything.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    An EMS memory that never goes away. Watching a families pet, a pit bull, shake a toddler to death. We had to pry the dogs mouth open after a LEO killed the dog. The funeral was one of the saddest things I have ever done. This family pet had been around the child for nearly two years.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    If I remember correctly, pitbulls were originally bread to protect children. My issue is less about what the dog was bred to do, and more about it's personality. I've seen bird dogs that hunt close, and wait on their handler when tracking a bird. I've seen others that hunt 100 yds out, only hold point for a few seconds, and chase the birds like beagles on a rabbit. The latter has always been a byproduct of the handlers bad habits, not the dogs pedigree.

To each their own, but I'm not going to hold someone's choice of dog breed against them. Being an irresponsible dog handler, on the other hand, is another issue.
    I believe it was originally used for livestock. The intention was to add the agility of a terrier to the strength of a bulldog.

Cheeki Breeki

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Muncie
    Just out of curiosity, they re-homed a pitbull that, unprovoked, attacked and killed a German Shepherd?

Do I have that right?
    Yes. The new owner was well informed of his previous aggressive behavior and they sought a new home where he’d be a solitary animal since he didn’t do well around others, but acted seemingly fine alone around humans.
    That was an issue of dominance. I've seen it in breeds of all sizes, as well as in deer and other species. When an alpha sees a sign of weakness (including old age), especially from a non-alpha, they will take advantage of an opportunity if they find one. If you have a dog with an alpha personality, you have to recognize that and understand how to deal with it. It doesn't mean that the dog is a bad dog, it just means that extra training and precautions are needed to keep the dog in check. When done right, they are amazing companions and valuable additions to the family. When done poorly, you're probably going to end up on the nightly news.
    I agree. The old age and vulnerability had a lot to do with him singling out the shepherd, but he also fought with his twin brother a lot which is the same age as him but not nearly as aggressive. He must have got the dominant genes while the other brother got the recessive traits maybe?

The aggressive one coincidentally was named after the antagonist in The Lion King..

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    All I’m going to say is if the pit wanted to kill the smaller dog it would of been dead the moment it was in it mouth, I believe the lady with the switch made things worse screaming and acting all Karen ! She should of picked up her dog and that more then likely would of been the end of it. I feel bad for the pit. I have owned many pits good and bad . If that pit wanted to kill that little dog he would of charged right in and did it there wouldn’t be any pu$$y footing around about it !

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    When a shark is circling you in the water what are you thinking?

Always take a gun. Or a battle axe...or a really big hammer. Don't fight with flip flops; you may be in flip flops but don't fight with them if you don't have to. If you have to anything can be a weapon...they just aren't always the best weapons.
    Harsh, but I agree.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Buicks kill the body, Fords kill the soul.
    Ford kills the soul because it sucks the life out of you paying for all the repairs you end having to do to keep it running. :laugh:

As a reminder I do not pretend to be a comedian, or have I played one in a movie, and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

Just the facts ma'am, or sir, or it, or whatever you are......just get in your Pinto and we'll give you a push start.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.....wait was that a Buick Rendezvous that just went by or a Pontiac Aztec?.

Top Bottom