• ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    He needed another year. :):

Dang man, congrats! Have you had a chance to get a rough score?
    Even if he'd been guaranteed to put on another 20"+ again this year, I still don't think I'd have been dumb enough to pass him and see. Luckily, I didn't know what buck it was exactly so I never had a chance to even consider doing something like that. ;)

Thanks! We came up 176" gross typical and 156" net, which is higher grossing but slightly lower net than my previous best. However, he'll likely be scored as a nontypical and we came up with 189 gross and 182 net nontypical. He has a couple judgement calls in the scoring that I think we made correctly but won't know for sure until the rack is scored by a certified scorer.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Even if he'd been guaranteed to put on another 20"+ again this year, I still don't think I'd have been dumb enough to pass him and see. Luckily, I didn't know what buck it was exactly so I never had a chance to even consider doing something like that. ;)

Thanks! We came up 176" gross typical and 156" net, which is higher grossing but slightly lower net than my previous best. However, he'll likely be scored as a nontypical and we came up with 189 gross and 182 net nontypical. He has a couple judgement calls in the scoring that I think we made correctly but won't know for sure until the rack is scored by a certified scorer.
    Yeah just making fun of the comercial hunter dudes with the another year comment. I would've dropped the hammer even if I knew he was guaranteed to add another 30-40 inches the next year, because there's a slim chance I'd get another crack at him before someone else did. Might be a different story if I had 10000 acres of his home turf to hunt by myself, but there aren't many people in that situation.

Awesome buck man. Congrats again.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Yeah just making fun of the comercial hunter dudes with the another year comment. I would've dropped the hammer even if I knew he was guaranteed to add another 30-40 inches the next year, because there's a slim chance I'd get another crack at him before someone else did. Might be a different story if I had 10000 acres of his home turf to hunt by myself, but there aren't many people in that situation.

Awesome buck man. Congrats again.
    Thanks, again!

I get what you're saying and agree completely. I've passed plenty of nice bucks, not because I hoped they would get bigger and I would see them again but because they simply weren't mature enough. I can't think of a single one of those deer that I ever saw again despite several; of them surviving for multiple years and showing up in trail cam photos regularly. I actually did pass this buck last year but only because I wasn't comfortable with a 100+ yard offhand shot. I never expected to see that buck again. Interestingly, I think I saw this buck in person as many times as I had trail cam photos of him.

Here's the lone trail cam photo from last year. He probably added at least 20" this year but there would have been no thought of passing then if I'd had a better shot opportunity. In hindsight, I'm happy with the way things worked out though.
    T_00001 - 2021-11-30T100349.799.JPG

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Shot over the top of a doe this morning. It ran a ways then WALKED past my daughter. She passed cause it wasn't big enough. Sheesh.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    The second rut seems to be happening around me. I have started seeing bucks move again. Had 2 bucks chasing does last weekend and 3 different bucks fighting on trail cams this morning. Still hope for those still with a buck tag.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Had to wade across the creek tonight. Had a plump doe that tempted thine itchy finger. Then wisdom kicked in and I realized what it would take to drag her to the crossing and what kind of p.i.t.a. followed after soothing itchy finger. No shot fired.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Had to wade across the creek tonight. Had a plump doe that tempted thine itchy finger. Then wisdom kicked in and I realized what it would take to drag her to the crossing and what kind of p.i.t.a. followed after soothing itchy finger. No shot fired.
    I shot one that wasn't too big but big enough to finish filling my freezer and it hopped in a creek and died. Talk about a pain to drag it out and up over a steep hill.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I shot one that wasn't too big but big enough to finish filling my freezer and it hopped in a creek and died. Talk about a pain to drag it out and up over a steep hill.
    Little brother had to swim about 15 yds in late October to retrieve his 1st bow buck from the neighbors lake. Thought he was gonna get hypothermia walking home.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Shot a nice doe this morning. I'll never shoot another deer while hunting alone again. Thought I was going to die getting her drug out and up into the truck. I'm only 53 but today I felt 90.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Hubby keeps a couple of planks in his truck and a chain. He picks up roadkill (with permits of course) to use for coyote bait. Put the chain around their legs and drag them up the plank. He does complain when it is a big buck but works great for smaller deer when doing it alone.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Shot a nice doe this morning. I'll never shoot another deer while hunting alone again. Thought I was going to die getting her drug out and up into the truck. I'm only 53 but today I felt 90.
    I use one of these to haul stands and cameras into the woods and deer out. Works really well over rough terrain.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    268296814_10227249389679336_3245503025818041948_n.jpg

European mount of the buck I got 11/9

Top Bottom