• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    Finally decided to take a doe this evening. About a 75 yard shot, slightly quartering away. Shot was a little high put still hit both lungs. On the way in, the bullet shattered 3 ribs and shattered 2 more on the other side, but no exit wound. She didn’t take a step. I was using a 45-70 with the Hornady Leverevolution in 325gr. I like this a lot better than the Winchester Deer Season I used in my 6.5 creedmoor last year, even if a little restricted in range.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    This is a picture I got from my son in law Friday evening:

View attachment 168847

He said in the text, "eating green apple twizzlers and drawing on her computer, paper pencil to noisy in th blind.

Half hour later, Audrey calls Mamaw and me to ask if we would help her track her buck. So we met at their house, her mom (our youngest daughter) son in law, Audrey, Mamaw and I went to locate her buck. She found the first blood sign. As we were literally crawling into the woods she says, "guess you can call me the deerslayer now!". Half hour later, we have it located and dragging it out of the woods. Here is my youngest granddaughter with her first buck.

View attachment 168848

Of course being a first grader here is a funny picture:

View attachment 168849

At the taxidermist her dad was telling him he told her she should look for something wider than the ears. She went over to the deer's head and said look dad, as she stood the ears up like a German Shepard, see, way past the ears!! Great hunting all and stay safe. A proud grandpa (Bop) for sure.
    Should have it mounted with the ears like that.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I finally got the job done this morning. It's been a tough season for me. I didn't get to bow hunt the week before gun opener and that was probably the best time to be out. Once gun season started we weren't seeing hardly any deer. Hunted opening weekend and then had some obligations for the week I needed to deal with. Got back at it Friday morning and seen nothing Friday. A small buck, doe and yearling on Saturday. Rain out Sunday morning and seen nothing that evening. Monday morning I had 2 doe and 2 yearlings grouped together and seen nothing that evening. This morning started off slow. My bro in law sent me a text stating "I think they're all dead." That's how the season has been going. It wasn't 5 minutes later he sends me another text that says small buck headed my way. I'm not in a stand due to the amount of leaves still on the trees and general overgrowth in the area. I'm perched on a 5 gallon bucket overlooking an area and this deer will be coming in from my left. I stand up and put the gun on the monopod and wait. What seemed like forever (less than 5 minutes) I finally see some antlers. Looked decent enough and had a small window to make it happen. Let out the 'ol "meh", he stops, I pull the trigger only to realize the safety is still on. A brief panic and a flip of the safety (the deer hasn't moved) I squeeze the trigger and he drops. I immediately think spine shot. There was a lot of movement from him in the minutes after so I slowly trek towards him and administer a second shot. He raised his head and then slowly laid it back down and that was it for him. The gun I used was a within a month new 350 Legend upper, 18" barrel with a standard bird cage. Optic is a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6. I also have a trail cam close by and the buck walked in front right before I shot him. Where he was standing is off screen for the camera as you'll see in the pics below. He's an ok 8 that is missing his left brow tine.
    CF9mgrT.jpg

g6rQE0d.jpg

kqRAAgS.jpg

My back is to the cam and the other guy is my bro in law.
    fpo4Jpm.jpg

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    My little man bang flopped a fat doe with a suppressed 243. What a sweet sweet sound that is, an 80 Barnes slamming through both shoulders sounds like a pumpkin getting hit with a baseball bat. His duty is to skin her out while I'm at work today. It'll be interesting what I come home to tonight.

Attachments

• KIMG1478.JPG
      KIMG1478.JPG
      20.8 KB · Views: 19

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Just sat down in the stand, hadn't even pulled the gun up yet and I see a green light moving through my woods. Pull my gun up and wait for him to get closer. Shine my light on him...

Him: whoa...
    Me: you're trespassing
    H: sorry man...it shows I'm right on the property line
    M: that's over there
    H: you on *last name*?
    H: sorry man...

Off he walks.

Note that there is no way to get where he was, coming from the direction he did, and stay off of my property. He took the shortcut through my property to get to theirs, rather than walk all the way on theirs.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Just sat down in the stand, hadn't even pulled the gun up yet and I see a green light moving through my woods. Pull my gun up and wait for him to get closer. Shine my light on him...

Him: whoa...
    Me: you're trespassing
    H: sorry man...it shows I'm right on the property line
    H: you on *last name*?
    H: sorry man...

Off he walks.

Note that there is no way to get where he was, coming from the direction he did, and stay off of my property. He took the shortcut through my property to get to theirs, rather than walk all the way on theirs.

That hunt on the property line stuff gets old. I have two neighbors on the south side that have big permanent ground blinds 3 yards from the fence. I'm surprised the barbed wire doesn't get cut more often.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    That hunt on the property line stuff gets old. I have two neighbors on the south side that have big permanent ground blinds 3 yards from the fence. I'm surprised the barbed wire doesn't get cut more often.
    To be fair, I'm basically hunting the property line...it's about 40yds away...but I'm also on the edge of my field and a finger of my woods where everything comes together.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I can understand that. When I was younger I hunted under more crowded conditions and around more domestic dogs.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    To be fair, I'm basically hunting the property line...it's about 40yds away...but I'm also on the edge of my field and a finger of my woods where everything comes together.
    Guy basically came from the woods where I crossed out the names. Crossed a little creek by the yellow marker then came toward me (blue dot). Ended up southwest of me just west of the pond. I could see him for a while but he must have moved.

20211124_102745.jpg

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    Glad to see some people are having luck. I hunt in ripley county and it has been very slow for us. My brother took a small buck opening morning and I shot a small doe as I was walking out to help him drag his buck. Other then that we say 4 small bucks fallowing each other down the fence on the neighbors property. When we were leaving Wednesday night 3 does ran across the driveway right in front of us.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    My daughter has seen a doe with a broken leg twice. Yesterday about a half hour before legal light and this afternoon it hobbled into the neighbors woods before she could shoot. Hope to get her before the coyotes.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Sat from 6:30am til noon yesterday and 6:30 to 10:15 today. Never saw a deer. Getting discouraged, but not giving up. Going to try a new spot on the ground this afternoon.

I need to do some work this spring...food plots, clear trails...

Top Bottom